I must be jinxed - VoIP is not going to happen for me!

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Jon, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Right.

    I've bought a box from an "internet phone shop" - a "Fritz box fon ATA"

    I've been faffing about for hours and I can't get the bastard going, and
    I'm just about ready to punch the wall.

    Can anyone help?

    Using:

    Plusnet ADSL 2 meg
    Draytek Vigor 2600VG router
    I'm forwarding 5060, 8000 and 8001 (TCP and UDP) to the IP of the fritz
    The fritz is also in the DMZ
    The "Internet" LED on the fritz will not come on, although I can't be
    sure from the manual if it should be on or not.
    I can access the Fritz web configurator by browsing to 192.168.1.10

    I have the following parameters in the internet telephony bit:

    Use Internet Number - checked
    Internet number: 207132 (my SIP ID provided by plusnet)
    Username: plustalk (provided by Plusnet)
    Password: my plusnet password
    Registrar: sip.plus.net
    STUN server: stun.xten.net (as recommended by plusnet)

    Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

    Dialling my plustalk 0845 number ends up stright to the american
    voicemail robot, which sounds really crap by the way.

    Grrrrrrrrr!
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Right.
    >
    > I've bought a box from an "internet phone shop" - a "Fritz box fon ATA"
    >
    > I've been faffing about for hours and I can't get the bastard going, and
    > I'm just about ready to punch the wall.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Using:
    >
    > Plusnet ADSL 2 meg
    > Draytek Vigor 2600VG router
    > I'm forwarding 5060, 8000 and 8001 (TCP and UDP) to the IP of the fritz
    > The fritz is also in the DMZ
    > The "Internet" LED on the fritz will not come on, although I can't be
    > sure from the manual if it should be on or not.
    > I can access the Fritz web configurator by browsing to 192.168.1.10
    >
    > I have the following parameters in the internet telephony bit:
    >
    > Use Internet Number - checked
    > Internet number: 207132 (my SIP ID provided by plusnet)
    > Username: plustalk (provided by Plusnet)
    > Password: my plusnet password
    > Registrar: sip.plus.net
    > STUN server: stun.xten.net (as recommended by plusnet)
    >
    > Can I make calls? Can I buggery.
    >
    > Dialling my plustalk 0845 number ends up stright to the american
    > voicemail robot, which sounds really crap by the way.
    >
    > Grrrrrrrrr!

    And the last entry in the event log is "Registration of Internet number
    plustalk failed. Remote site reports reason for error 407"
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Jan 6, 2006

  3. Jon

    Alfie [UK] Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 21:40:58 -0000, Jon <> wrote:
    >And the last entry in the event log is "Registration of Internet number
    >plustalk failed. Remote site reports reason for error 407"

    Error 407 is 'proxy authentication required'. Make sure if you have a
    proxy set that it has the correct settings and that username/password is
    set correctly.
    --
    Alfie
    <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

    Alfie [UK], Jan 6, 2006
  4. Jon

    Brian Guest

    Try Skype!

    Brian, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Jon

    Peter M Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > Can anyone help?
    > Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

    Only to mention uk.telecom.voip and you can get a free number
    /SIP account with voicemail from the PSTN at Sipgate.co.uk if
    you want a separate service with quite a lot of existing users
    (so if there's a problem they may be able to help) for testing.

    Peter M, Jan 7, 2006
  6. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > Jon wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone help?
    > > Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

    > Only to mention uk.telecom.voip and you can get a free number
    > /SIP account with voicemail from the PSTN at Sipgate.co.uk if
    > you want a separate service with quite a lot of existing users
    > (so if there's a problem they may be able to help) for testing.

    I also have a sipgate account already - that doesn't work either.
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Jan 7, 2006
  7. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > declared for all the world to hear...
    > > Jon wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can anyone help?
    > > > Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

    > > Only to mention uk.telecom.voip and you can get a free number
    > > /SIP account with voicemail from the PSTN at Sipgate.co.uk if
    > > you want a separate service with quite a lot of existing users
    > > (so if there's a problem they may be able to help) for testing.

    > I also have a sipgate account already - that doesn't work either.

    Progress of sorts:

    I've messed around with settings and I can now make and receive calls on
    both the sipgate and the plustalk account, however it's one-way audio
    (out). Anything the other party says does not come through.

    I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz (which is
    still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Jan 7, 2006
  8. Jon

    Guest

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:42:04 -0000, Jon <>
    wrote:

    >I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz (which is
    >still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

    For voip.co.uk I forward

    5060 and 5061 (it's a two line jobbie)
    10001 - 20000
    (all UDP)

    For sipgate I forward

    (all UDP)
    3478
    (UDP and TCP)

    and it works: all three lines work just fine at the same time.

    Obviously the two ATAs are on different external IPs!

    I've no idea if this is the optimal setup, but it does work.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Jan 7, 2006
  9. Jon

    Guest

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 09:16:45 -0000, Jon <>
    wrote:

    > declared for all the world to hear...
    >> Jon wrote:
    >>
    >> > Can anyone help?
    >> > Can I make calls? Can I buggery.

    >> Only to mention uk.telecom.voip and you can get a free number
    >> /SIP account with voicemail from the PSTN at Sipgate.co.uk if
    >> you want a separate service with quite a lot of existing users
    >> (so if there's a problem they may be able to help) for testing.

    >I also have a sipgate account already - that doesn't work either.

    Load of crap aren't they .

    , Jan 7, 2006
  10. Jon

    Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:45:39 GMT, wrote:

    >Load of crap

    Yes, you do tend to write that.

    If sipgate is so crap, how come it works perfectly for me and for many
    other people?

    You couldn't make it work, but that may not be Sipgate's fault: it
    could be a measure of your competence.
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Jan 7, 2006
  11. Jon

    Martin² Guest

    Jon:
    >I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz (which is
    >still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

    You also need to forward ports 8000 8001 (also 8002 & 8003 if you using more
    then one line) and 3478, 3479 to the Fritz!
    You may have to open and forward ports 16348 to 32768 for some VoIP
    services.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 8, 2006
  12. Jon

    Peter Guest

    [plusnet.service.customer-feedback removed as it doesn't exist.]

    Jon <> wrote:
    [...]
    > I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz
    > (which is still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

    Giving your SIP device a public IP address gets rid of a right load of
    NAT-related hassle.

    --
    The point of living, and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to
    believe the best is yet to come.

    Peter, Jan 9, 2006
  13. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    > [plusnet.service.customer-feedback removed as it doesn't exist.]
    >
    > Jon <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > > I'm forwarding UDP 10000, 5060 and 5004 to the IP of the Fritz
    > > (which is still in DMZ). Any ideas anyone?

    > Giving your SIP device a public IP address gets rid of a right load of
    > NAT-related hassle.

    Hmmm, interesting. How can I achieve that? Ask my ISP for another IP?
    --
    Regards
    Jon

    Jon, Jan 9, 2006
  14. Jon

    Tim Bray Guest

    Jon wrote:

    > Hmmm, interesting. How can I achieve that? Ask my ISP for another IP?

    Ask your ISP for a range of IP addresses. Usually, they give you 8.
    This means one for the LAN side of the router, and 5 you can actually use.

    All decent ISP's will give you a block of 8 IP's if you ask nicely.

    It especially makes sense if you want to run servers at home - you can
    waste hours working out the correct port forwardings, only to find they
    only work sometimes.

    Remember to think about security, load OS patches, and be careful. This
    advice applies to machines behind a NAT too, but when you are on a
    public IP you need to be extra careful.

    It should also be mentioned that with a decent SIP service provider,
    they will have their systems setup so that they provide for nat
    traversal. This might be a seperate outbound proxy address, or just
    built into their SIP servers.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 10, 2006
  15. Jon

    Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:05:21 +0000, Tim Bray <>
    wrote:

    >Remember to think about security, load OS patches, and be careful.

    You can use a multi-NAT router
    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Jan 10, 2006
  16. Jon

    Tim Bray Guest

    wrote:

    > You can use a multi-NAT router

    If you mean a 1:1 nat box - the kind of thing that lets you map a public
    IP address onto a private IP address.

    Then the answer is no. Such devices are the biggest pain in the arse ever.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 11, 2006
  17. Jon

    Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:17:40 +0000, Tim Bray <>
    wrote:

    >If you mean a 1:1 nat box - the kind of thing that lets you map a public
    >IP address onto a private IP address.

    No, I don't mean that. I mean a multi-nat router. One that has two
    external IPs and two (or more) sets of NAT addressing. I'm not sure
    how many ADSL modem/routers have this, but both ours have.

    >Then the answer is no. Such devices are the biggest pain in the arse ever.

    I'm not sure I comprehend the function of such a thing. If it is
    mapping 1:1 it is not a NAT router, is it? Just a DMZ.

    --
    Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
    http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html

    , Jan 11, 2006
  18. Jon

    Tim Bray Guest

    wrote:
    >>If you mean a 1:1 nat box - the kind of thing that lets you map a public
    >>IP address onto a private IP address.

    > No, I don't mean that. I mean a multi-nat router. One that has two
    > external IPs and two (or more) sets of NAT addressing. I'm not sure
    > how many ADSL modem/routers have this, but both ours have.

    I understand what you mean. I'm not sure of the benefits for running a
    SIP server.

    Unless you mean where you run public IP's and private IP's within the
    same ethernet. This is how the Drayteks work and is very useful for
    putting phones or servers on public IP's and let normal PC's have
    private (natted and so a bit more secure) IPs.

    >>Then the answer is no. Such devices are the biggest pain in the arse ever.

    > I'm not sure I comprehend the function of such a thing. If it is
    > mapping 1:1 it is not a NAT router, is it? Just a DMZ.

    Just like a multiple DMZ.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 11, 2006