I need NiMH battery charger advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by IntX, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. IntX

    IntX Guest

    Hi,

    I have a mp3 player which uses a 'single' AAA battery at a time. It also
    shuts itself down when it thinks the battery is low (to prevent memory
    loss, I believe.) This is likely to leave two batteries at seperate charge
    levels.

    However there seems to very little battery chargers, excluding the Maha CH-
    401F, which seems to be quite rare and expensive which can charge an
    individual battery at a time. And according to a competitor's site,
    http://www.ripvan100.com, they claim the batteries aren't really charged at
    peak levels because of the individual charging.

    I'm wondering if there are any other good chargers that can do individual
    battery charging, that isn't quite as expensive.

    Or, if it really matters to have an individual charging bay. However, from
    what I've read, if the two batteries are at different levels, it's likely
    one will become overcharged or the other undercharged, and will cause
    damage to the battery.

    Thanks in advance,
    Ken
    IntX, Sep 19, 2003

  2. There are a number of intelligent chargers. They should start at about
    $30 US. Since they change so often, I will let others make some
    suggestions. Mine is a year or two old and I am sure it has been replaced
    at least two times.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 19, 2003

  3. IntX

    JM Guest

    quoting:
    >I have a mp3 player which uses a 'single' AAA battery at a time. It also
    >shuts itself down when it thinks the battery is low (to prevent memory
    >loss, I believe.) This is likely to leave two batteries at seperate charge
    >levels.
    >
    >However there seems to very little battery chargers, excluding the Maha CH-
    >401F, which seems to be quite rare and expensive which can charge an
    >individual battery at a time. And according to a competitor's site,
    >http://www.ripvan100.com, they claim the batteries aren't really charged at
    >peak levels because of the individual charging.
    >
    >I'm wondering if there are any other good chargers that can do individual
    >battery charging, that isn't quite as expensive.
    >
    >Or, if it really matters to have an individual charging bay. However, from
    >what I've read, if the two batteries are at different levels, it's likely
    >one will become overcharged or the other undercharged, and will cause
    >damage to the battery.

    The Rayovac PS4 has individual charging. This site has a good deal on it.

    http://tinyurl.com/nw4t
    JM, Sep 19, 2003
  4. IntX

    Mike Fields Guest

    I have the Maha 401 and really like it. I don't know about
    it being hard to find -- Thomas Distributing seems to have
    them (where I got mine).
    http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
    and it seems to work very well both at home and in the
    car with the car adapter.

    --
    Mike "mikey" Fields
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

    Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
    Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

    Mike Fields, Sep 19, 2003
  5. IntX

    bmuller Guest

    "Mike Fields" <> wrote in message
    > I have the Maha 401 and really like it. I don't know about
    > it being hard to find -- Thomas Distributing seems to have
    > them (where I got mine).
    > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
    > and it seems to work very well both at home and in the
    > car with the car adapter.

    I second that. I got my MAHA at Thomas, and am very happy with the service
    of Thomas, and the charging of the MAHA.
    I wouldn't quibble about a few cents difference. I'd get the MAHA.
    bmuller, Sep 19, 2003
  6. IntX

    Bob D. Guest

    I'm using the V-6988 model (don't know the brand) I bought from
    batteryspace.com. It charges any combination of 10 AA/AAAs. It's a "smart"
    charger and charges each battery independently. Each battery has it's own
    light indicator. Red means charging, green means fully charged and no light
    means the battery is bad. I also have a mp3 player that uses a single AAA.
    This is the only charger I've seen that doesn't charge batteries in pairs.
    I'm so impressed with this charger, that I just ordered a second one. (I
    have a lot of battery operated devices.) BTW, this model is not a rapid
    charger. A run down battery will take at least over night. Batteryspace.com
    also sells high capacity NiMHs very reasonably. In fact, the charger comes
    with 10 2000mAhr AAs.

    --
    Bob D.

    Bob D., Sep 19, 2003
  7. IntX

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    "bmuller" <> wrote:

    > "Mike Fields" <> wrote in message
    > > I have the Maha 401 and really like it. I don't know about
    > > it being hard to find -- Thomas Distributing seems to have
    > > them (where I got mine).
    > > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
    > > and it seems to work very well both at home and in the
    > > car with the car adapter.

    > I second that. I got my MAHA at Thomas, and am very happy with the service
    > of Thomas, and the charging of the MAHA.
    > I wouldn't quibble about a few cents difference. I'd get the MAHA.

    Ansmann Powerline 4 or 6, Digispeed 4, Energy 8 or 16 cann all charge
    any number of cells at one time (from 1 cell to 12, AA or AAA depending
    on the unit)

    --
    HP Marketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Sep 19, 2003
  8. IntX <> writes:

    >However there seems to very little battery chargers, excluding the Maha CH-
    >401F, which seems to be quite rare and expensive which can charge an
    >individual battery at a time. And according to a competitor's site,
    >http://www.ripvan100.com, they claim the batteries aren't really charged at
    >peak levels because of the individual charging.

    >I'm wondering if there are any other good chargers that can do individual
    >battery charging, that isn't quite as expensive.

    There are lots of chargers now that can charge individual cells. The
    Rayovac PS4 does. The Kodak K2000 does. The Panasonic BQ-390A does.
    Probably all the Ansmann ones too.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Sep 19, 2003
  9. "IntX" <> wrote in message

    >However there seems to very little battery chargers, excluding
    >the Maha CH-401F, which seems to be quite rare and expensive
    >which can charge an individual battery at a time.

    The CH-401F is widely available.

    Lenmar has two chargers that can charge single cells.

    Mach1AA 1-4
    Pro541 1-4, also 9V

    However the Mach1AA is $40 (with 4 AA cells).
    http://www.zbattery.com/zbattery/mscaa.html
    no cheaper than the Maha.

    As someone else pointed out, the RAYOVAC PS4-B
    http://www.loftynotion.com/item.asp?ProductID=4002
    also charges individually. This will be your least expensive
    option.

    Ansmann has two chargers that will do single cells,
    but they are very expensive. Go to Adorama.com
    and search for Ansmann.

    The charger to end all chargers is the GPMM 3150 Electrifly
    Triton DC Computerized, Charger, Discharger, and Cycler.
    This unit will charge 1-24 NiCad or NiMH batteries, 1-4 Li-Ion
    or Li-Po batteries, and 6V, 12V, and 24V lead acid batteries.
    It requires connection to a car battery, or to a hefty DC power
    supply (13 amps). $128 without a DC power supply. You'll be
    at over $150 by the time you buy a power supply and pay for
    shipping. You actually can use a much lower amperage power
    supply if you are not trying to charge a lot of batteries at
    a fast charge rate.
    http://store.yahoo.com/hobby-warehouse/grpltrdccope.html
    Steven M. Scharf, Sep 20, 2003
  10. IntX

    Dr Marti Guest

    i use HAMA + 4 NiMH 2000 - its very cheap
    Dr Marti, Sep 20, 2003
  11. IntX

    Ian Stirling Guest

    In sci.chem.electrochem.battery IntX <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a mp3 player which uses a 'single' AAA battery at a time. It also
    > shuts itself down when it thinks the battery is low (to prevent memory
    > loss, I believe.) This is likely to leave two batteries at seperate charge
    > levels.

    The alternative is to have several AAA cells on trickle charge in a really
    cheap charger.
    Works for me.

    (Also, you may find it handy to add a minimag-lite to your keyring, so
    that you can swap batteries, and keep a fresh one in the light)

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: | Ian Stirling.
    The fight between good and evil, an epic battle. Darth vader and Luke,
    Ian Stirling, Sep 20, 2003
  12. IntX <> wrote in message news:<Xns93FAC43222249intxdespammedcom@66.185.95.104>...

    > I'm wondering if there are any other good chargers that can do individual
    > battery charging, that isn't quite as expensive.

    The Panasonic BQ390 ($20 at Costco, with 4AA and two AAA cells)
    appears that it does single cells (from the information printed
    on the packaging).

    Can't find the instruction manual for this or any mention of
    it all on the Panasonic web site. But the packaging lists
    charge times for 1-2 cells or 3-4 cells, implying that an
    odd number of cells can be charged.

    You could always buy it and return it if the packaging
    is incorrect.
    Steven Scharf, Sep 23, 2003
  13. "Dave Martindale" <> wrote in message

    > There are lots of chargers now that can charge individual cells. The
    > Rayovac PS4 does. The Kodak K2000 does. The Panasonic BQ-390A does.
    > Probably all the Ansmann ones too.

    The BQ390 is sold at Costco for $20, with six batteries included (4 AA, 2
    AAA)..
    Figure that the batteries cost $1 each, so the charger alone is costing $14.
    Steven M. Scharf, Sep 23, 2003
  14. "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message

    > The BQ390 is sold at Costco for $20, with six batteries included
    > (4 AA, 2 AAA)..

    Actually it comes with 6 AA (2100 mA) and 2 AAA, for
    $20.

    Probably the best deal out there on a charger than
    can do individual cells.
    Steven Scharf, Sep 28, 2003
  15. IntX

    IntX Guest

    (Steven Scharf) wrote in

    > "Steven M. Scharf" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The BQ390 is sold at Costco for $20, with six batteries included
    >> (4 AA, 2 AAA)..

    > Actually it comes with 6 AA (2100 mA) and 2 AAA, for
    > $20.
    >
    > Probably the best deal out there on a charger than
    > can do individual cells.

    bleh, I need to live in America.
    IntX, Oct 3, 2003