I need a newsreader recommendation

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Deano, May 28, 2006.

  1. Deano

    Deano Guest

    As in a usenet reader.

    I'm most comfy with Outlook Express but it is crappy and unreliable and
    I *feel* I should be using something better apart from just applying
    OEQuoteFix and hoping for the best.

    Right now I'm on Thunderbird after my PC mobo blew up (weep) and had to
    start again with a new computer.

    While it feels solid the dang thing has none of the useful features I am
    used to in OE.

    What I need is this;

    * Standard three pane view with thread conversations and the most recent
    on top
    * I only want to send/receive in text obviously
    * Threads should be collapsed to start with and be bolded if a new
    message has been posted to that thread
    * ability to right-click and mark messages/threads as read
    * a quick of way of seeing if anyone has replied to a thread where I
    have made a post
    * the ability to quickly block a poster, ideally by right-clicking on
    their post
    * be able to select a thread or even individual message and have it
    deleted from my local store - then I don't see anymore messages that get
    posted to that thread
    * A refresh button! Or via a menu like View, Refresh. I think you can
    press F5 in Thunderbird but I'm not sure if it works or not.

    Is there anything free or modestly priced that does the above? Any
    other features beyond the basic would be a bonus.

    I think they've missed an opportunity to make Thunderbird the ideal
    companion to Firefox. IMO it just doesn't cut it.
    Deano, May 28, 2006

  2. Deano

    philo Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > As in a usenet reader.
    >
    > I'm most comfy with Outlook Express but it is crappy and unreliable and I
    > *feel* I should be using something better apart from just applying
    > OEQuoteFix and hoping for the best.
    >
    > Right now I'm on Thunderbird after my PC mobo blew up (weep) and had to
    > start again with a new computer.
    >
    > While it feels solid the dang thing has none of the useful features I am
    > used to in OE.

    Have a look at Agent

    or Free Agent
    philo, May 28, 2006

  3. Deano,in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,on 5/28/2006,after much thought,came up
    with this gem:

    > As in a usenet reader.
    >
    > I'm most comfy with Outlook Express but it is crappy and unreliable
    > and I feel I should be using something better apart from just
    > applying OEQuoteFix and hoping for the best.
    >
    > Right now I'm on Thunderbird after my PC mobo blew up (weep) and had
    > to start again with a new computer.
    >
    > While it feels solid the dang thing has none of the useful features I
    > am used to in OE.
    >
    > What I need is this;
    >
    > * Standard three pane view with thread conversations and the most
    > recent on top * I only want to send/receive in text obviously
    > * Threads should be collapsed to start with and be bolded if a new
    > message has been posted to that thread * ability to right-click and
    > mark messages/threads as read * a quick of way of seeing if anyone
    > has replied to a thread where I have made a post * the ability to
    > quickly block a poster, ideally by right-clicking on their post * be
    > able to select a thread or even individual message and have it
    > deleted from my local store - then I don't see anymore messages that
    > get posted to that thread * A refresh button! Or via a menu like
    > View, Refresh. I think you can press F5 in Thunderbird but I'm not
    > sure if it works or not.
    >
    > Is there anything free or modestly priced that does the above? Any
    > other features beyond the basic would be a bonus.
    >
    > I think they've missed an opportunity to make Thunderbird the ideal
    > companion to Firefox. IMO it just doesn't cut it.

    Try XanaNews,It has all the features you are looking for plus many more.
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/xananews.htm
    max
    --
    Virus Removal Instructions http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
    Playing Nice on Usenet: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm#xpost
    What's in a Name?, May 28, 2006
  4. Deano

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:14:00 +0100, Deano <>
    wrote:

    >As in a usenet reader.
    >
    >I'm most comfy with Outlook Express but it is crappy and unreliable and
    >I *feel* I should be using something better apart from just applying
    >OEQuoteFix and hoping for the best.
    >
    >Right now I'm on Thunderbird after my PC mobo blew up (weep) and had to
    >start again with a new computer.
    >
    >While it feels solid the dang thing has none of the useful features I am
    >used to in OE.
    >
    >What I need is this;
    >
    >* Standard three pane view with thread conversations and the most recent
    >on top
    >* I only want to send/receive in text obviously
    >* Threads should be collapsed to start with and be bolded if a new
    >message has been posted to that thread
    >* ability to right-click and mark messages/threads as read
    >* a quick of way of seeing if anyone has replied to a thread where I
    >have made a post
    >* the ability to quickly block a poster, ideally by right-clicking on
    >their post
    >* be able to select a thread or even individual message and have it
    >deleted from my local store - then I don't see anymore messages that get
    >posted to that thread
    >* A refresh button! Or via a menu like View, Refresh. I think you can
    >press F5 in Thunderbird but I'm not sure if it works or not.
    >
    >Is there anything free or modestly priced that does the above? Any
    >other features beyond the basic would be a bonus.
    >
    >I think they've missed an opportunity to make Thunderbird the ideal
    >companion to Firefox. IMO it just doesn't cut it.

    Agent forte is great. Not sure if you want to pay much but it is good.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 28, 2006
  5. Deano

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-05-28, Deano <> wrote:
    > As in a usenet reader.

    snip

    Most of these <http://www.newsreaders.com/>.

    > I think they've missed an opportunity to make Thunderbird the ideal
    > companion to Firefox. IMO it just doesn't cut it.

    Opera knocks the socks off Firefox, too :)) (The mail+news thingy built
    into Opera is not really a good 'newsreader' though).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, May 28, 2006
  6. Deano

    Deano Guest

    On Sun, 28 May 2006 19:13:12 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:14:00 +0100, Deano <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>As in a usenet reader.
    >>

    >Agent forte is great. Not sure if you want to pay much but it is good.

    I'm using it now (thanks for the recommendation guys) but weird that
    the free version won't allow column sorting.

    The other thing is I have to hit Enter to load the content of a
    message which is a bit annoying. Can that be rectified?

    And how can I ensure the cursor is positioned at the bottom of a
    reply?

    cheers
    Deano, May 28, 2006
  7. Deano

    Barney Guest

    Deano <> wrote in

    > As in a usenet reader.
    >

    > Is there anything free or modestly priced that does the above? Any
    > other features beyond the basic would be a bonus.
    >
    > I think they've missed an opportunity to make Thunderbird the ideal
    > companion to Firefox. IMO it just doesn't cut it.

    Try the user group news.software.readers. You will find hard core users
    and most use Xnews. However several "readers are used and most are
    freeware.

    --
    "Expect less from life and get more from it"
    Barney, May 28, 2006
  8. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "Barney" <> wrote in message
    > Deano <> wrote in
    >
    > > As in a usenet reader.
    > >

    > > Is there anything free or modestly priced that does the above? Any
    > > other features beyond the basic would be a bonus.
    > >
    > > I think they've missed an opportunity to make Thunderbird the ideal
    > > companion to Firefox. IMO it just doesn't cut it.

    > Try the user group news.software.readers. You will find hard core users
    > and most use Xnews. However several "readers are used and most are
    > freeware.

    OK I might try that next. I don't really get on with Forte and Xananews so
    I'm back on OE for the time being...
    Deano, May 30, 2006