    question: Once you have your own wireless network set up, what can you do
    to prevent free riders?

    Thank you

    stratEl, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Encrypt the wireless network with WPA if your hardware supports it or at the
    minimum 128-bit WEP.

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/wifisecurity

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Dec 13, 2005

  3. Per stratEl:
    >question: Once you have your own wireless network set up, what can you do
    >to prevent free riders?

    WPA security.

    It's probably on your WAP's admin screen. I get to mine by typing
    192.168.1.245 into my browser's address box.

    Yours may differ, but it will be some variation on 192.168.1.xxx.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Dec 13, 2005
  4. stratEl

    Bill Whipple Guest

    As the others have said, WPA is a must if your equipment supports it. Also,
    do not broadcast your SSID. This throws another small stumbling block in
    their way. Make sure you are current on all software updates on the O/S and
    for the hardware you are using, even firmware updates on things like routers
    and access points.

    You might also consider running a local firewall on each systems, like the
    XP Firewall or Norton Internet Security, to protect the individual systems
    in case your network is breached.
    --
    WLW

    Bill Whipple, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 14, 2005