I need a tiny digital camera!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ken Oaf, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Ken Oaf

    Ken Oaf Guest

    Had one of those occasions when I wished I had a camera with me yesterday. Up
    at Castle Hill, in Sydney's north west, I spotted a ute from an air conditioning
    company in the Castle Towers shopping center car park. Nothing unusual, many
    would say.

    Except that the company name was Beaver.

    Beaver Air Conditioning!!!

    I raced into the shopping center, purchased a disposable camera, raced back but
    the fucking ute was gone. ;-(((

    Still, I later discovered they have a web site to prove that I wasn't seeing
    things:-

    http://www.beaverairconditioning.com.au/

    I own a couple of digital cameras, but both are too large to simply slip into a
    pocket. I need a tiny camera, preferably with 3 megapixels or more. Must be
    rugged, because the chances are it may fall out of my pocket from time to time.

    Can anyone suggest a camera?

    Thanks for any replies.

    Ken Oaf, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Ken Oaf

    Frank ess Guest

    Ken Oaf wrote:
    > Had one of those occasions when I wished I had a camera with me
    > yesterday. Up at Castle Hill, in Sydney's north west, I spotted a
    > ute from an air conditioning company in the Castle Towers shopping
    > center car park. Nothing unusual, many would say.
    >
    > Except that the company name was Beaver.
    >
    > Beaver Air Conditioning!!!
    >
    > I raced into the shopping center, purchased a disposable camera,
    > raced back but the fucking ute was gone. ;-(((
    >
    > Still, I later discovered they have a web site to prove that I wasn't
    > seeing things:-
    >
    > http://www.beaverairconditioning.com.au/
    >
    > I own a couple of digital cameras, but both are too large to simply
    > slip into a pocket. I need a tiny camera, preferably with 3
    > megapixels or more. Must be rugged, because the chances are it may
    > fall out of my pocket from time to time.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a camera?
    >
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Dimmige Xi - Xt, comparison photos and albums of examples:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/B51CA34810BA0D1

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Ken Oaf

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:57:39 +1100, Ken Oaf wrote:
    > I own a couple of digital cameras, but both are too large to simply slip into a
    > pocket. I need a tiny camera, preferably with 3 megapixels or more. Must be
    > rugged, because the chances are it may fall out of my pocket from time to time.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a camera?

    I have a Sony U30 for that very reason - tiny, robust, takes surprisingly
    good pics.

    --
    John Bean

    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading (Henny Youngman)

    John Bean, Mar 4, 2004
  4. Ken Oaf

    Stuart Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message

    > Dimmige Xi - Xt, comparison photos and albums of examples:

    Hmmm - I was looking at Canon SD100 (Ixus II). Would I be happier with the
    Dimage?
    My main concerns are:

    1) Picture quality (depth of field)
    2) Comfort (is the Dimage too small to grip & shoot fast without wobble?)

    --
    Stuart

    Stuart, Mar 4, 2004
  5. "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Dimmige Xi - Xt, comparison photos and albums of examples:

    > Hmmm - I was looking at Canon SD100 (Ixus II). Would I be happier with the
    > Dimage?
    > My main concerns are:
    >
    > 1) Picture quality (depth of field)
    > 2) Comfort (is the Dimage too small to grip & shoot fast without wobble?)
    >
    > --
    > Stuart

    I really like the Pentax S4. I am not sure how well it will survive being
    dropped however. I have been carrying mine with me for the past week while
    visiting Shanghai and love it. I carry it in my shirt pocket or inside
    jacket pocket. It is ready to take a picture in about 2 seconds after
    hitting the power button. Very nice IMO.

    Charles Perry P.E.

    Charles Perry, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Ken Oaf

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ken Oaf wrote:

    > Had one of those occasions when I wished I had a camera with me yesterday. Up
    > at Castle Hill, in Sydney's north west, I spotted a ute from an air conditioning
    > company in the Castle Towers shopping center car park. Nothing unusual, many
    > would say.
    >
    > Except that the company name was Beaver.
    >
    > Beaver Air Conditioning!!!
    >
    > I raced into the shopping center, purchased a disposable camera, raced back but
    > the fucking ute was gone. ;-(((
    >
    > Still, I later discovered they have a web site to prove that I wasn't seeing
    > things:-
    >
    > http://www.beaverairconditioning.com.au/
    >
    > I own a couple of digital cameras, but both are too large to simply slip into a
    > pocket. I need a tiny camera, preferably with 3 megapixels or more. Must be
    > rugged, because the chances are it may fall out of my pocket from time to time.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a camera?
    >
    > Thanks for any replies.

    Check out the Casio line. They make some very small cameras with 3-4 mp
    and 3x optical zoom.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Ken Oaf

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in news:c26t68$1pppeo$1@ID-
    65688.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > Hmmm - I was looking at Canon SD100 (Ixus II)

    Consider the S400/410/500. It has a bigger zoom and more megapixels than
    the SD100.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Ken Oaf

    Stuart Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    > Check out the Casio line. They make some very small cameras with 3-4 mp
    > and 3x optical zoom.

    The EX-Z4 looks sweet. It is almost identical to the Pentax Optio S4. Choose
    on availability/price or are there any other significant factors?

    --
    Stuart

    Stuart, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Ken Oaf

    John Navas Guest

    Kyocera Finecam SL300R
    <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sl300r.html>

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Minolta Xt--I have one--goes with me just about everywhere, including
    swimming with the UW case. It has been superceded by the new Xg--which
    doesn't really add a whole lot except a claimed off to photo in .8 seconds
    and the Konica-Minolta logo and a few other minor things that are not
    important. The same UW case still fits.

    Smaller than a pack of smokes. A whole lotta stuff packed into this little
    thing including 3.2 mp!

    I also had considered the little Sony U30 but it had a fixed lens, no zoom.
    Positive was it is only a couple hundred bucks, small, took AA batteries I
    think, but not a 3+ mp camera.

    --
    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD, Mar 4, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > Beaver Air Conditioning!!!
    > I own a couple of digital cameras, but both are too large to simply slip into a
    > pocket. I need a tiny camera, preferably with 3 megapixels or more. Must be
    > rugged, because the chances are it may fall out of my pocket from time to time.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a camera?

    I just bought the Casio Exilim EX-Z4U and I love it.

    Take a look at http://exilim.casio.com/

    (In getting this URL for you I see that they have an even newer model
    available. Isn't that just the way it goes.)

    It is small enough for me to carry everywhere. It has a Pentax lens,
    which isn't a Carl Zeis but it's better than most. I set the right and
    left arrow buttons to quickly adjust the exposure compensation so I can
    out-think it's computer if necessary.

    I was looking for a case for it and couldn't find anything that fit such
    a small camera and still offered protection. Then a girl at Target
    suggested I try a soap dish. It is almost a perfect fit. I use a common,
    closeable, travel soap dish available at any drug store for 50 cents. The
    case closes right over the thin part of the wrist strap so it looks like
    a soap on a rope. I found a dish that is dark blue so it wouldn't look
    quite so cheesy. I got some sticky back Velcro at the hardware store and
    lined the soap dish with just the loop side to provide just the right
    amount of padding. Now I can carry a 4 MP camera with 3x zoom in my hip
    pocket without worry.

    Anyway, I really like this camera.

    Grant Robertson, Mar 4, 2004
  12. "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Check out the Casio line. They make some very small cameras with 3-4 mp
    > > and 3x optical zoom.

    > The EX-Z4 looks sweet. It is almost identical to the Pentax Optio S4.

    Choose
    > on availability/price or are there any other significant factors?
    >
    > --
    > Stuart

    The Pentax has an extra Macro mode. It also has a movie mode. The US
    version of the Casio does not. The Pentax fits in an empty Altoids tin (if
    you care). The Casio uses a docking station for downloading pictures. The
    Pentax (S4) comes with a USB cable and an external battery charger. Pentax
    has announced two new versions of the S4, one of which will have a docking
    station (I don't like docking stations) and the other is slightly larger so
    it can run on AAA batteries.

    Charles Perry P.E.

    Charles Perry, Mar 4, 2004
  13. I can't believe the Canon SD-10 hasn't come up in this conversation yet. It
    is 4mp, takes pix every bit as good as the SD100 or even the S400--and
    disappears into the palm. It's about the size of 2 and one-half
    matchboxes. The lens doesn't jut out three times the width of the camera
    either--principally because it has no zoom. Instead of zooming, consider
    walking forward a couple steps instead--you'll get better pictures that way
    anyways, because zooms eat up light, and make the camera far more
    susceptible to camera shake (and blurry pics). About $295 at good
    retailers.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Mar 5, 2004
  14. Ken Oaf

    Stuart Guest

    "Douglas W. Hoyt" <> wrote in message

    > Instead of zooming, consider
    > walking forward a couple steps instead--you'll get better pictures that

    way
    > anyways

    Sometimes yes. And fixed lenses will usually produce finer images.

    But many other times using the zoom is better especially in informal
    situations which where a tiny digital comes in most handy, viz;

    * produces less distorted images - quite important with faces
    * further away - less chance the subject will 'make a face'
    * Positioning yourself takes time - the moment may be lost

    And of course there can be a barrier only a zoom can overcome....

    --
    Stuart

    Stuart, Mar 5, 2004
  15. Ken Oaf

    Neon John Guest

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:57:39 +1100, Ken Oaf <> wrote:

    >I own a couple of digital cameras, but both are too large to simply slip into a
    >pocket. I need a tiny camera, preferably with 3 megapixels or more. Must be
    >rugged, because the chances are it may fall out of my pocket from time to time.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a camera?

    I've been carrying a Canon S400 continuously since christmas when I bought it.
    It fits perfectly in this role. At 4mp and with fabulous glass, it takes the
    best pix I've ever gotten from a P&S camera.

    John
    ---
    John De Armond

    http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
    Cleveland, Occupied TN

    Neon John, Mar 5, 2004
  16. In article <>,
    says...
    > Smaller than a pack of smokes.

    Hey, that just gave me another idea for something to use as my case for
    my Exilim ZX-4U. So which would be better: People thinking I carry a soap
    on a rope around with me or people thinking I smoke (which I definately
    do not)?

    Grant Robertson, Mar 5, 2004