I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and models?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by mm, Jul 1, 2011.

  1. mm

    mm Guest

    I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    models?

    My Philips DVDR3576H broke after only 3 years. The remote and the
    universal remote work but it won't respond. I think the IR in the box
    itself is broken.

    Is there another DVDR with a digital tuner and a hard drive and DVD
    writer for sale now new? Or used?

    I found one of my model on EBay but it cost almost as much as my
    broken one was new, and which also has several logical flaws.

    But if you only know where I can buy new or used the same Philips
    DVDR3576H, I would appreciate that too.

    Or a more on-topic ng or ugh, webforum.

    Thanks.

    P.S. Right now I can only watch the show last recorded, or the
    channel it was recorded on, and only until it records something else.
    Eventually the hardddrive will be filled, but I have no way to tell
    how close that is!!!

    mm, Jul 1, 2011

  2. mm

    UCLAN Guest

    UCLAN, Jul 1, 2011

  3. mm

    Peter Guest

    Re: I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makesand models?

    On 6/30/2011 11:03 PM, mm wrote:
    > I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    > models?
    >
    > My Philips DVDR3576H broke after only 3 years. The remote and the
    > universal remote work but it won't respond. I think the IR in the box
    > itself is broken.
    >
    > Is there another DVDR with a digital tuner and a hard drive and DVD
    > writer for sale now new? Or used?
    >
    > I found one of my model on EBay but it cost almost as much as my
    > broken one was new, and which also has several logical flaws.
    >
    > But if you only know where I can buy new or used the same Philips
    > DVDR3576H, I would appreciate that too.
    >
    > Or a more on-topic ng or ugh, webforum.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > P.S. Right now I can only watch the show last recorded, or the
    > channel it was recorded on, and only until it records something else.
    > Eventually the hardddrive will be filled, but I have no way to tell
    > how close that is!!!

    Walmart.com is selling the Magnavox Model#: MDR515H/F7 for $219 with
    free shipping to your nearest Walmart store. You can check it out on
    the web.

    I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    Peter, Jul 1, 2011
  4. mm

    mm Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:43:27 -0700, UCLAN <> wrote:

    >mm wrote:
    >
    >> Or a more on-topic ng or ugh, webforum.

    >Have you lurked at:
    >
    >http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106 ??

    Hey, this is pretty good. I hate webforums compared to newsgroups,
    but on this one it says they'll email you when someone replies! I
    think you still have to go to webpage to reply to that, but still.

    (It's also 1000 times harder to follow 10 threads on a webforum
    compared to newsgroups where it's simple.

    Thanks a lot.

    mm, Jul 2, 2011
  5. mm

    mm Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:43:48 -0400, Peter <> wrote:

    >On 6/30/2011 11:03 PM, mm wrote:
    >> I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    >> models?
    >>
    >> My Philips DVDR3576H broke after only 3 years. The remote and the
    >> universal remote work but it won't respond. I think the IR in the box
    >> itself is broken.
    >>
    >> Is there another DVDR with a digital tuner and a hard drive and DVD
    >> writer for sale now new? Or used?
    >>
    >> I found one of my model on EBay but it cost almost as much as my
    >> broken one was new, and which also has several logical flaws.
    >>
    >> But if you only know where I can buy new or used the same Philips
    >> DVDR3576H, I would appreciate that too.
    >>
    >> Or a more on-topic ng or ugh, webforum.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> P.S. Right now I can only watch the show last recorded, or the
    >> channel it was recorded on, and only until it records something else.
    >> Eventually the hardddrive will be filled, but I have no way to tell
    >> how close that is!!!

    >Walmart.com is selling the Magnavox Model#: MDR515H/F7 for $219 with
    >free shipping to your nearest Walmart store. You can check it out on
    >the web.

    Tbanks a lot.

    Short answer first. While I was in Ebay, I searched for the current
    model and found two ads, both Buy it Now. One had ten of them
    reburbished for 200 dollars free shipping, and one had ten of them
    new for $275, 55 dollars more than Walmart. Why woudl anyone pay more
    than retail to buy from a private party! And then if it's bad have to
    mail it back instead of take it to the store. I guess because they
    don't know.

    Last year I saw a Kodak digital camera refurbished at a local odd lots
    store for 50 dollars, but found the same thing, same color, on the web
    for from 50 to 200 dollars, when they were selling new ones for 100!!!

    >I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    >H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    Very good to know. I'm close to buying it.

    It also has 9 buttons on the box instead of just 5 so if the IR ever
    breaks, maybe I can change stations and do something else with the
    other two.

    It doesn't have a USB input like the Philips does, but I think on the
    phikips that only works for music/sound. I have no use for that, and
    I only tried it once to see if it worked. It would be nice some day
    to play videos off a USB hard drive, but I doubt I'd actually do that.

    It doesn't have an optical jack or HDMI either, and that's fine. I'm
    glad when the things it doesn't have are things I don't want.

    mm, Jul 2, 2011
  6. On Jul 1, 8:15 pm, mm <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:43:48 -0400, Peter <> wrote:
    > >On 6/30/2011 11:03 PM, mm wrote:
    > >> I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    > >> models?

    > >> My Philips DVDR3576H broke after only 3 years. The remote and the
    > >> universal remote work but it won't respond. I think the IR in the box
    > >> itself is broken.

    > >> Is there another DVDR with a digital tuner and a hard drive and DVD
    > >> writer for sale now new? Or used?

    > >> I found one of my model on EBay but it cost almost as much as my
    > >> broken one was new, and which also has several logical flaws.

    > >> But if you only know where I can buy new or used the same Philips
    > >> DVDR3576H, I would appreciate that too.

    > >> Or a more on-topic ng or ugh, webforum.

    > >> Thanks.

    > >> P.S.  Right now I can only watch the show last recorded, or the
    > >> channel it was recorded on, and only until it records something else.
    > >> Eventually the hardddrive will be filled, but I have no way to tell
    > >> how close that is!!!

    > >Walmart.com is selling the Magnavox Model#: MDR515H/F7 for $219 with
    > >free shipping to your nearest Walmart store.  You can check it out on
    > >the web.

    > Tbanks a lot.
    >
    > Short answer first.  While I was in Ebay, I searched for the current
    > model and found two ads, both Buy it Now. One had ten of them
    > reburbished for 200 dollars free shipping, and one had ten of them
    > new for $275, 55 dollars more than Walmart.  Why woudl anyone pay more
    > than retail to buy from a private party!  And then if it's bad have to
    > mail it back instead of take it to the store.  I guess because they
    > don't know.
    >
    > Last year I saw a Kodak digital camera refurbished at a local odd lots
    > store for 50 dollars, but found the same thing, same color, on the web
    > for from 50 to 200 dollars, when they were selling new ones for 100!!!
    >
    > >I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    > >H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    > Very good to know.  I'm close to buying it.
    >
    > It also has 9 buttons on the box instead of just 5 so if the IR ever
    > breaks, maybe I can change stations and do something else with the
    > other two.
    >
    > It doesn't have a USB input like the Philips does, but I think on the
    > phikips that only works for music/sound.  I have no use for that, and
    > I only tried it once to see if it worked.  It would be nice some day
    > to play videos off a USB hard drive, but I doubt I'd actually do that.
    >
    > It doesn't have an optical jack or HDMI either, and that's fine.  I'm
    > glad when the things it doesn't have are things I don't want.

    You didn't mention it: Unplug, wait, plug in. I have two DVDRs and
    they both go brain dead on me and that power routine fixes them. One
    is a Lite-on and the other is a Protron.

    Sal M. Onella, Jul 3, 2011
  7. mm

    micky Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:43:48 -0400, Peter <> wrote:

    [Out of order)

    >Walmart.com is selling the Magnavox Model#: MDR515H/F7 for $219 with
    >free shipping to your nearest Walmart store. You can check it out on
    >the web.

    I'm glad I checked this out. The online photo of the rear looked very
    much like the Philips I have (except no optical port, which I would
    never use)

    The front has 9 buttons instead of 5 to change channels and go from
    HDD to DVD.

    The MANUAL reads just like mine, even some of the drawings and screen
    images are the same. IOW I'm sure it is made by the same people who
    make the Philips. That's good and bad.

    >I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    >H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    ---end out of order--

    >On 6/30/2011 11:03 PM, mm wrote:
    >> I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    >> models?

    Thanks again Peter, UCLAN, and Patty.

    >> My Philips DVDR3576H broke after only 3 years. The remote and the

    I paid 300 for my Philips, and the new model Magnavox above was 300
    and marked down to 219, and the Philips 3576H on ebay sold today for
    220, used, several years old!! Several bidders.

    >> universal remote work but it won't respond. I think the IR in the box
    >> itself is broken.

    Well, this IS embarrassing. For simplicity, I didn't mention that
    I've been using Powermid pyramids to control the DVDR from other
    rooms.

    I haven't changed anything about them, haven't moved the receiver or
    any of the transmitters (one per room) around, yet somehow something
    was transmitting to the receiver, which was then, via a wire,
    constantly shining IR into the IR window of the DVDR. Overwhelming
    whatever my remote controls could add to that.

    There is a dim redlight in the pyramid-shaped receiver, but in the
    bright daylight I didn't notice it and at night it was no brighter
    than it has been for a couple weeks. Right now, it seems like the
    transmitter in the bathroom is picking up IR from a CFL, maybe, and
    ev.

    IOW, the DVDR is st ill working fine,

    But I"m still glad I spent the time checking out the other model.

    micky, Jul 4, 2011
  8. mm

    micky Guest

    Posted before I intended to, because of strange keyboard on temporary
    computer.

    Not only did my DVDR "break" a week ago, my computer broke serously
    Friday night, and when I went to the basement to use another one, and
    fix the old one, the TV in the basement had stopped working.

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 04:49:17 -0400, micky <>
    wrote:

    >There is a dim redlight in the pyramid-shaped receiver, but in the
    >bright daylight I didn't notice it and at night it was no brighter
    >than it has been for a couple weeks. Right now, it seems like the
    >transmitter in the bathroom is picking up IR from a CFL, maybe, and
    >ev.

    and even when I turn the light off in the bathroom, the red light on
    the transmitter in there stays on for quite a while. I guess that
    transmitter is broken.

    I came close to buying a new DVDR, and if you hadn't told me about
    the magnavox still sold new, when I want to buy one, I might have
    spent 250 for the Philips on Ebay.

    Thanks to all ag ain.

    micky, Jul 4, 2011
  9. mm

    micky Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:43:48 -0400, Peter <> wrote:

    >On 6/30/2011 11:03 PM, mm wrote:
    >> I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    >> models?
    >>
    >> My Philips DVDR3576H broke after only 3 years. The remote and the
    >> universal remote work but it won't respond. I think the IR in the box
    >> itself is broken.
    >>
    >> Is there another DVDR with a digital tuner and a hard drive and DVD
    >> writer for sale now new? Or used?
    >>
    >> I found one of my model on EBay but it cost almost as much as my
    >> broken one was new, and which also has several logical flaws.
    >>
    >> But if you only know where I can buy new or used the same Philips
    >> DVDR3576H, I would appreciate that too.
    >>
    >> Or a more on-topic ng or ugh, webforum.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> P.S. Right now I can only watch the show last recorded, or the
    >> channel it was recorded on, and only until it records something else.
    >> Eventually the hardddrive will be filled, but I have no way to tell
    >> how close that is!!!

    >Walmart.com is selling the Magnavox Model#: MDR515H/F7 for $219 with
    >free shipping to your nearest Walmart store. You can check it out on
    >the web.
    >
    >I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    >H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    The later model you name i dl'd the manual and it talks about
    recording starting every time one turns the machine on. Does your
    model do that and is it easy to override. There is a page that
    discusses override info, but I didnt' understand it.

    Thanks.

    micky, Jul 5, 2011
  10. mm

    On 7/5/2011 4:35 AM, micky wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:43:48 -0400, Peter<> wrote:
    >

    >> I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    >> H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    > The later model you name i dl'd the manual and it talks about
    > recording starting every time one turns the machine on. Does your
    > model do that and is it easy to override. There is a page that
    > discusses override info, but I didnt' understand it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    On the H2160MW9 A, that features is called "autostart recording". The
    machine starts to record whenever the machine is turned from standby to
    on; it won't automatically save the recording for later viewing,
    although you can manually do that with great ease if you desire. There
    is no setup option to disable this feature but it has never bothered me.
    I don't use the DVR's tuner to watch broadcasts real-time, so the only
    time my machine is on is when I am programming the timed recorder,
    recording a program, or watching something that I have previously
    recorded. The amount of wear and tear on the hard drive, and extra
    electricity consumed by the unit when it is autostart recording while I
    am programming timed recordings is negligible compared with the use I
    give it recording programs and watching them.

    According to my manual, "by using this function, you can pause or go
    back for the TV program you are currently watching [I assume they mean
    if you are watching via the DVR's built-in tuner], and you can also
    start recording the whole program even at the middle of the TV program
    [I think what they mean is that if in the middle of the program you
    decide that wish you had recorded it from the beginning, the machine has
    already done that for you]. The temporary recording can be made up to 6
    hours of time range."

    One other thing, this unit is incredibly quiet and distraction-free.
    When it is on, the only way to tell (if there is any ambient noise or
    sound at all) is to observe the digital display on the front. If you
    listen very carefully, you will hear an occasional soft whir or click,
    but almost nothing. The unit must generate very little heat because
    there does not seem to be a cooling fan and both the top plate and back
    seem sealed (except for the connector penetrations on the back). All
    the better to keep out dust.

    I know that occasionally lemons come off even the best production lines,
    and you can find highly negative comments from some users on some blogs,
    but I'm very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Magnavox DVR
    (I think that they are made by Funai). P.S. Neither I nor any member of
    my family have any personal or business relationships with the companies
    involved.

    Peter, Jul 5, 2011
  11. On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:44:26 -0400, Peter wrote:

    > On 7/5/2011 4:35 AM, micky wrote:
    >> On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:43:48 -0400, Peter<> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I can't comment on that model, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnavox
    >>> H2160MW9 A HDD/DVD Recorder with digital tuner I've been using since 10/09.

    >> The later model you name i dl'd the manual and it talks about
    >> recording starting every time one turns the machine on. Does your
    >> model do that and is it easy to override. There is a page that
    >> discusses override info, but I didnt' understand it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > On the H2160MW9 A, that features is called "autostart recording". The
    > machine starts to record whenever the machine is turned from standby to
    > on; it won't automatically save the recording for later viewing,
    > although you can manually do that with great ease if you desire. There
    > is no setup option to disable this feature but it has never bothered me.
    > I don't use the DVR's tuner to watch broadcasts real-time, so the only
    > time my machine is on is when I am programming the timed recorder,
    > recording a program, or watching something that I have previously
    > recorded. The amount of wear and tear on the hard drive, and extra
    > electricity consumed by the unit when it is autostart recording while I
    > am programming timed recordings is negligible compared with the use I
    > give it recording programs and watching them.
    >
    > According to my manual, "by using this function, you can pause or go
    > back for the TV program you are currently watching [I assume they mean
    > if you are watching via the DVR's built-in tuner], and you can also
    > start recording the whole program even at the middle of the TV program
    > [I think what they mean is that if in the middle of the program you
    > decide that wish you had recorded it from the beginning, the machine has
    > already done that for you]. The temporary recording can be made up to 6
    > hours of time range."
    >
    > One other thing, this unit is incredibly quiet and distraction-free.
    > When it is on, the only way to tell (if there is any ambient noise or
    > sound at all) is to observe the digital display on the front. If you
    > listen very carefully, you will hear an occasional soft whir or click,
    > but almost nothing. The unit must generate very little heat because
    > there does not seem to be a cooling fan and both the top plate and back
    > seem sealed (except for the connector penetrations on the back). All
    > the better to keep out dust.
    >
    > I know that occasionally lemons come off even the best production lines,
    > and you can find highly negative comments from some users on some blogs,
    > but I'm very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Magnavox DVR
    > (I think that they are made by Funai). P.S. Neither I nor any member of
    > my family have any personal or business relationships with the companies
    > involved.

    This is the way most Cable and Satellite set-top boxes do it.

    Actually, all of them, AFAICT.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, Jul 5, 2011
  12. mm

    micky Guest

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:02:35 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:44:26 -0400, Peter wrote:

    >>> The later model you name i dl'd the manual and it talks about
    >>> recording starting every time one turns the machine on. Does your
    >>> model do that and is it easy to override. There is a page that
    >>> discusses override info, but I didnt' understand it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> On the H2160MW9 A, that features is called "autostart recording". The
    >> machine starts to record whenever the machine is turned from standby to
    >> on; it won't automatically save the recording for later viewing,
    >> although you can manually do that with great ease if you desire. There
    >> is no setup option to disable this feature but it has never bothered me.

    If it doesnt' bother you, that's very important to me. It still
    might bother me, but I can live iwth it. (In fact, on balance, it
    still pleases me that I noticed this in advance.)

    >> I don't use the DVR's tuner to watch broadcasts real-time, so the only

    I do that a lot, because it's in the central place, connected to the
    attic antenna. I have a settop box there too (with an A-B switch, so
    I can record one station and still watch another live) and I have a
    set-top box in another room on the second floor. On the first floor I
    think reception will be worse. .

    >> time my machine is on is when I am programming the timed recorder,
    >> recording a program, or watching something that I have previously
    >> recorded. The amount of wear and tear on the hard drive, and extra
    >> electricity consumed by the unit when it is autostart recording while I
    >> am programming timed recordings is negligible compared with the use I
    >> give it recording programs and watching them.

    Okay. I've taken more and more to watching the recorded version,
    even if I'm only 5 seconds behind live. For one thing., I can stop
    and read text that is embedded in movies, like signs and postal
    letters that are part of the plot, or crime scenes. Or see things I
    missed when I was not paying attention or getting something from the
    stove.

    For another, one of my tvs seems to have bad sound -- only notice it
    rarely -- and my ear seems to be giving me a problem too, so I rewind
    15 seconds and play it again. Only rarely does that help, but making
    the sound louder often lets me hear more detail. Going upstairs to a
    better tv helps a lot more. (I'll replace the tv in the kitchen but
    the one in the basement just failed entirely, about 6 years after I
    found it on the curb, and I have to replace that first.)

    It has to do with digital I'm sure. I'm sure that whole syllables
    are missing, even when I play it three times and loudly. I still have
    some videotape movies I bought at the library for a dollar, and once I
    connect my mult-room remote to the VCR too, I'm going to run tests on
    the sound quality of videotape. Pretty sure it will be higher and
    without humanly audible flaws.

    And my digital sound is recorded over the air, which I'm told has no
    compression and is the best kind of digital sound (and picture) when
    the reception is not below par.

    Back to the paragraph I'm replying to, Sort of as Gene points out,
    thhe auotrcording is I think an example of ether dvdr design moving
    closer to cable dvdr design, or actual DVDR production starting with a
    cable dvdr.

    I don't have cable but I think this somehow has to with not having to
    syncrhonize two timers. Do cable boxes have timers that switch
    channels, and do they have a way to turn on the tunerless DVDR?. If
    the recording starts automatically when the dvdr box is turned on,
    that's one thing the cable box doesn't have to do.

    >> According to my manual, "by using this function, you can pause or go
    >> back for the TV program you are currently watching [I assume they mean
    >> if you are watching via the DVR's built-in tuner], and you can also
    >> start recording the whole program even at the middle of the TV program
    >> [I think what they mean is that if in the middle of the program you
    >> decide that wish you had recorded it from the beginning, the machine has
    >> already done that for you]. The temporary recording can be made up to 6
    >> hours of time range."
    >>
    >> One other thing, this unit is incredibly quiet and distraction-free.
    >> When it is on, the only way to tell (if there is any ambient noise or
    >> sound at all) is to observe the digital display on the front. If you
    >> listen very carefully, you will hear an occasional soft whir or click,
    >> but almost nothing. The unit must generate very little heat because
    >> there does not seem to be a cooling fan and both the top plate and back
    >> seem sealed (except for the connector penetrations on the back). All
    >> the better to keep out dust.

    Quiet is good. I don't hear my Philips fan, but my Philips and the
    515 magnavox do show a little fan, only 2 inches x 2, on the back
    The two bumps on the top left and bottom left of it were big clues to
    me that they were made by the same company.

    >> I know that occasionally lemons come off even the best production lines,
    >> and you can find highly negative comments from some users on some blogs,
    >> but I'm very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Magnavox DVR
    >> (I think that they are made by Funai). P.S. Neither I nor any member of
    >> my family have any personal or business relationships with the companies
    >> involved.

    So you say, but I have in my hand a list of Board members and your
    sister-in-law's name is on it.

    >This is the way most Cable and Satellite set-top boxes do it.
    >
    >Actually, all of them, AFAICT.

    Thanks to both of you.

    micky, Jul 6, 2011
  13. mm

    micky Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 23:12:36 -0500, (Gordon
    Burditt) wrote:

    >> For another, one of my tvs seems to have bad sound -- only notice it
    >> rarely -- and my ear seems to be giving me a problem too, so I rewind
    >> 15 seconds and play it again. Only rarely does that help, but making
    >> the sound louder often lets me hear more detail. Going upstairs to a
    >> better tv helps a lot more. (I'll replace the tv in the kitchen but
    >> the one in the basement just failed entirely, about 6 years after I
    >> found it on the curb, and I have to replace that first.)
    >>
    >> It has to do with digital I'm sure. I'm sure that whole syllables
    >> are missing, even when I play it three times and loudly. I still have

    >One of the first artifacts you notice with OTA digital TV when
    >there's a storm approaching is brief audio dropouts. It is most
    >noticible when there is background music and that goes briefly quiet
    >along with any voices. As reception gets worse, you may see blocking
    >and brief freezeups. It can get bad enough to not detect a signal
    >at all.

    That happens too, and that I can allow for. What gets me, and sorry,
    I wasn't clear, are times when there is no silence in the middle of
    the word but a syllable is still skipped. Sometimes it's easy to
    figure out what the word is and sometimes the word is so mangled I
    can't do it. And it happens in good weather too, both here and
    everywhere between here and the station. Day and night maybe but I
    havent' kept track of that. (I will.)

    >> some videotape movies I bought at the library for a dollar, and once I
    >> connect my mult-room remote to the VCR too, I'm going to run tests on
    >> the sound quality of videotape. Pretty sure it will be higher and
    >> without humanly audible flaws.
    >>
    >> And my digital sound is recorded over the air, which I'm told has no
    >> compression and is the best kind of digital sound (and picture) when
    >> the reception is not below par.

    >The quality of videotape won't help if the audio glitches happen before
    >the signal gets to your house.

    Right. I'm going to compare it with commercial movie tapes I bought
    from the library, and I have a couple I bought retail. This is mostly
    to calibrate my hearing, since I have some noise in one ear now. and I
    need to get straight if and how much that affects my hearing. It
    doesn't bother me when I llisten to the radio, or just now when I
    played a 50's sitcom on Hulu. But I also want to do this with TV,
    and replayable, so I can check it out on every tv I use, 5 of them in
    practice.

    Another interesting thing is that whenever I turn on a lamp or ceiling
    light and probalby other things, there is a drop out of the sound for
    about a second, even on playback. Even when the lights are 20 feet
    from the DVDR and the tv. Unless I have it backwards, when I turn
    the light off, the sound doesn't show this. I asked in an
    electronics ng and no one knew of such a thing!

    micky, Jul 6, 2011
  14. mm

    On 7/5/2011 11:48 PM, micky wrote:

    >> On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 11:44:26 -0400, Peter wrote:

    >>> I don't use the DVR's tuner to watch broadcasts real-time, so the only

    > I do that a lot, because it's in the central place, connected to the
    > attic antenna. I have a settop box there too (with an A-B switch, so
    > I can record one station and still watch another live) and I have a
    > set-top box in another room on the second floor. On the first floor I
    > think reception will be worse. .

    Micky, I've deleted most of your recent post to address the 1 statement
    you made (above) about recording 1 show while watching another live.

    I too do not have cable/satellite/FIOS and receive over-the-air signals.
    In addition, I too have a set top box (Roku). There is no need for
    A/B switching to watch 1 station while recording another simultaneously.
    (In fact, you can watch something you previously recorded on the DVR
    while recording something else at the same time! You can also watch the
    playback of a recording while the recording is still being made.)

    The Magnavox DVR has an RF cable input and output jack. Plug your
    antenna wire into the DVR input and run a short cable from the DVR
    output jack to the antenna input jack on the back of your TV. In
    addition, you should connect the DVR's audio and video outputs to an
    auxiliary input of your TV using the highest quality connection common
    to both (HDMI>Component>S-Video>Composite). When the the DVR is off,
    the cable signal is passed through the DVR to the TV with a gentle
    amplification to compensate for internal circuity signal strength
    losses. When the DVR is on, you can either watch "live" broadcasts by
    setting the TV's input to the TV's built in tuner, or monitor the output
    of the DVR (playback from the HDD or a DVD, or from the DVR's tuner) by
    setting the TV's input selection to the auxiliary input to which you
    have connected the DVR's output. This type of wiring setup is not
    unique to DVRs. I used to set up my VCRs the same way more than a
    decade ago.

    The audio and video outputs of the set top box are connected to a second
    auxiliary input on the TV (makes no sense to me to want to record
    something off the Roku as everything there is available on demand).
    However, if I did want to have the option of recording something from
    the set top box, I could plug the outputs of the set top box into one of
    the auxiliary inputs on the DVR instead of the TV. (When you program
    the DVR to record, one of the setting choices is the source to be
    recorded. Of course this wouldn't work for unattended timer recording
    with a Roku because no one would be there to command the Roku to start
    streaming.)

    Lots of flexibility available. Hope this helps.

    Peter, Jul 6, 2011
  15. mm

    micky Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:03:48 -0400, mm <>
    wrote:

    >I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    >models?

    I just got an email about one that is not Philips or Magnavox afaik

    It's Brite View, whatever that is.

    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...enna-HD-DVR-with-320GB-(BV980H)&c=HD DVR&sku=

    brite View BV980H Digital Antenna HD DVR with 320GB (BV-980H)
    View other products
    Model: BV980H
    Availability: In Stock
    Everything you need for watching and recording HD with the
    over-the-air digital broadcasts.(MPEG-2 and MPEG-4). More >
    ? Supports Real-time, EPG / Scheduled Recording and
    Time-Shifting Function
    ? Records Analog Video Contents from Other STB, Blu-ray or DVD
    Player
    ? ATSC & Clear OAM Digital TV Reception
    ? Terrestrial 8VSB & 64/256 QAM Demodulation
    ? Dolby Digital (AC-3) Audio Decoding
    Our Price: $199.99
    MSRP: $299.99 You Saved $100.00

    It doesn't use the term Over the air, or OTA, only antenna, and it
    doesn't use the term Hard Drive or HDD (and when it says HD it means
    High Def.)

    So googling for this would not be very successful.

    But I'm not recommending it for someone like me or you. It's jack
    panel in back is too simple. No S-video that I need for my S-video
    balun, that I use to connect to the computer 70 feet away, 100 feet if
    I go by way of the attic.

    I get email ads from Solidsignal.com and unlike most ads, i like
    theirs. They sell a lot of antennas, so it's not surprising they sell
    at least one ota dvdr.

    They aslso sell Channel Master CM7000PAL I don't know what PAL
    means here, if it only works in Europe. I don't think it means that.

    micky, Jul 8, 2011
  16. mm

    On 7/8/2011 5:13 AM, micky wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:03:48 -0400, mm<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    >> models?

    > I just got an email about one that is not Philips or Magnavox afaik
    >
    > It's Brite View, whatever that is.
    >
    > http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...enna-HD-DVR-with-320GB-(BV980H)&c=HD DVR&sku=
    >
    > brite View BV980H Digital Antenna HD DVR with 320GB (BV-980H)
    > View other products
    > Model: BV980H
    > Availability: In Stock
    > Everything you need for watching and recording HD with the
    > over-the-air digital broadcasts.(MPEG-2 and MPEG-4). More>
    > ? Supports Real-time, EPG / Scheduled Recording and
    > Time-Shifting Function
    > ? Records Analog Video Contents from Other STB, Blu-ray or DVD
    > Player
    > ? ATSC& Clear OAM Digital TV Reception
    > ? Terrestrial 8VSB& 64/256 QAM Demodulation
    > ? Dolby Digital (AC-3) Audio Decoding
    > Our Price: $199.99
    > MSRP: $299.99 You Saved $100.00
    >
    > It doesn't use the term Over the air, or OTA, only antenna, and it
    > doesn't use the term Hard Drive or HDD (and when it says HD it means
    > High Def.)
    >
    > So googling for this would not be very successful.
    >
    > But I'm not recommending it for someone like me or you. It's jack
    > panel in back is too simple. No S-video that I need for my S-video
    > balun, that I use to connect to the computer 70 feet away, 100 feet if
    > I go by way of the attic.
    >
    > I get email ads from Solidsignal.com and unlike most ads, i like
    > theirs. They sell a lot of antennas, so it's not surprising they sell
    > at least one ota dvdr.
    >

    > They aslso sell Channel Master CM7000PAL I don't know what PAL
    > means here, if it only works in Europe. I don't think it means that.

    Micky, It seems likely that English may not be your first language and
    therefore, you might have missed the following additional information
    about the Brite view unit that was clearly contained on the web page
    from the link you included (above). Among the list of specifications
    are the words: "2.5" 320GB HDD Built-in HDD Format Compatability: NTFS,
    FAT 16/32". Also, at least in the U.S., over-the-air reception means
    the same thing as using an antenna for reception. Additionally, if you
    go to www.brite-view.com you can learn a little more about that company.
    (I didn't know the web site but google provided it as the first "hit"
    when I put the name into the search box.)

    As far as the Channel Master CM7000PAL, it too is a HDD DVR and is
    compared feature for feature in the chart on the Brite view web page
    reference you provided. For further info about it, just put "CM7000PAL"
    (without the quotation marks) into any of the popular search engines.
    You will find many useful "hits" about it. Channel Master is based in
    Mesa, Arizona, USA. One quick glance at the unit's owner's manual (see
    the Channel Master web site for the link) makes it clear that the unit
    is designed for use in the US. It seems to be a coincidence that the
    model number includes the letters "PAL" which, I agree, at first thought
    might have made someone wonder if the unit is intended for use where tvs
    use the PAL instead of NTSC encoding.

    Suggestion: Spend a little more time with search engine research and
    you will commonly find answers to most of your technical questions. I
    found all the information I've included (above) in less than 3 minutes
    of searching and reading.

    Peter, Jul 8, 2011
  17. mm

    micky Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 06:49:32 -0400, Peter <> wrote:

    >On 7/8/2011 5:13 AM, micky wrote:
    >> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:03:48 -0400, mm<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need a DVDR with tuner and harddrive. Can you suggest makes and
    >>> models?

    >> I just got an email about one that is not Philips or Magnavox afaik
    >>
    >> It's Brite View, whatever that is.
    >>
    >> http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...enna-HD-DVR-with-320GB-(BV980H)&c=HD DVR&sku=
    >>
    >> brite View BV980H Digital Antenna HD DVR with 320GB (BV-980H)
    >> View other products
    >> Model: BV980H
    >> Availability: In Stock
    >> Everything you need for watching and recording HD with the
    >> over-the-air digital broadcasts.(MPEG-2 and MPEG-4). More>
    >> ? Supports Real-time, EPG / Scheduled Recording and
    >> Time-Shifting Function
    >> ? Records Analog Video Contents from Other STB, Blu-ray or DVD
    >> Player
    >> ? ATSC& Clear OAM Digital TV Reception
    >> ? Terrestrial 8VSB& 64/256 QAM Demodulation
    >> ? Dolby Digital (AC-3) Audio Decoding
    >> Our Price: $199.99
    >> MSRP: $299.99 You Saved $100.00
    >>
    >> It doesn't use the term Over the air, or OTA, only antenna, and it
    >> doesn't use the term Hard Drive or HDD (and when it says HD it means
    >> High Def.)
    >>
    >> So googling for this would not be very successful.
    >>
    >> But I'm not recommending it for someone like me or you. It's jack
    >> panel in back is too simple. No S-video that I need for my S-video
    >> balun, that I use to connect to the computer 70 feet away, 100 feet if
    >> I go by way of the attic.
    >>
    >> I get email ads from Solidsignal.com and unlike most ads, i like
    >> theirs. They sell a lot of antennas, so it's not surprising they sell
    >> at least one ota dvdr.
    >>

    >> They aslso sell Channel Master CM7000PAL I don't know what PAL
    >> means here, if it only works in Europe. I don't think it means that.

    >Micky, It seems likely that English may not be your first language and
    >therefore, you might have missed the following additional information
    >about the Brite view unit that was clearly contained on the web page
    >from the link you included (above). Among the list of specifications
    >are the words: "2.5" 320GB HDD Built-in HDD Format Compatability: NTFS,

    I didn't notice that. I don't think it was in the first 10 lines.

    >FAT 16/32". Also, at least in the U.S., over-the-air reception means
    >the same thing as using an antenna for reception. Additionally, if you

    I know they mean the same but I had only been googlling on OTA and "
    over the air". Now I have to google on one more thing, and get more
    false hits in the bargain.

    >go to www.brite-view.com you can learn a little more about that company.
    > (I didn't know the web site but google provided it as the first "hit"
    >when I put the name into the search box.)
    >
    >As far as the Channel Master CM7000PAL, it too is a HDD DVR and is
    >compared feature for feature in the chart on the Brite view web page
    >reference you provided. For further info about it, just put "CM7000PAL"
    >(without the quotation marks) into any of the popular search engines.
    >You will find many useful "hits" about it. Channel Master is based in
    >Mesa, Arizona, USA. One quick glance at the unit's owner's manual (see
    >the Channel Master web site for the link) makes it clear that the unit
    >is designed for use in the US. It seems to be a coincidence that the
    >model number includes the letters "PAL" which, I agree, at first thought
    >might have made someone wonder if the unit is intended for use where tvs
    >use the PAL instead of NTSC encoding.
    >
    >Suggestion: Spend a little more time with search engine research and
    >you will commonly find answers to most of your technical questions. I

    Ah. The question marks at the start of several lines were some other
    character before I copied and pasted. Sorry. I myself didn't have
    any questions.

    >found all the information I've included (above) in less than 3 minutes
    >of searching and reading.

    I only posted for the benefit of others who are reading or will google
    this thread, to have all the makes and models in one thread.

    Also not for me but for completeness, I found one more
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...iere-45-Hour-HD-DVR-(TCD746320)&c=HD DVR&sku=

    It's by TIVO, only 100 dollars except you have to subscribe to TIVO,
    but it also has over the air reception, which is good. Around here,
    the cable company has local network stations but not the network
    stations 45 miles away, which I can get with an antenna, and which
    have different programs from the stations here when it's not prime
    time, or when a local sports team is on tv.

    micky, Jul 8, 2011