    system.

    Thanks!

    Marc

    Marc Abrahams, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Marc Abrahams

    Mr. Majestik Guest

    Marc Abrahams <> wrote in message >

    you mean like *wildcat BBS* from Mustang Software in CA? Sure, I still have
    that stuff...........somewhere.

    Mr. Majestik, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Ya, That's exactly what I mean. Could you contact me at
    please.

    Thanks,

    Marc

    Marc Abrahams, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Hello all,

    If you ran or used a BBS back in 1988-89, read on. I need an expert
    from those days to help me with a project.

    What is going on is there is a corporation, Acacia Media Technologies,
    that claims it has patents that cover storing and transferring of
    compressed audio and / or video files over the Internet. Check out
    http://www.acaciatechnologies.com/technology_internet.htm for Acacia's
    explanation of what they think they've patented. You can imagine what
    it would mean if a court were to agree with Acacia's interpretation of
    the patent claims and affirm that the patents are valid and
    enforceable. I am trying to stop that from happening.

    What I am looking for is someone who ran a BBS during the late 1980's
    who was storing any type of compressed video or audio files that users
    were able to download. By "compressed" I mean either compressed with
    a compression utility, or in a file format that automatically includes
    compression (or both). In particular:

    PC: .gl (Grasp animations), .voc (Sound Blaster audio), .fli/.flc
    (Autodesk Animator), animated GIFs
    Amiga: sampled audio (.iff form 8SVX), Newtek Demo Reels, juggler.lha
    demo, .mvm (MovieMaker)
    Macintosh: SoundCap audio (compressed (HCOM) or uncompressed + packed
    or stuffed)
    Atari ST: any kind of sampled audio, .mvm (MovieMaker)
    NeXT/Sun: .au or compressed .snd

    What I am also looking for is an ORIGINAL BBS server from 1989 or
    earlier. I mean the very same computer that ran the BBS, with the
    same hard disk, with the same BBS software and file archives. The
    more complete the system, the better. For example, it would also be
    perfect to have the same modem (or modem pool) and monitor, keyboard,
    etc. Better still to have some logs of files downloaded by users
    during that time. This computer can be any hardware, software or
    operating system and the modem can be any speed as long as all system
    components are from 1989 or earlier. Even if you don't have the
    original hard disk, it would be helpful to have archive tapes or disks
    that would allow me to recreate the server contents circa 1989.

    Please contact me at the email below if you can help in any way. We
    may be able to arrange some kind of monetary compensation.

    Thanks,

    Marc

    Marc Abrahams, Nov 18, 2003