    know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    advise? Thanks,

    James, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Macromedia should not make it any less secure. Just get the plugin from
    PluginDoc or Macromedia itself.

    If you're one of those security nuts, get a firewall, but you are as
    secure now as you will be. The Virusses, etc. are mostly spread through
    idiotic downloading, but occaisionally will leak through pages. Almost
    never through Flash, though.

    Poly-p man

    =?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=, Sep 2, 2005

  3. James

    Old Gringo Guest

    James wrote:
    > It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    > know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    > and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    > advise? Thanks,

    The plug-ins are the first things I got for FireFox and have no problems.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Sep 2, 2005
  4. On 2005-09-02, James <> wrote:

    > It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    > know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    > and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    > advise?

    Generally, the worst thing about Flash is that it is annoying. Go ahead
    and install the plugin, then install the "flashblock" extension so you can
    chose when and which Flash things to display.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Sep 2, 2005
  5. James

    Simian Dyson Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    > know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    > and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    > advise? Thanks,

    Go ahead and plug it in. Hell, Flash should be the worst securtity threat
    your Wintel machine has to face. Beside, don't you want all those spinning
    coffee cups and flashing lights?

    Simian Dyson, Sep 2, 2005
  6. James

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *þó¡ÿ-Þõ!ý m@ñ* wrote:
    > Macromedia should not make it any less secure. Just get the plugin from
    > PluginDoc or Macromedia itself.
    >
    > If you're one of those security nuts, get a firewall, but you are as
    > secure now as you will be. The Virusses, etc. are mostly spread through
    > idiotic downloading, but occaisionally will leak through pages. Almost
    > never through Flash, though.

    You will be ignored if you top post, don't quote what
    you are replying to and cut of only the signatures!

    /Arne

    Arne, Sep 2, 2005
  7. James

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:07:23 -0400, in message
     <>, James wrote:

    > It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    > know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    > and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    > advise? Thanks,

    Just make sure that the following about:config setting

    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins

    is set to 2, or you may be less secure from pop-up windows with ads.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 2, 2005
  8. James

    ar@x Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:07:23 -0400, in message
    > <>, James wrote:
    >
    >> It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    >> know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    >> and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    >> advise? Thanks,

    > Just make sure that the following about:config setting
    >
    > privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >
    > is set to 2, or you may be less secure from pop-up windows with ads.
    >

    >> privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins ?!

    I see no such entry in my about:config - using Firefox (version 1.06)

    ar@x, Sep 2, 2005
  9. James

    Jedi Fans Guest

    ar@x wrote:
    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:07:23 -0400, in message
    >> <>, James wrote:
    >>
    >>> It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    >>> know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    >>> and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    >>> advise? Thanks,

    >> Just make sure that the following about:config setting
    >>
    >> privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >>
    >> is set to 2, or you may be less secure from pop-up windows with ads.
    >>

    > >> privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins ?!

    > I see no such entry in my about:config - using Firefox (version 1.06)

    you have to make it urself

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    The Force Is With Me, SuSE Linux Professional 9.3, Mozilla Firefox

    Jedi Fans, Sep 2, 2005
  10. James

    Ed Mullen Guest

    ar@x wrote:
    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:07:23 -0400, in message
    >><>, James wrote:
    >>

    >>>It keeps wanting me to install the Macromedia Flash 7 player plugin. I
    >>>know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    >>>and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    >>>advise? Thanks,

    >>Just make sure that the following about:config setting
    >>
    >> privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
    >>
    >>is set to 2, or you may be less secure from pop-up windows with ads.
    >>

    > >> privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins ?!

    > I see no such entry in my about:config - using Firefox (version 1.06)

    Create it yourself. Right-click in the about:config window, choose New,
    Integer. Enter the preference name
    "privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins" without quotes. Enter the value.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2005
  11. all usenet behavioral office are closed for the long weekend, I suggest you
    join your mates,,,,

    ReEfEr MaDnEsS, Sep 4, 2005
  12. James

    Z Guest