I Need Help Getting My Laptop Hard Drive To See More Than 2G

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Hey, everybody!

    I picked up an IBM Thinkpad T20 and proceeded to stick my
    Windows OS on it. But when done, it said my hard drive was
    only 2G. I am quite sure this had 12G before I crashed it
    during startup and had to reinstall everything.

    I was told there was a problem with partitions, and I would
    likely want to invest in a copy of Partition Magic. It
    sounds like a powerful program, but before I do, I want to
    run this past you experts.

    1) Is there a way to get the computer to see more than the
    2G without resorting to Partition Magic? There's no data on
    it, really. It's just for playing games on the road,
    watching movies, or doing some typing. In fact, at the
    moment, all it has is my word processing program and two
    games, so redoing the hard drive won't eliminate anything.
    I don't really need the partitions for things like
    diagnostics, since this isn't a work computer.

    2) PM sounds like an excellent program. Would you
    recommend me getting it whether I need it for this
    particular problem or not?

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Jan 26, 2004

  2. "Pete Holland Jr." <> wrote in message
    > Hey, everybody!
    >
    > I picked up an IBM Thinkpad T20 and proceeded to stick my
    > Windows OS on it. But when done, it said my hard drive was
    > only 2G. I am quite sure this had 12G before I crashed it
    > during startup and had to reinstall everything.
    >
    > I was told there was a problem with partitions, and I would
    > likely want to invest in a copy of Partition Magic. It
    > sounds like a powerful program, but before I do, I want to
    > run this past you experts.
    >
    > 1) Is there a way to get the computer to see more than the
    > 2G without resorting to Partition Magic? There's no data on
    > it, really. It's just for playing games on the road,
    > watching movies, or doing some typing. In fact, at the
    > moment, all it has is my word processing program and two
    > games, so redoing the hard drive won't eliminate anything.
    > I don't really need the partitions for things like
    > diagnostics, since this isn't a work computer.
    >
    > 2) PM sounds like an excellent program. Would you
    > recommend me getting it whether I need it for this
    > particular problem or not?
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    When you did fdisk, did you enable large disk support.
    This restricts it to 2gig I think.
    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Jan 26, 2004

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:14:17 -0600, Pete Holland Jr. pecked at a keyboard
    in panic:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000
    --
    B.Al.Zeebub