    would have worked.

    Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    GraB, Jan 22, 2006

  2. GraB

    Malcolm Guest

    GraB wrote:

    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    > I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    > column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    > truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    > would have worked.
    >
    > Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    > alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    Hi
    What about this, Movies Collector version 1.8.4 it's freeware?

    http://www.tucows.com/preview/380487

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Jan 22, 2006

  3. GraB

    bambam Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    > I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    > column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    > truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    > would have worked.
    >
    > Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    > alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    Here is another one to look at-

    http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog/

    bambam, Jan 22, 2006
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:51:30 -0600, Malcolm
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >
    >> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >>
    >> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    >> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    >> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    >> would have worked.
    >>
    >> Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    >> alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    >Hi
    >What about this, Movies Collector version 1.8.4 it's freeware?
    >
    >http://www.tucows.com/preview/380487

    Thanks for that. Looks good, will try it.

    I found ClarisWorks 5 amongst my CDs and the database in that is
    certainly better (FileMaker Pro 3, I believe), with adjustable columns
    in column view, unlike CW3.

    GraB, Jan 22, 2006
  5. "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    > I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    > column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    > truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    > would have worked.
    >
    > Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    > alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    you have too much time :)

    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 22, 2006
  6. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    >I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    >column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    >truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    >would have worked.
    >
    >Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    >alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    If you want a proper database, which will involve a lot of learning, there was a
    free offer in PC User in the Dec issue. It came on the cover disc, it was Alpha
    5. You email the company requesting a licence (it's not automated, wait for a
    human to answer), then you can activate up to two copies of the software.

    The software off the disc is 17mb. I can upload that to you if you wish.

    Here's the instructions for getting a licence from the PC User www site.
    The email address i've removed is marketing.

    Alpha Five 5 Home Edition
    To register the full version of Alpha Five 5 Home Edition, email
    <snip>@alphasoftware.com with the words ‘PC USER’ in the subject line. You will
    then be sent a registration key, which will allow you to unlock the full version
    of the program. When you install Alpha Five, enter the registration key when
    prompted. You must register the software by June 6, 2006.

    Please note that the registration keys are being sent manually and the
    registration keys will be sent within a week of your original email being sent
    to the <snip>@alphasoftware.com email address. Please do not attempt to register
    more than once. The Alpha Five 5 Home Edition program on the disc is a 30-day
    trial so you can continue using the software for that time period before you
    need to enter a registration key. We appreciate your patience. Please email
    <snip>@acpmagazines.com.au if you have not received your registration key before
    your 30-trial has ended.

    Craig Shore, Jan 23, 2006
  7. GraB

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???

    An unrelated suggestion... Openoffice is now at 2.0.1. The beta's like
    the one that you are using used to change file format so often that you
    could crash it by upgrading. With the release of 2.0 this stopped
    happening, and I really recommend that you upgrade.

    $0.02,

    Steve

    Steve, Jan 23, 2006
  8. GraB

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one,

    a) Databases are hard to get to grips with cf say spreadsheets or word
    processing.

    b) OOo 2 has been out for some time now. 1.9.118 was nothing more than a
    beta of version 2. Suggest you install V2. ( It is free afterall )

    the null error, make sure the field is allowed to be null if this is going
    to the case for some records.

    Yes, that is the other thing about Databases, you need to *plan* them.

    Gordon, Jan 23, 2006
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:41:00 +1300, Steve <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >>

    >An unrelated suggestion... Openoffice is now at 2.0.1. The beta's like
    >the one that you are using used to change file format so often that you
    >could crash it by upgrading. With the release of 2.0 this stopped
    >happening, and I really recommend that you upgrade.
    >
    >$0.02,
    >
    >Steve

    Given that I have WordPerfect 8 too and I don't need much in a word
    processor it is not urgent that I update to the latest OOo. I will do
    sometime.

    I had a look at the Movie Collector programme someone suggested. It
    works well, especially where you have movies on the hard drive where
    it can get the details from the file, but it won't maximize unless in
    extended mode and then you can't change the listing to sort by genre
    or title or something else. The sort order seems to be fixed.

    The Movie Catalogue programme also suggested works well too but is for
    the more serious collector with much more info about movies than I
    need.

    I used to use ClarisWorks 1 and 3 and remembered that I have version 5
    on a disc somewhere so I hunted it down and installed it. The
    database in that seems quite adequate for my purposes. I made a
    database with Title, Genre, Year, Actors, Notes, fields - quite
    simple, and that does the job though I will have to enter most of the
    titles manually.

    GraB, Jan 23, 2006
  10. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    >I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    >column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    >truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    >would have worked.
    >
    >Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    >alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    What about using a spreadsheet in Open Office?

    Craig Shore, Jan 23, 2006
  11. GraB

    -=rjh=- Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:41:00 +1300, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:02:38 +1300, GraB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >>> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >>> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >>> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >>>

    >> An unrelated suggestion... Openoffice is now at 2.0.1. The beta's like
    >> the one that you are using used to change file format so often that you
    >> could crash it by upgrading. With the release of 2.0 this stopped
    >> happening, and I really recommend that you upgrade.
    >>
    >> $0.02,
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Given that I have WordPerfect 8 too and I don't need much in a word
    > processor it is not urgent that I update to the latest OOo. I will do
    > sometime.
    >
    > I had a look at the Movie Collector programme someone suggested. It
    > works well, especially where you have movies on the hard drive where
    > it can get the details from the file, but it won't maximize unless in
    > extended mode and then you can't change the listing to sort by genre
    > or title or something else. The sort order seems to be fixed.
    >
    > The Movie Catalogue programme also suggested works well too but is for
    > the more serious collector with much more info about movies than I
    > need.
    >
    > I used to use ClarisWorks 1 and 3 and remembered that I have version 5
    > on a disc somewhere so I hunted it down and installed it. The
    > database in that seems quite adequate for my purposes. I made a
    > database with Title, Genre, Year, Actors, Notes, fields - quite
    > simple, and that does the job though I will have to enter most of the
    > titles manually.

    In this day that seems crazy. The data is already entered and
    accessible. Surely there is an application (actually, I'm *certain*
    there is) that catalogues movies by pulling the data out of IMDB so no
    manual entry is necessary.

    Kind of like http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php which does exactly
    that with Amazon, but online and for books only. That even has a
    bookmarklet so when you are browsing a title on Amazon, you can add it
    to your catalogue with one click.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 23, 2006
  12. GraB

    Crains Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    > I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    > column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    > truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    > would have worked.
    >
    > Is there anything else that would be suitable, that could list by
    > alphabetical order then by genre, etc?

    I use dvd profiler from (www.intervocative.com) its free and is absolutely
    brilliant. All you have to do is enter the bar code of your DVDs and it will
    pull up the Cover images, synopsis and searchable catalog of all your dvd's
    by genre, actors, timeframe etc etc.

    Also great to keep track of who has borrowed your dvd's. Highly recommended.

    Crains, Jan 23, 2006
  13. GraB

    mark Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    > I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    > column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    > truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    > would have worked.

    Actually, ClarisWorks 3 does let you resize columns. You just move the
    pointer to the line in between the column headers, and when it changes from
    a fat cross to a thin cross with left and right pointing arrows, click the
    mouse button down and drag the column to the new size you want...

    Cheers,
    Mark

    mark, Jan 23, 2006
  14. GraB

    mark Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    > use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    > with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    > whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >
    > I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    > column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    > truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    > would have worked.

    Go into Layout mode, select whichever field you want to resize, and drag
    its handles out to whatever size you want it to have.

    Cheers,
    Mark

    mark, Jan 23, 2006
  15. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 23:22:40 +1300, mark <>
    wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in
    >
    >> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >>
    >> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    >> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    >> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    >> would have worked.

    >Actually, ClarisWorks 3 does let you resize columns. You just move the
    >pointer to the line in between the column headers, and when it changes from
    >a fat cross to a thin cross with left and right pointing arrows, click the
    >mouse button down and drag the column to the new size you want...
    >

    >Cheers,
    >Mark

    The Windows one wouldn't let me do that. Vertical adjustment, yes,
    but not column width. It wouldn't change as you say. Perhaps the
    Apple one does. But I have version 5 installed now, which works fine.

    GraB, Jan 23, 2006
  16. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 23:28:31 +1300, mark <>
    wrote:

    >GraB <> wrote in
    >
    >> I want to make a simple database for my DVD collection. I tried to
    >> use the database part of OpenOffice 1.9.118 but couldn't get to grips
    >> with that one, which kept coming up with some strange error message
    >> whenever I tried to go to the next record - null in non-null???
    >>
    >> I installed ClarisWorks 3 which would have been fine except when in
    >> column view the colums were all equal size so that long titles were
    >> truncated. There is nothing I could do about it. Apart from that it
    >> would have worked.

    >Go into Layout mode, select whichever field you want to resize, and drag
    >its handles out to whatever size you want it to have.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Mark

    I did try that. Are you talking Apple version? The Windows version 5
    does but I couldn't get v3 to.

    GraB, Jan 23, 2006