    same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can borrow
    from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    PBody, Oct 6, 2005

  2. "PBody" <> wrote in message
    news:hyg1f.421$...
    > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    > stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    > hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the next.
    > Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and
    > the zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    > pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me
    > shoot a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual
    > zoom was fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and
    > then back in as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I
    > never noticed the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the
    > camera. I really don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I
    > need reasons not to get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will
    > be as fast and in the same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact
    > flash cards I can borrow from work however they are only single speed
    > cards. How much faster am I going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    If price is a big concern you might want to look for a used DSLR. Maybe a
    used Rebel. Locally there are advertisements today for $450-$600, with the
    kit lens. Like this one

    http://www.craigslist.org/eby/for/101789168.html

    Dave R knows who, Oct 6, 2005

  3. "PBody" <> writes:

    > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    > stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    > hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the next.
    > Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and the
    > zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    > pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me shoot
    > a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom was
    > fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back in
    > as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I never noticed
    > the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera. I really
    > don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not to
    > get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and in the
    > same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can borrow
    > from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    > going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    The Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT in the US, something else in Japan)
    is half the price of a 20D, and almost as fast. It does 3 fps, the
    20D does 5 fps. Picture quality is more or less the same.

    As for card speeds, the 350D will write at something close to 10MB/s.
    The slow/cheap cards are not as fast as the camera, and the fastest
    cards are faster than the camera needs. That said, card speeds only
    become important if you shoot bursts of more than 10 pictures or so
    without pausing.

    --
    Måns Rullgård

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, Oct 6, 2005
  4. "PBody" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    > stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    > hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the next.
    > Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and
    > the zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    > pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me
    > shoot a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual
    > zoom was fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and
    > then back in as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I
    > never noticed the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the
    > camera. I really don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I
    > need reasons not to get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will
    > be as fast and in the same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact
    > flash cards I can borrow from work however they are only single speed
    > cards. How much faster am I going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    The Rebel XT (or 350D) is a very close competitor.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 6, 2005
  5. PBody

    Z Guest

    I looked at both - and ended up taking the rebel xt home - couldn't justify
    the extra cost with the 20D -

    Z, Oct 6, 2005
  6. PBody

    Rich Guest

    Lock ups?
    The inability to read lens info unless the contacts are super clean?
    No spot metering?
    No sensor cleaning?

    Other than that, it's a nice camera.

    Rich, Oct 6, 2005
  7. PBody

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Måns Rullgård" <> wrote in message
    > "PBody" <> writes:
    >
    > > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    > > stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    > > hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the

    next.
    > > Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and

    the
    > > zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    > > pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me

    shoot
    > > a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom

    was
    > > fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back

    in
    > > as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I never

    noticed
    > > the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera. I

    really
    > > don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not

    > > get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and in

    the
    > > same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can

    borrow
    > > from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    > > going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    > The Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT in the US, something else in Japan)
    > is half the price of a 20D, and almost as fast. It does 3 fps, the
    > 20D does 5 fps. Picture quality is more or less the same.
    >
    > As for card speeds, the 350D will write at something close to 10MB/s.
    > The slow/cheap cards are not as fast as the camera, and the fastest
    > cards are faster than the camera needs. That said, card speeds only
    > become important if you shoot bursts of more than 10 pictures or so
    > without pausing.
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård

    I think it's closer to 5 megs a sec, but still good.

    Dirty Harry, Oct 6, 2005
  8. PBody

    Frank ess Guest

    Z wrote:
    > I looked at both - and ended up taking the rebel xt home - couldn't
    > justify the extra cost with the 20D -

    Reasons not to buy the 20D? As opposed to what?

    Sorry, I can't help you. 20D seems to me to be the best compromise
    among capability, physical presence, and cost.

    I have a RebXT also, and wish I'd saved up for another month to get a
    second 20D. Not that there is a big difference in output, but the 20D
    seems to me to make it all easier.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Oct 6, 2005
  9. PBody

    Alex Guest

    Can't compare the 350D with the 20 as haven't tried the 20D, but my 350D is
    a joy to use...and speed is so much more noticeable that my non-SLR digital

    In terms of CF cards, this is the best comparison of cards using a 350D and
    gives a useful view of the write speed capability if them. I assume the 20D
    would manage marginally greater write speeds if it can do 5 rather than 3
    burst.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 6, 2005
  10. PBody

    Alex Guest

    And after having read the 'science bit' at the bottomfor the first time, I
    just noticed there is also a link to a similar test for the 20D on another
    page.

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 6, 2005
  11. On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:20:13 GMT, "PBody"
    <> wrote:

    > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    >stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    >hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the next.
    >Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and the
    >zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    >pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me shoot
    >a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom was
    >fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back in
    >as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I never noticed
    >the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera. I really
    >don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not to
    >get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and in the
    >same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can borrow
    >from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    >going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    Get it. You don't have the money now but structure a plan to get it.
    Cut down on food and vices.

    It is worth it.

    "Moderation in temper is always a virtue;
    moderation in principle is always a vice."

    Thomas Paine
    "Rights of Men" (1791)

    John A. Stovall, Oct 7, 2005
  12. PBody

    SMS Guest

    PBody wrote:
    > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    > stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    > hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the next.
    > Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and the
    > zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    > pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me shoot
    > a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom was
    > fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back in
    > as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I never noticed
    > the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera. I really
    > don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not to
    > get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and in the
    > same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can borrow
    > from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    > going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    The 20D's only real flaw is the lack of spot metering. So if you need
    spot metering, then don't get it.

    Don't base your buying decision on the 1x CF cards you have. You'll want
    at least 50x cards. A 2GB 50x card is $100.

    SMS, Oct 7, 2005
  13. PBody

    Alex Guest

    Can you set the 20D to meter in the centre zone only - like you can on the
    350D?

    Alex

    Alex, Oct 7, 2005
  14. PBody

    Bill Guest

    PBody wrote:

    > A friend of mine had a 20D he let me shoot a little bit.

    I had the option of getting the 20D, but opted for the smaller and
    lighter XT after using one for a full day. The differences are minimal
    and you can get used to those differences fairly easily, including the
    small size.

    But everyone has their own needs and opinions.

    > That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom was
    >fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back in
    >as it went away.

    That's mainly a function of the lense, so the body doesn't matter. Both
    the 20D and XT will work the same.

    > It seemed every picture was in focus and I never noticed
    >the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera.

    The Rebel XT is very similar in this regard. The AF is fast, and the
    memory card write speed is about the same as the 20D.

    > I really
    >don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not to
    >get it.

    If you feel you really need the few features it has over the Rebel XT,
    then save up and get the 20D. It's a great camera.

    For me it's all about the glass in front of the body though, so I bought
    the XT to save nearly $800 CDN. That just about paid for the very nice
    17-40 f/4 L lense I use on the XT.

    > Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and in the
    >same price range?

    Not in the immediate future that I'm aware of.

    > I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can borrow
    >from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    >going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    All current DSLR cameras have a buffer to store rapid shots before
    writing them to the memory card. The size of the buffer varies on
    different models, but as long as you don't need to exceed the size of
    the buffer, the card speed isn't an issue.

    Action and/or sports are the two big factors for taking burst shots. So
    far, I've never had to wait for the camera to catch up. I've only filled
    the buffer once, when I first bought the camera and tested all of it's
    features.

    Having said that, READING the cards is another story...the 1x cards will
    be much slower downloading the images to your computer. You could always
    use the slow cards for now, and buy a faster card later when finances
    allow.

    Bill, Oct 7, 2005
  15. PBody

    Guest

    I have a 5700, an 8800 and a D50.
    Forget about the 8800 and get a D50 w/ the 2 lens setup for $950+/-
    The D50 is an incredible performer for the price!
    I love my 5700 and still use it as a backup.

    <> wrote:

    > I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    >stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a couple
    >hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of you the next.
    >Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800 where blurry and the
    >zoom was to slow to keep up with the action. Recycle time for taking
    >pictures was also very horrible. A friend of mine had a 20D he let me shoot
    >a little bit. That camera was a pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom was
    >fast enough to zoom ou tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back in
    >as it went away. It seemed every picture was in focus and I never noticed
    >the recycle time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera. I really
    >don't have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not to
    >get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and in the
    >same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards I can borrow
    >from work however they are only single speed cards. How much faster am I
    >going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    , Oct 7, 2005
  16. PBody

    Mark² Guest

    Dave R knows who wrote:
    > "PBody" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Nikon 8800 and was shooting pictures of motorcycles doing
    >> stunts. This is a pretty hard subject since the bike might be a
    >> couple hundred yards away one second then a couple feet in fron of
    >> you the next. Anyway I would guess 50% of the pictures with the 8800
    >> where blurry and the zoom was to slow to keep up with the action.
    >> Recycle time for taking pictures was also very horrible. A friend of
    >> mine had a 20D he let me shoot a little bit. That camera was a
    >> pleasure to shoot with. The manual zoom was fast enough to zoom ou
    >> tas teh bike was coming towards me and then back in as it went away.
    >> It seemed every picture was in focus and I never noticed the recycle
    >> time being slow so that I had to wait on the camera. I really don't
    >> have the money right now to buy this camera so I need reasons not to
    >> get it. Is there a newer camera coming out that will be as fast and
    >> in the same price range? I have a bunch of 1 gig compact flash cards
    >> I can borrow from work however they are only single speed cards. How
    >> much faster am I going to be able to shoot with faster cards?

    > If price is a big concern you might want to look for a used DSLR.
    > Maybe a used Rebel. Locally there are advertisements today for
    > $450-$600, with the kit lens. Like this one
    >
    > http://www.craigslist.org/eby/for/101789168.html

    Good GRAVY!
    Who's looking at the *camera* in that set of...well...pictures??
    :)

    Mark², Oct 7, 2005
  17. Captain Blammo, Oct 7, 2005
  18. "Captain Blammo" <> wrote in message
    >> > http://www.craigslist.org/eby/for/101789168.html

    >> Good GRAVY!
    >> Who's looking at the *camera* in that set of...well...pictures??
    >> :)

    > We'll never know now; the post's been deleted :-(

    Still there as far as I can tell

    Dave R knows who, Oct 7, 2005
  19. "Dave R knows who" <> wrote in message

    > "Captain Blammo" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Good GRAVY!
    >>> Who's looking at the *camera* in that set of...well...pictures??
    >>> :)

    >> We'll never know now; the post's been deleted :-(

    > Still there as far as I can tell

    Oops. I hit refresh and now the 'twins' are gone, and the Rebel too.

    Dave R knows who, Oct 7, 2005
  20. PBody

    Mark² Guest

    Mark², Oct 7, 2005