I need a Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permissions on a drive !!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kenny, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. kenny

    kenny Guest

    Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permissions on a drive

    For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.

    I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is of
    no importance here.

    I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn it
    off to reveal the problem was

    in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.

    I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
    manually.

    THANKS

    HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
    Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

    kenny, Sep 19, 2005

  2. kenny

    John Holmes Guest

    kenny blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permissions on a drive
    >
    > For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke
    > lose.
    >
    > I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security
    > is of no importance here.
    >
    > I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to
    > turn it off to reveal the problem was
    >
    > in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the
    > network.
    >

    > I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
    > manually.
    >

    > THANKS

    Take ownership. Read this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    --
    Your mother was a bilious trainspotter who answered a call of nature in
    the gutter.

    John Holmes, Sep 19, 2005

  3. kenny

    Maarten Hart Guest

    Maarten Hart, Sep 19, 2005
  4. kenny

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:41:27 +0300, kenny wrote:

    Some of the links are NT4/Win 2000 as that's what I have saved as
    bookmarks, some are XP but you can search for XP versions of the older
    articles given.

    >Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permissions on a drive

    All folders?

    Check the ownership as well.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    Try to avoid the system folders :)

    There are MS articles on default permissions / sharing
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    view / set / change for special folders XP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308419

    This article is Win 2000 / links for NT,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266118
    and restore NTFS defaults for Win 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q266118
    search MS support for the XP versions

    There is a utility with NT / 2000 , can't remember if it's supplied by
    default or in the resource kits, it's called cacls and may be in XP Pro
    by default.

    Again with the MS search
    , look for

    cacls xp

    , Results 1-17.

    and
    xp default ntfs permissions

    >For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.

    You did it?

    >I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is of
    >no importance here.
    >
    >I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn it
    >off to reveal the problem was

    Don't use SFS, it's horrible.

    SFS will mean it's XP?

    >in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.

    The permissions don't ususally apply to network permissions (although
    there is a special network group) more often it's user / group and the
    login name the same on both PCs.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../en-us/windows_security_default_settings.mspx

    Would you be looking at the security tempates as an issue? Try asking in
    one of the specific microsoft groups, assuming it XP something like -

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

    >I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
    >manually.

    Don't think that's possible except by a wipe / reinstall

    Again , as I don't use XP a lot,
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180464
    look for a XP version, on how to script permissions, meanning you have
    to know what you want first.

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Today kenny spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:

    > I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but
    > I had to turn it off to reveal the problem was

    Simple file sharing deletes the security tab you need to add or
    verify accounts to access the folder(s).

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    All_Things_Mopar, Sep 19, 2005
  6. kenny

    IT_Guru

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Have a look at this Microsoft KB article....HOW TO: Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
    hxxp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222

    IT_Guru, Apr 3, 2009