I need a US to UK phone adaptor

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone or
    would I need an adaptor ?
    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 16, 2006

  2. ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone or
    > would I need an adaptor ?

    In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
    created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.
    Richard Oliver, Nov 16, 2006

  3. ¬Stephen Hammond

    RH Guest

    "Richard Oliver" <> wrote in message
    > ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone
    >> or would I need an adaptor ?

    > In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
    > created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

    Depends what you are using it for, if you have an ATA with US socket and a
    BT phone you want to use
    you will need a US-BT converter with Ring capaciter
    RH, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Thus spaketh RH:
    > "Richard Oliver" <> wrote in message
    >> ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >>> Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my
    >>> phone or would I need an adaptor ?

    >> In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
    >> created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

    > Depends what you are using it for, if you have an ATA with US socket
    > and a BT phone you want to use
    > you will need a US-BT converter with Ring capaciter

    Ring capacitor only required for a few phones that are built to UK use
    only and don't have their own ring circuit.

    Still worth getting the RJ11 - BABT adaper with ring capacitor just in
    case you do have a phone that requires the ring capacitor.

    You could take an RJ11 cable and wire it up to a BABT master socket.

    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Nov 16, 2006
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Martin² Guest

    Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed for
    old phones.
    Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic :-(
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Nov 17, 2006
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    David Cook Guest

    Try http://www.solwise.com/voip-sundries.htm.
    David Cook, Nov 17, 2006

  7. >> Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed
    >> for old phones.
    >> Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic :-(
    >> Regards,
    >> Martin

    > Try http://www.solwise.com/voip-sundries.htm.

    I've bought one of eBay thanks anyhow. Ermm probably better to get a new
    phone and use a modem lead then pay a lot for converter I think :)
    ¬Stephen Hammond, Nov 18, 2006
  8. On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:41:01 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
    <> wrote:

    > Ermm probably better to get a new
    >phone and use a modem lead

    depends if you want it to work or not.