    the exams? I am not sure where exams are taken. I am not
    even sure if I am getting in over my head. Any advice or
    direction would be very helpful to me. Thanks!

    Anna, May 5, 2005

  2. Anna

    molsonexpert Guest

    "Anna" <> wrote in message
    news:0adb01c551aa$74f2b340$...
    >I have been a Help Desk Technician for about 2 years now,
    > and I am very interested in getting certified in MCDST. My
    > problem is, I don't know exactly what to do. Do I just
    > order the books, study, and then look for a place to take
    > the exams? I am not sure where exams are taken. I am not
    > even sure if I am getting in over my head. Any advice or
    > direction would be very helpful to me. Thanks!

    When in doubt, go directly to the source:

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.asp

    My advice for newbies has always been: before beginning study for an exam,
    always note the "skills being measured" for each exam. This will outline
    those areas you'll need to study. Also, if you've never worked with XP, you
    should get a copy and play with it until you're sick of it. If you're
    purchasing books, make sure the exam number on the book corresponds to the
    exam you're studying for. You'll write the exam at either Prometric or
    Pearson Vue, and you can register on'line or by phone. Search Microsoft's
    website for the contacts.

    hth, and good luck.

    steve.

    molsonexpert, May 5, 2005

  3. Anna

    Jason Guest

    1. Take the Self-assessment exam online (for free) to discover your weak
    areas.
    2. Whichever study guide you buy, MS Press, Transcender, Exam Cram, etc.,
    take the practice exams as many times as necessary until you score 100%
    three consecutive time (each a day apart). Granted, it's only a 100-150
    question base, but that's 100-150 questions you will know rote.
    3.Poke XP like you've never poked before. Don't be afraid of Windows and
    System32 folders. Just make sure you do it on a "test" system where if
    something really does get f-cked up, you can fdisk and reinstall the OS.
    4. Don't forget to study networking side. Never hurts to understand not
    just the OSI model, but what practial examples of the OSI model you use, and
    to become more familiar with the levels you had not considered before.
    5. Try not to stress out the day of the exam, and keep some perspective.
    It is only an exam, and can be re-taken (often for free). If you gain the
    knowledge and can effectively use it, that's what employers care about the
    most.

    And finally, on a personal note...please try not to say you are "writing" or
    "sitting" the exam. These catch phrases are woefully bad grammar of wannabe
    techs that have snuck into the vernacular of the culture. If you are write
    the exam - thiis means you are the examinER, not the examinEE. As one who
    is TAKING the exam, you are the examinee.

    If you sit an exam, it means the exam is under your butt, and cannot be
    effectively taken. Additionally, you would be highly uncomfortable as a
    monitor would not be the first place I would like to put at that end of my
    body. You are TAKING the exam.

    Jason, May 6, 2005
  4. Anna

    Wayne Guest

    One last thing ... do *NOT* use any sort of "braindump" or "testking" or
    "cheatsheets". They pretend to give you actual questions from the real
    exams. Do *NOT* believe it! Most of the questions are wrong, the answers are
    incorrect and while you *MAY* pass the exams using them you wont feel the
    sense of achievement gained from passing the tests based on the amount of
    work you do.
    Good luck, post back here if you have problems! :)

    --
    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    Wayne, May 6, 2005
  5. Anna

    Guru Guest

    Anna wrote:
    > I have been a Help Desk Technician for about 2 years now,
    > and I am very interested in getting certified in MCDST. My
    > problem is, I don't know exactly what to do. Do I just
    > order the books, study, and then look for a place to take
    > the exams? I am not sure where exams are taken. I am not
    > even sure if I am getting in over my head. Any advice or
    > direction would be very helpful to me. Thanks!

    For someone with two years experience in Help Desk, the certification
    tests will not be very difficult for you. If you are very comfortable
    with the Windows XP operating system and Office applications, you might
    not need to study all that much. I would start by:

    1. Find out how much you need to add to your existing knowledge.
    There are a few web-sites that have practice exams to assess your
    readiness. Look around, but here are three to start with
    (www.measureup.com, www.testgurus.com, www.transcender.com)

    2. Find a good book to study. I wouldn't recommend this as a starting
    point for a beginner, but I suspect that you already have most of the
    knowledge necessary for the test. The Microsoft Press books are ok,
    but the ones that really worked for me are the ones from Sybex.

    3. Find an exam center. You can start your search online. The two
    testing agencies that I know of can be found at www.vue.com and
    www.prometric.com. They should allow you to find a local testing
    center using their web-site.

    All the best on your test!

    Guru, May 7, 2005
  6. Anna

    Monique Guest

    I worked on a helpdesk for about 5 years and this was 4
    years ago..I lost track of what I wanted to do and I
    jumped in head first on the MCDST track. I took a boot
    camp course and passed the exams 949 on 271 and 918 on
    272.
    I say go for it...hope this helps...o as for buying the
    material it depends on the person that you are. I prefer
    an instructor lead course that way when I go over the
    material I can relate to the subject at hand...

    Monique, May 16, 2005
  7. Try this: http://www.measureup.com/site/mcdst-readiness.asp

    That was all i need to get an overview for mcdst.

    It helps me to take final look into my WinXP Box @ work.

    Bye,

    Henry

    Henry Gerloff, May 25, 2005