    accomplish this.

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill Dobbs, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Bill Dobbs

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:28:39 -0400, "Bill Dobbs"
    <bill_dobbs2000@REMOVE_THISyahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have a P4 Dell computer running Windows 98 that has fragments of Norton
    >Anti Virus that is causing problems booting. The computer also freezes
    >during shut down which suspect is related to Norton too, I have looked in
    >the control panel/add or remove programs, and Norton is not there, however
    >in Start/programs it appears, but will not run. While booting there is a
    >statement stating in the registry or system.ini indicating the file cannot
    >be found.
    >
    >I realize that there is commercial software that purportedly will remove
    >fragments of deleted programs, but I hope to find freeware of shareware to
    >accomplish this.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bill

    Sigh... It may well be easier, and quicker, to format the drive and
    reinstall the OS than to try to remove everything Norton put in your system.

    If you MUST clean it up, here's a starter...

    Download Norton's Symclean & RNAV to remove all of Norton's components:
    http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407
    http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/c851d9242b6f1c4d88256d8000469d43/a23c15c3f46a2bea88256cfa006bd852/$FILE/SYMCLN.EXE

    Rnav for NAV 2003 and earlier:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02/$FILE/Rnav2003.exe

    How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

    How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001061911223206

    How to uninstall Norton SystemWorks manually.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001100212100807

    http://www.symantec.com/search/

    Run 1st: symclean
    Run 2nd: RNAV

    Also do a computer search and remove any folder that contains
    "Catalog.LiveSubscribe"

    If you have Norton Internet Security (NIS) installed, also search
    for the "Rnis removal utility"
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/23bda5412ae1a49688256abe00615e20/$FILE/RnisUPG.exe

    Run regedit, and clean 2 entries:
    1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec

    Delete folders:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    C:\Program Files\Symantec
    C:\Windows\Application Data\Symantec
    C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\

    XP - Loss of Internet access after uninstalling Norton Antivirus software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812335
    1.Click Start, and then click Run.
    2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3.Locate the following Registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP
    DependOnService
    Note The variable lists SYMTDI.
    4.Edit the value to remove SYMTDI from the dependency list.
    5.Restart the computer.

    Now, after all that, you'll still have some stuff in the registry that
    Norton put there. Think of it as a cancer; The best you can hope for is
    remission of the disease....

    Unk, Jul 3, 2004

  3. The Last Church, Jul 3, 2004