I need a laptop, how about some input?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Larry Hodges, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some input.
    It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.

    I'd like to be able to run x64 (not a deal breaker, but should really speed
    things up when the 64 bit apps hit the shelves). Also, my last laptop was
    1990, which means I'm not up to speed on what's hot. So assume I know next
    to nothing regarding laptops.

    I'll be running a minimal amount of CAD with 3D rendering on this.
    Occasionally Adobe Creative Suite. But mostly it will be Access, Excel,
    Outlook, etc.

    Some of the questions that come to mind...

    - AMD or Intel?

    - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for repair?
    (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)

    - Are there any "must haves" I should be looking for? I'll need Internet
    access on the road. Not sure the best way to handle that yet.

    Also, I need a GPS navigational system. Any suggestions on one that will
    work with a laptop? (They have them for PocketPC, so I assume they're
    available for laptop.)

    Thanks in advance guys,
    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Brands: HP pavillion computers do not support 64bit OS even though they come
    with 64-bit processors. Drivers for hot buttons on the computer are not
    available.
    --
    Charles Kenyon

    from my ignorance and your wisdom.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 8, 2006

  3. That is not true, I have run my zv5000 with great succes although you do
    loose the hotkeys, which is mostly a nuisance out of the way. In many ways.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Mine works - except for the hot keys. But HP support tells me they do not
    support 64-bit OS. I also have a zv5000. I had a HD failure and installed
    xp64 as the primary OS with a dual-boot into XP-Pro to handle apps that
    won't run on XP-64. I've just ordered an extra 1/2-Gig RAM to take me up to
    1.25 Gig. That is another point - XP-64 does take more RAM than comes
    installed on most production laptops.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 8, 2006
  5. It is true, that HP - as a company - do not provide support, and for a
    number of good reasons too - but the machine supports the OS completely,
    except for the HP specifics.

    It is also true that not all 32bit software will run, or indeed install, but
    most do and they will run with excellence. This is an OS related issue.

    When installing for a dual-boot scenario you should always install the older
    system first, if not you are bound to see unpredictable trouble.

    And lastly, it is again true that most supermarket laptops sell with only
    very limited memory, and HD, but dedicated computer stores would sell this
    with at least 512K. I live in Denmark, and mine was advertised with a full
    GB.

    Tony Sperling, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Well thats a stupid move on their part, Windows XP Professional x64 is an
    OEM license and OEM licenses are usually supported by Vendor.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Feb 8, 2006
  7. No, that is not what I meant to say, the machine came with XP Home
    installed, but it was advertised with a 100 GB HD and 1GB RAM. That was at a
    time when the supermarkets advertised their laptops with 40GB HD and 256K of
    RAM for nearly 300 dollars more!!!

    This really was 'my-kind-of-offer' - 'I jumped'!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 8, 2006
  8. Larry Hodges

    Guest

    Hi
    Buy any Acer laptop with a 64bit processor. I have one of them and it
    is really cool!
    hemanth

    , Feb 8, 2006
  9. Well, if your budget can stand it, the Acer Ferrari 4005 is the best laptop
    I've ever owned or used. Period.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 8, 2006
  10. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Thanks Charlie. I just looked up the two Ferrari systems on Egghead. The
    4006 is $200 more than the 4005, but comes with x64 and it's 2.2GHz. Since
    x64 is $140, it would be worth it to me just get the 4006. I wasn't
    expecting to spend that much. I just built a new desktop, all SCSI. I'll
    work it around in my head and see if I can justify it to myself. :)

    Do you have any heat issues? I've heard the mobile AMD runs hotter than
    Intel. Don't remember where I heard that. And battery life is good?

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Feb 9, 2006
  11. Yes, the new 4006 has a slightly larger HD and a slightly faster chip, so by
    all means, go for it. (Not available in Canada, yet.)

    Heat issues - I can work with it on my lap for an indefinite time. It's
    warm, but not a problem, when I have the power plugged in. All the heat ends
    up going out the vent at the left rear.

    Battery life - I have no idea what the official specs are. I've used it,
    pretty much continuously, for a solid 2 hours and not been in danger. That's
    all I reasonably expect out of a laptop.

    Yes, it's more than you expected to spend. All I can say is, I haven't
    regretted it for one moment in the 7 months I've had mine. And I live on it
    every single day.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2006
  12. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    My only hesitation is the screen size. It's not 17". I'm used to a 21"
    Sony CRT and a 17" LCD for a 2nd display on my desktop. I like the desktop
    real estate.

    You know anything about Alienware? Like this for example...

    http://www.alienware.com/product_de...sCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-7700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

    Larry Hodges, Feb 9, 2006
  13. "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in

    > Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some
    > input. It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.

    > - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for
    > repair? (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)

    Larry, go back through the archives of this group. There have been
    several discussions of problems encountered with X64 on laptops and
    while this won't tell you which to buy it will tell you what problems
    you might encounter with a specific brand and it just might save you
    from making a mistake.

    FWIW, my laptop is HP and, while it's an older Celeron chip and won't
    support X64, I've no cause for complaint about the brand and I'm VERY
    pleased that HP saw fit to include a Windows XP Home CD along with the
    restore CDs!

    David R. Norton MVP, Feb 9, 2006
  14. Unlike a good many other OEMs!!!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2006
  15. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    "David R. Norton MVP" <> wrote in message
    > "Larry Hodges" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Since I kind of hang out here, I thought I'd ask you guys for some
    >> input. It's time for me to get a laptop as a secondary computer.

    >> - What brand is good for support, including turn around time for
    >> repair? (Or should I ask which brand sucks the least)

    > Larry, go back through the archives of this group. There have been
    > several discussions of problems encountered with X64 on laptops and
    > while this won't tell you which to buy it will tell you what problems
    > you might encounter with a specific brand and it just might save you
    > from making a mistake.
    >
    > FWIW, my laptop is HP and, while it's an older Celeron chip and won't
    > support X64, I've no cause for complaint about the brand and I'm VERY
    > pleased that HP saw fit to include a Windows XP Home CD along with the
    > restore CDs!

    Thanks David for the input. I'll look into that.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Feb 10, 2006
  16. Larry Hodges

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    This is completely wrong. I have an 8000 series and a 5000 series running
    Windows XP Pro x64 Edition with no issues. All hardware is supported and
    can be found on the internet.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Feb 12, 2006
  17. Where can I find the driver for the hot buttons?

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 12, 2006
  18. Larry Hodges

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Believe it was on www.planetamd64.com...

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Feb 12, 2006
  19. Didn't find it there. Thanks anyway.

    Charles Kenyon, Feb 13, 2006
  20. Hi

    I recently purchased a dv8040us from CompUSA (its a HP notebook).

    I bought it specifically to run win x64, but havent yet done the
    install/setup for that.

    However I was assured after weeks of looking around, that this would be
    reasonably easy (I have built and setup machines running XP 64 and Server
    2003 64 for some time now and do a lot of software development on this
    platform).

    I must say this machine is superb, the widescreen 17" display is superb and
    is just as easy to work with as my 1600x1200 desktop PC except that the text
    (source code) is so sharp.

    I have been doing a lot of dev with this machine recently and stopped using
    the desktop for this.

    I know I havent yet installed XP 64, but other than that this is a superb
    machine.

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?= >, Feb 16, 2006