I May Have Been Had on an XP x64 License

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by J. Eric Durbin, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. After the OEM XP x64 disk I had originally purchased from Directron
    was damaged during a reinstall (due to my own carelessness), I needed
    to purchase a new license. I found an "OEM" disk listed at
    9software.com in Hampton, VA for $119.00.

    I received the disk today, but the disk is labeled:

    "Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Volume License Product
    Key Required).

    "May 2005 Systems

    "Windows Client: Business.

    "All use subject to volume license agreement. Do not make illegal
    copies of this disk. Not for Retail or OEM Distribution. Not for
    Resale."

    So, it looks like I've been had. I don't want an illegal copy of x64
    on my system.

    Should I report this 9software.com to Microsoft? If so, anyone know
    the address?
    J. Eric Durbin, Dec 28, 2005

  2. J. Eric Durbin, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Yes, you've been had. report to .

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 28, 2005
  4. J. Eric Durbin

    Vanguard Guest

    > After the OEM XP x64 disk I had originally purchased from Directron
    > was damaged during a reinstall (due to my own carelessness), I needed
    > to purchase a new license. I found an "OEM" disk listed at
    > 9software.com in Hampton, VA for $119.00.
    >
    > I received the disk today, but the disk is labeled:
    >
    > "Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Volume License Product
    > Key Required).

    Report the theft to:

    Blue Moon Internet Services
    (http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=!NET-66-216-78-160-1&server=whois.arin.net),
    the owner of the IP address for 9software.com.

    rackspace.com, the upstream provider for 9software.com according to a
    traceroute.

    The Office of the State Attorney in Hampton, VA, where the registrant
    claimed was their postal location per
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=9software.com&cache=off. And to
    domaininfo.com, the registrar for that domain.

    Check the Received headers of any e-mails that they sent to you, like the
    order confirmation, to find out who they used for their e-mail provider, and
    complain there.

    Complain to volusion.com
    (http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=volusion.com), the domain that
    provides the DNS server for 9software.com according a dig on that domain
    name.
    Vanguard, Dec 28, 2005
  5. On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:13:12 -0600, "Vanguard"
    <> wrote:

    >"J. Eric Durbin" <> wrote in message
    >> After the OEM XP x64 disk I had originally purchased from Directron
    >> was damaged during a reinstall (due to my own carelessness), I needed
    >> to purchase a new license. I found an "OEM" disk listed at
    >> 9software.com in Hampton, VA for $119.00.
    >>
    >> I received the disk today, but the disk is labeled:
    >>
    >> "Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Volume License Product
    >> Key Required).

    >Report the theft to:
    >

    >Blue Moon Internet Services
    >(http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=!NET-66-216-78-160-1&server=whois.arin.net),
    >the owner of the IP address for 9software.com.
    >
    >rackspace.com, the upstream provider for 9software.com according to a
    >traceroute.
    >
    >The Office of the State Attorney in Hampton, VA, where the registrant
    >claimed was their postal location per
    >http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=9software.com&cache=off. And to
    >domaininfo.com, the registrar for that domain.
    >
    >Check the Received headers of any e-mails that they sent to you, like the
    >order confirmation, to find out who they used for their e-mail provider, and
    >complain there.
    >
    >Complain to volusion.com
    >(http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=volusion.com), the domain that
    >provides the DNS server for 9software.com according a dig on that domain
    >name.

    Thanks to you and Charlie.

    I have emailed the information to . I am going to
    wait to hear what they have to say before involving the others you
    mentioned. If Microsoft confirms they are going after the vendor, I
    will contact the others as well as pricewatch.com.

    -jd
    J. Eric Durbin, Dec 28, 2005
  6. J. Eric Durbin

    John Barnes Guest

    Always pays to make a 'legal' backup copy of your software. Inexpensive
    insurance.

    John Barnes, Dec 28, 2005
  7. J. Eric Durbin

    Vanguard Guest

    > I have emailed the information to . I am going to
    > wait to hear what they have to say before involving the others you
    > mentioned. If Microsoft confirms they are going after the vendor, I
    > will contact the others as well as pricewatch.com.

    It is unlikely that you will ever get a human response to your piracy claim
    sent to Microsoft. If and by the time they send you something, this pirate
    has sold more illegal copies to others and probably has disappeared by then.
    Vanguard, Dec 28, 2005
  8. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:45:34 -0600, "Vanguard"
    <> wrote:

    >"J. Eric Durbin" <> wrote in message
    >> I have emailed the information to . I am going to
    >> wait to hear what they have to say before involving the others you
    >> mentioned. If Microsoft confirms they are going after the vendor, I
    >> will contact the others as well as pricewatch.com.

    >It is unlikely that you will ever get a human response to your piracy claim
    >sent to Microsoft. If and by the time they send you something, this pirate
    >has sold more illegal copies to others and probably has disappeared by then.

    I did receive an auto ack from saying that they
    would likely not inform me of any action Microsoft might take. So I
    informed Price Watch and I'll see what they have to say. Perhaps
    they'll drop them from their listings.

    I'm not sure about escalating this to hosting services and dns
    providers. I assume the vendor will just claim I'm a crank or
    disgruntled customer. I will probably forward a complaint to the VA AG
    but I suspect it will be lost in a pile of similar complaints.
    J. Eric Durbin, Dec 28, 2005
  9. Don't be so pessimistic. Report to whoever you think best and let them
    worry about it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 28, 2005