    Oh, and if anyone wants to know, I plan to use this system for games and
    some graphic design projects, including video editing and 3D
    modeling/animation for work.

    Nonanda, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Nonanda

    HF Guest

    Faster - faster- what do you do with the time you save.

    HF, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Nonanda

    Night_Seer Guest

    Nonanda wrote:
    > I plan to buy a high end PC soon. I was looking at Alienware, but
    > decided maybe I shouldn't buy from them after reading a bunch of
    > terrible horror stories. Falcon Northwest seems to be a good company
    > to buy from. They get good ratings, but I used to think Alienware was
    > good too.
    >
    > Also one other thing, I've always owned an Intel-based machine but
    > the new AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 seems like it would be a faster system. I
    > like what I hear about it but I've never owned an AMD before. I'm
    > sure everyone has differing opinions, but what's faster? The 64FX-51
    > or P4 3.2HT Extreme?
    >
    > Oh, and if anyone wants to know, I plan to use this system for games
    > and some graphic design projects, including video editing and 3D
    > modeling/animation for work.

    Athlon FX-51 all the way baby.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Nonanda wrote:
    > I plan to buy a high end PC soon. I was looking at Alienware, but decided
    > maybe I shouldn't buy from them after reading a bunch of terrible horror
    > stories. Falcon Northwest seems to be a good company to buy from. They get
    > good ratings, but I used to think Alienware was good too.
    >
    > Also one other thing, I've always owned an Intel-based machine but the new
    > AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 seems like it would be a faster system. I like what I
    > hear about it but I've never owned an AMD before. I'm sure everyone has
    > differing opinions, but what's faster? The 64FX-51 or P4 3.2HT Extreme?
    >
    > Oh, and if anyone wants to know, I plan to use this system for games and
    > some graphic design projects, including video editing and 3D
    > modeling/animation for work.

    It's a fact of life that more people who get bad products will publicize
    the fact than the people who get good products. All companies make
    occasional lemons. If your 'lemon' rate is 1% & you sell 10,000
    computers then you're sold 100 lemons. Say 30% of the people who buy
    lemons publish bad reviews. Probably less than 0.1% of the people who
    buy good computers publish good reviews. So when you're looking at
    reviews you see 30 bad reviews to 10 good ones. Naturally your
    impression is that the company makes a lot of bad computers. So compare
    the reviews to those of other companies.

    BTW, the numbers I used simply demonstrate the methodology you should
    use to evaluate the reviews. I think they're close, but that's an
    intuitive guess, not proven.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 4, 2003