I need last comments on digital cameras (high end/ SLR)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aniramca@yahoo.com, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    choose when I plan to get one in the near future. I am thinking about
    high end digital camera or SLR model, but not customized or expensive
    brands. I am comparing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic-Lumix, Olympus,
    Fuji, Samsung and Sony. Konica/Minolta is out of the picture now.
    When I went to visit the dpreview site in the internet
    (www.dpreview.com), and look for comments from the users, I seem to get
    the following picture for digital SLR or SLR like camera (Panasonic FZ
    27/50 style):
    Pentax cameras appears to win in term of cusomer satisfaction (avg
    4.8/5.0). Samsung has very excellent rating (close to 5/5), but only
    limited user's comment (based on only 1 or 2 comments!). I knew that
    Samsung and Pentax essentially has the same digital SLR technology.
    The second rating goes to Panasonic/Lumix - about 4.6/5.0 rating. Based
    on over 100 reviewers.
    The third rating is either Sony alpha, Canon and Nikon. They are all in
    the rating ranges around 4.3/5.0
    What would be your comment on the above? Should I get a Pentax K100 or
    1st for my next digital SLR. I have been eyeing the Lumix/Panasonic FZ
    50 for a while, and wonder whether I should go to full digital SLR or
    The FZ-50. Panasonic has also a digital SLR model, but I think they are
    very expensive.
    Thanks for comments.
    PS.
    I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    various cameras, I end up getting confused, as every sites seems to be
    biased or promote one brand over the others (perhaps depending on what
    cameras they are representing, or being paid for to review).

    , Jan 11, 2007

  2. ray Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:01:46 -0800, aniramca wrote:

    > I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    > choose when I plan to get one in the near future. I am thinking about
    > high end digital camera or SLR model, but not customized or expensive
    > brands. I am comparing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic-Lumix, Olympus,
    > Fuji, Samsung and Sony. Konica/Minolta is out of the picture now.

    Actually, Sony bought Konica/Minolta - their most recent offerings are of
    that lineage.

    ray, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Rich Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    > choose when I plan to get one in the near future. I am thinking about
    > high end digital camera or SLR model, but not customized or expensive
    > brands. I am comparing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic-Lumix, Olympus,
    > Fuji, Samsung and Sony. Konica/Minolta is out of the picture now.
    > When I went to visit the dpreview site in the internet
    > (www.dpreview.com), and look for comments from the users, I seem to get
    > the following picture for digital SLR or SLR like camera (Panasonic FZ
    > 27/50 style):
    > Pentax cameras appears to win in term of cusomer satisfaction (avg
    > 4.8/5.0). Samsung has very excellent rating (close to 5/5), but only
    > limited user's comment (based on only 1 or 2 comments!). I knew that
    > Samsung and Pentax essentially has the same digital SLR technology.
    > The second rating goes to Panasonic/Lumix - about 4.6/5.0 rating. Based
    > on over 100 reviewers.
    > The third rating is either Sony alpha, Canon and Nikon. They are all in
    > the rating ranges around 4.3/5.0
    > What would be your comment on the above? Should I get a Pentax K100 or
    > 1st for my next digital SLR. I have been eyeing the Lumix/Panasonic FZ
    > 50 for a while, and wonder whether I should go to full digital SLR or
    > The FZ-50. Panasonic has also a digital SLR model, but I think they are
    > very expensive.
    > Thanks for comments.
    > PS.

    Unless you absolutely need all in one, get a DSLR. Olympus has a high
    satisfaction rating, but right now, Nikon IMO, have the best offerings
    in the D40 and D80, compared to the competition. But personally, I
    would decide what the bulk of your shooting will be of and choose a
    camera based on that.

    Rich, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Kinon O'Cann Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    > choose when I plan to get one in the near future. I am thinking about
    > high end digital camera or SLR model, but not customized or expensive
    > brands. I am comparing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic-Lumix, Olympus,
    > Fuji, Samsung and Sony. Konica/Minolta is out of the picture now.
    > When I went to visit the dpreview site in the internet
    > (www.dpreview.com), and look for comments from the users, I seem to get
    > the following picture for digital SLR or SLR like camera (Panasonic FZ
    > 27/50 style):
    > Pentax cameras appears to win in term of cusomer satisfaction (avg
    > 4.8/5.0). Samsung has very excellent rating (close to 5/5), but only
    > limited user's comment (based on only 1 or 2 comments!). I knew that
    > Samsung and Pentax essentially has the same digital SLR technology.
    > The second rating goes to Panasonic/Lumix - about 4.6/5.0 rating. Based
    > on over 100 reviewers.
    > The third rating is either Sony alpha, Canon and Nikon. They are all in
    > the rating ranges around 4.3/5.0
    > What would be your comment on the above? Should I get a Pentax K100 or
    > 1st for my next digital SLR. I have been eyeing the Lumix/Panasonic FZ
    > 50 for a while, and wonder whether I should go to full digital SLR or
    > The FZ-50. Panasonic has also a digital SLR model, but I think they are
    > very expensive.
    > Thanks for comments.
    > PS.
    > I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    > notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    > various cameras, I end up getting confused, as every sites seems to be
    > biased or promote one brand over the others (perhaps depending on what
    > cameras they are representing, or being paid for to review).

    What are your needs? Snapshots? Action? Night shots?

    Kinon O'Cann, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Guest

    spa

  6. wrote:
    > I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    > choose when I plan to get one in the near future.

    []
    > What would be your comment on the above?

    Go into the shop and handle the different cameras - see which suits you
    best. Unless you need the ability to add lenses or work in low light
    situations with a high ISO, a DLSR camera system may be a heavy and
    expensive solution.

    David J Taylor, Jan 11, 2007
  7. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    > choose when I plan to get one in the near future. I am thinking about
    > high end digital camera or SLR model, but not customized or expensive
    > brands. I am comparing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic-Lumix, Olympus,
    > Fuji, Samsung and Sony. Konica/Minolta is out of the picture now.
    > When I went to visit the dpreview site in the internet
    > (www.dpreview.com), and look for comments from the users, I seem to get
    > the following picture for digital SLR or SLR like camera (Panasonic FZ
    > 27/50 style):
    > Pentax cameras appears to win in term of cusomer satisfaction (avg
    > 4.8/5.0). Samsung has very excellent rating (close to 5/5), but only
    > limited user's comment (based on only 1 or 2 comments!). I knew that
    > Samsung and Pentax essentially has the same digital SLR technology.
    > The second rating goes to Panasonic/Lumix - about 4.6/5.0 rating. Based
    > on over 100 reviewers.
    > The third rating is either Sony alpha, Canon and Nikon. They are all in
    > the rating ranges around 4.3/5.0
    > What would be your comment on the above? Should I get a Pentax K100 or
    > 1st for my next digital SLR. I have been eyeing the Lumix/Panasonic FZ
    > 50 for a while, and wonder whether I should go to full digital SLR or
    > The FZ-50. Panasonic has also a digital SLR model, but I think they are
    > very expensive.
    > Thanks for comments.
    > PS.
    > I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    > notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    > various cameras, I end up getting confused, as every sites seems to be
    > biased or promote one brand over the others (perhaps depending on what
    > cameras they are representing, or being paid for to review).

    Hi.

    Working out %age satisfaction rates like you quote is irrelevant. You do
    not know anything about the abilities of those users, and don't even know if
    they can tell a quality image from a rubbish one.

    If you were seeking advice from people you actually know, then that would be
    different.

    Which camera is best for you depends on a range of factors. The only way
    to know is to handle them in real life. Once you know which ones feel good
    to you, then you can compare features and make a choice.

    There are not any really bad DSLRs in any of the makes you quote, but some
    are a bit better than others.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 11, 2007
  8. Doug Robbins Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > Working out %age satisfaction rates like you quote is irrelevant. You do
    > not know anything about the abilities of those users, and don't even know
    > if they can tell a quality image from a rubbish one. If you were seeking
    > advice >from people you actually know, then that would be different.
    >
    > Roy G

    Seeking advice from the folks who post on this newsgroup isn't very reliable
    either.

    Doug Robbins, Jan 11, 2007
  9. Roy G Guest

    "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message

    > "Roy G" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Working out %age satisfaction rates like you quote is irrelevant. You do
    >> not know anything about the abilities of those users, and don't even know
    >> if they can tell a quality image from a rubbish one. If you were seeking
    >> advice >from people you actually know, then that would be different.
    >>
    >> Roy G

    > Seeking advice from the folks who post on this newsgroup isn't very
    > reliable either.

    At least he will get some sensible answers here - like mine.

    I agree that he can not tell which of the posters actually know what they
    are talking about, which is why I suggested speaking to real people he
    knows.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 11, 2007
  10. Dave Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:47:44 -0500, "Doug Robbins"
    <> somehow managed to impart:

    >"Roy G" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Working out %age satisfaction rates like you quote is irrelevant. You do
    >> not know anything about the abilities of those users, and don't even know
    >> if they can tell a quality image from a rubbish one. If you were seeking
    >> advice >from people you actually know, then that would be different.
    >>
    >> Roy G

    >Seeking advice from the folks who post on this newsgroup isn't very reliable
    >either.

    To quote Neil Young "Take my advice, don't listen to me." ;o)

    Seriously, Pentax DSLRs have affordable (and sharp) zoom ultrawide and
    fisheye lenses.

    Dave
    <http://www.henniker.org.uk> 3000 photos especially
    Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc.
    Délété david for email; watch the spam filters.

    Dave, Jan 11, 2007
  11. Bill Guest

    "Dave" <dave@dªv¡dhenniker.org.uk> wrote in message

    >>> Working out %age satisfaction rates like you quote is irrelevant.
    >>> You do
    >>> not know anything about the abilities of those users, and don't even
    >>> know
    >>> if they can tell a quality image from a rubbish one. If you were
    >>> seeking
    >>> advice >from people you actually know, then that would be
    >>> different.

    >>Seeking advice from the folks who post on this newsgroup isn't very
    >>reliable
    >>either.

    It's not too hard to weed out the few twits after reading some of the
    posts. But for newbies coming here first time looking for advice
    expecting instant responses they can trust, then I tend to agree.

    > To quote Neil Young "Take my advice, don't listen to me." ;o)
    >
    > Seriously, Pentax DSLRs have affordable (and sharp) zoom ultrawide and
    > fisheye lenses.

    Yes.

    And just like any other camera company, they have their fair share of
    poor lenses that many serious users would never accept. It's like one of
    my favourite sayings.

    You can select from three options:
    -Good
    -Fast
    -Cheap
    Pick any two.

    Or the classic, "you get what you pay for".

    :)

    Bill, Jan 11, 2007
  12. <> wrote in message
    >I have been trying to find out about a digital camera that I should
    > choose when I plan to get one in the near future. I am thinking about
    > high end digital camera or SLR model, but not customized or expensive
    > brands. I am comparing Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Panasonic-Lumix, Olympus,
    > Fuji, Samsung and Sony. Konica/Minolta is out of the picture now.
    > When I went to visit the dpreview site in the internet
    > (www.dpreview.com), and look for comments from the users, I seem to get
    > the following picture for digital SLR or SLR like camera (Panasonic FZ
    > 27/50 style):
    > Pentax cameras appears to win in term of cusomer satisfaction (avg
    > 4.8/5.0). Samsung has very excellent rating (close to 5/5), but only
    > limited user's comment (based on only 1 or 2 comments!). I knew that
    > Samsung and Pentax essentially has the same digital SLR technology.
    > The second rating goes to Panasonic/Lumix - about 4.6/5.0 rating. Based
    > on over 100 reviewers.
    > The third rating is either Sony alpha, Canon and Nikon. They are all in
    > the rating ranges around 4.3/5.0
    > What would be your comment on the above?

    You have wasted your time. Those numbers are meaningless. Customer
    satisfaction ratings are among the most useless statistics ever reported.
    As you noticed, "based on 1 or 2 comments."

    Now, rest assured that this is not a life-or-death issue. All of the
    cameras that you are considering are very good. No kidding ... they are
    good!

    Last, decide if you need a P&S or a DSLR. Only you can do this. Then, go
    handle them and buy the one that feels good.

    Charles Schuler, Jan 11, 2007
  13. Gomar Guest

    wrote:
    > PS.
    > I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    > notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    > various cameras, I end up getting confused,

    sure does sound like it. or unable to decide.
    Perhaps you should start with a pro-sumer camera
    like the Lumix FZ-50 or the Fuji S9000/9500.

    The Kodak P850/P712 is cheaper and offers about the same things.

    I dont suggest the Canon S3 IS as it doesnt have the flash hot shoe;
    but does have a rotate LCD(which is small and will break quickly).

    Gomar, Jan 12, 2007
  14. Gomar wrote:
    []
    > I dont suggest the Canon S3 IS as it doesnt have the flash hot shoe;
    > but does have a rotate LCD(which is small and will break quickly).

    Whilst I don't think the Canon offers the best optics in this class of
    camera, on what basis do you make your statement about the LCD viewfinder
    breaking quickly?

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 12, 2007
  15. David Guest

    Gomar, You might be well advised to get the best DSLR that you can afford.
    You will want to expand and with a good DSLR you can buy more lens. I have
    spent way too much learning that. If it were me, I think I would go with
    Nikon or Cannon, as there seems to be a better selection of both DSLRs and
    lens.

    David, Jan 12, 2007
  16. C J Campbell Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:01:46 -0800, wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    > notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    > various cameras, I end up getting confused, as every sites seems to be
    > biased or promote one brand over the others (perhaps depending on what
    > cameras they are representing, or being paid for to review).

    Well, users are even more biased than professional reviewers, eh? Get the
    camera that you like, not the camera that somebody else likes. If you can't
    tell which one you like, you have no business owning a camera.

    C J Campbell, Jan 12, 2007
  17. M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    C J Campbell <> wrote:

    > Get the
    > camera that you like, not the camera that somebody else likes. If you can't
    > tell which one you like, you have no business owning a camera.

    ouch! But true.

    --
    m-m

    M-M, Jan 12, 2007
  18. Bill Funk Guest

    On 12 Jan 2007 09:58:31 -0800, "Gomar" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> PS.
    >> I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    >> notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    >> various cameras, I end up getting confused,

    >sure does sound like it. or unable to decide.
    >Perhaps you should start with a pro-sumer camera
    >like the Lumix FZ-50 or the Fuji S9000/9500.
    >
    >The Kodak P850/P712 is cheaper and offers about the same things.
    >
    >I dont suggest the Canon S3 IS as it doesnt have the flash hot shoe;
    >but does have a rotate LCD(which is small and will break quickly).

    No it won't, unless you're a Gomer.

    --
    Senate Democrats proposed ethics
    reform legislation on Tuesday.

    Bill Funk, Jan 12, 2007
  19. C J Campbell Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:34:35 -0800, M-M wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <>,
    > C J Campbell <> wrote:
    >
    >> Get the
    >> camera that you like, not the camera that somebody else likes. If you can't
    >> tell which one you like, you have no business owning a camera.

    > ouch! But true.

    To put it more charitably, you will be happiest with a camera that matches
    your abilities. Getting some expensive gizmo that has thousands of features
    that you will never use means that those features will just get in your way.
    Better to go simple, and upgrade later when you have better understanding.

    OTOH, if you think the difference between 6Mp and 8Mp is going to make you a
    good photographer, or if you think that microscopic differences in sharpness
    between sets of converging lines on a test pattern will have any effect on
    your photography, then you are merely a gearhead. The camera you like best
    will simply be the one that comes out best in tests, no matter how
    unrealistic they are. Get the camera that you like. If the one you like only
    sits on the shelf because it is too complex or heavy for you to use, you got
    exactly what you deserve.

    C J Campbell, Jan 13, 2007
  20. C J Campbell <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:01:46 -0800, wrote
    >(in article <>):
    >
    >> I like to get opinion from users rather than professional reviewers. I
    >> notice that if I go to diffferent internet sites which show reviews of
    >> various cameras, I end up getting confused, as every sites seems to be
    >> biased or promote one brand over the others (perhaps depending on what
    >> cameras they are representing, or being paid for to review).
    >>

    >Well, users are even more biased than professional reviewers, eh? Get the
    >camera that you like, not the camera that somebody else likes.

    That is good advice. It hinges of course on what a person wants to
    do with the camera; and that has no relation to what others may or may
    not be doing.

    >If you can't
    >tell which one you like, you have no business owning a camera.

    A really stupid statement.

    Did you *start* out in photography knowing everything? I don't
    think so.

    One reason to purchase a camera is to *learn*.

    The OP just needs to realize that a camera used for learning may not
    be the same camera one would use later on, once a lot of water has
    gone under the bridge and the user has a specific idea of what kind
    of photography is interesting. And of course that may change as
    time goes on too...

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jan 13, 2007