I need help im at wits end Graphics card question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Starkey, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    I want to update my graphics card Its a Radeon 9600 series 256megs of
    ram.
    im using cataylst drivers 4.9 but when ever i update i reset it loads
    up to the window xp screen then my monitor goes straight to standby.
    Then i reset comp and it comes up with safe mode options, i usually
    press last working config does excatly the same.
    So i goto into safe mode and do a restore from like a day before, it
    works but only sometimes.

    i want to update too the latest drivers which are 5.14 or something so
    i install them i get a sereve 0 error installing it.

    Im really getting pissed off because a i dont know if im installing
    them right or i have stuffed files somewhere.

    Im using windows Xp pro

    Plz help
    Starkey, Apr 7, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Starkey

    BILL Guest

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:53:04 +1200, Starkey <> wrote:

    >I want to update my graphics card Its a Radeon 9600 series 256megs of
    >ram.
    >im using cataylst drivers 4.9 but when ever i update i reset it loads
    >up to the window xp screen then my monitor goes straight to standby.
    >Then i reset comp and it comes up with safe mode options, i usually
    >press last working config does excatly the same.
    >So i goto into safe mode and do a restore from like a day before, it
    >works but only sometimes.
    >
    >i want to update too the latest drivers which are 5.14 or something so
    >i install them i get a sereve 0 error installing it.
    >
    >Im really getting pissed off because a i dont know if im installing
    >them right or i have stuffed files somewhere.
    >
    >Im using windows Xp pro
    >
    >Plz help




    Try removing the old Drivers first..



    And try this removable tool as well


    http://www.drivercleaner.net/
    BILL, Apr 7, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Starkey

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Starkey <> wrote in
    news::

    > Im using windows Xp pro
    >
    > Plz help
    >
    >


    Tried this?
    Boot to safe Mode
    unistall old drivers from control panel, reboot.
    on the reboot if prompted for drivers for new hardware click , CANCEL.
    Install new drivers.

    I do not own a card like yours, you should look into the "Clean Install"
    for your card on the manufacturer's support site. Some have a "driver
    removal tool".
    Follow the instructions, read the readme.txt files that come with your
    tool and your drivers.
    Run the driver cleaner tool, reboot, then install the new ones.
    Call support for the card? Maybe it needs new firmware to support the
    new drivers? Maybe your video card is not what you thought it was?



    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 7, 2005
    #3
  4. Starkey

    GraB Guest

    On 7 Apr 2005 20:20:55 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Starkey <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> Im using windows Xp pro
    >>
    >> Plz help
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Tried this?
    >Boot to safe Mode
    >unistall old drivers from control panel, reboot.
    >on the reboot if prompted for drivers for new hardware click , CANCEL.
    >Install new drivers.
    >
    >I do not own a card like yours, you should look into the "Clean Install"
    >for your card on the manufacturer's support site. Some have a "driver
    >removal tool".
    > Follow the instructions, read the readme.txt files that come with your
    >tool and your drivers.
    > Run the driver cleaner tool, reboot, then install the new ones.
    >Call support for the card? Maybe it needs new firmware to support the
    >new drivers? Maybe your video card is not what you thought it was?


    It is my understanding when updating a Radeon to install a generic
    Windows super vga driver first, uninstall the old one, then install
    the new one.
    GraB, Apr 7, 2005
    #4
  5. Starkey

    Mercury Guest

    Safe mode runs the generic vga drivers... So that is an alternative method.

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 7 Apr 2005 20:20:55 +1200, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Starkey <> wrote in
    >>news::
    >>
    >>> Im using windows Xp pro
    >>>
    >>> Plz help
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>Tried this?
    >>Boot to safe Mode
    >>unistall old drivers from control panel, reboot.
    >>on the reboot if prompted for drivers for new hardware click , CANCEL.
    >>Install new drivers.
    >>
    >>I do not own a card like yours, you should look into the "Clean Install"
    >>for your card on the manufacturer's support site. Some have a "driver
    >>removal tool".
    >> Follow the instructions, read the readme.txt files that come with your
    >>tool and your drivers.
    >> Run the driver cleaner tool, reboot, then install the new ones.
    >>Call support for the card? Maybe it needs new firmware to support the
    >>new drivers? Maybe your video card is not what you thought it was?

    >
    > It is my understanding when updating a Radeon to install a generic
    > Windows super vga driver first, uninstall the old one, then install
    > the new one.
    Mercury, Apr 7, 2005
    #5
  6. Starkey

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:10:31 +1200, "Mercury" <> wrote:

    >Safe mode runs the generic vga drivers... So that is an alternative method.
    >
    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On 7 Apr 2005 20:20:55 +1200, Dave Taylor
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Starkey <> wrote in
    >>>news::
    >>>
    >>>> Im using windows Xp pro
    >>>>
    >>>> Plz help
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Tried this?
    >>>Boot to safe Mode
    >>>unistall old drivers from control panel, reboot.
    >>>on the reboot if prompted for drivers for new hardware click , CANCEL.
    >>>Install new drivers.
    >>>
    >>>I do not own a card like yours, you should look into the "Clean Install"
    >>>for your card on the manufacturer's support site. Some have a "driver
    >>>removal tool".
    >>> Follow the instructions, read the readme.txt files that come with your
    >>>tool and your drivers.
    >>> Run the driver cleaner tool, reboot, then install the new ones.
    >>>Call support for the card? Maybe it needs new firmware to support the
    >>>new drivers? Maybe your video card is not what you thought it was?

    >>
    >> It is my understanding when updating a Radeon to install a generic
    >> Windows super vga driver first, uninstall the old one, then install
    >> the new one.

    >

    Can you install drivers in safe mode?
    GraB, Apr 7, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Charles U Farley

    ISDN Dial Backup @ Wits End...

    Charles U Farley, Jan 30, 2004, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    2,090
    Charles U Farley
    Feb 23, 2004
  2. AString

    Wits end

    AString, Sep 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    526
    Duane Arnold
    Sep 12, 2004
  3. At wits end

    , May 24, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    447
  4. The Puppy Wizard

    Re: Wits' End method - a question

    The Puppy Wizard, Sep 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    852
    The Puppy Wizard
    Sep 29, 2003
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIEFkYW1z?=

    Failed Install - Please help I'm at my wits end...

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIEFkYW1z?=, Mar 5, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    398
    Tony Sperling
    Mar 6, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page