I LOVE FULLSCREEN

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Michael Rogers, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Fullscreen should mean original aspect ratio. So widescreen is actually
    fullscreen and what is called "fullscreen" is actually "cropped" or "Pan
    and scan" or "halfscreen" or "3/4 screen". This applies to all films not
    of Academy ratio, of course. Wizard Of Oz and Casablanca for example
    actually are pretty much fullscreen with the 4:3 TV screen filled.

    Down with "fullscreen" used as a term to describe cropped and pan and
    scan movies.

    I have said before that I think "pan and scan" DVD's should still be
    produced (provided they don't replace widescreen DVD's) but they all
    should have a statement to the effect of:

    "This film was originally shot in anamorphic widescreen at a ratio of
    2.35 to 1. To modify this film to fill your TV, it was nessasary to crop
    out 40% of the original picture. While the best effort was made to focus
    on the most "important" part of the picture, there will still be
    elements that were meant to be seen by the filmakers that will be not
    seen on this DVD.

    Also, if you intend to purchase a Widescreen (16:9 ratio) television in
    the future, this DVD will require bars at either side of this image to
    view it without distortion."

    Michael Rogers, Dec 31, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Michael Rogers <> wrote:

    > Fullscreen should mean original aspect ratio. So widescreen is actually
    > fullscreen and what is called "fullscreen" is actually "cropped" or "Pan
    > and scan" or "halfscreen" or "3/4 screen". This applies to all films not
    > of Academy ratio, of course. Wizard Of Oz and Casablanca for example
    > actually are pretty much fullscreen with the 4:3 TV screen filled.
    >
    > Down with "fullscreen" used as a term to describe cropped and pan and
    > scan movies.
    >
    > I have said before that I think "pan and scan" DVD's should still be
    > produced (provided they don't replace widescreen DVD's) but they all
    > should have a statement to the effect of:
    >
    > "This film was originally shot in anamorphic widescreen at a ratio of
    > 2.35 to 1. To modify this film to fill your TV, it was nessasary to crop
    > out 40% of the original picture. While the best effort was made to focus
    > on the most "important" part of the picture, there will still be
    > elements that were meant to be seen by the filmakers that will be not
    > seen on this DVD.
    >
    > Also, if you intend to purchase a Widescreen (16:9 ratio) television in
    > the future, this DVD will require bars at either side of this image to
    > view it without distortion."

    I love this post! Excellent, Michael!

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 31, 2003