    let go.

    In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.

    Now I see there's a new G5 mouse. Anybody got any opinions on that?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2006

  2. On 10 Nov 06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    | The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I
    | was given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's
    | started to develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too
    | fast, it seems to think I've clicked the button (when I haven't).
    | Also more recently the right button has started to pretend it's been
    | released before I actually let go.
    |
    | In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other
    | mice.
    |
    | Now I see there's a new G5 mouse. Anybody got any opinions on that?

    After four years of service, maybe it's time to take it apart and get
    rid of the cobwebs, perhaps a spot [only!] of plastics grease or
    silicone on the wheel pivots, clean between the spokes of the wheel,
    and generally give it a birthday.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 10, 2006

  3. In message <>, Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

    > After four years of service, maybe it's time to take it apart and get
    > rid of the cobwebs, perhaps a spot [only!] of plastics grease or
    > silicone on the wheel pivots, clean between the spokes of the wheel,
    > and generally give it a birthday.

    A few months ago, I took the Dual Optical around to a repair guy I know, who
    has a lot more experience with hardware than I have. He did open it up and
    clean it, but it made no difference to the wheel problem. (This was before
    the right-button problem began to manifest.)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Jerry Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    > given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    > develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    > think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    > right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    > let go.
    >
    > In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >
    > Now I see there's a new G5 mouse. Anybody got any opinions on that?

    I haven't tried that one, but it should be a nice mouse. Logitech does
    make some very nice gear. I have a Logitech cordless wireless
    rechargable mouse and I love it.

    Jerry, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Guest

    On 10 Nov 2006 16:18:35 +1300, "Nicolaas Hawkins" <grumpy.mole@large> wrote:

    >On 10 Nov 06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >| The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I
    >| was given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's
    >| started to develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too
    >| fast, it seems to think I've clicked the button (when I haven't).
    >| Also more recently the right button has started to pretend it's been
    >| released before I actually let go.
    >|
    >| In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other
    >| mice.
    >|
    >| Now I see there's a new G5 mouse. Anybody got any opinions on that?

    Don't I do not like mine, recently it keeps losing the desk and then goes berserk, plus only one
    side button.

    >After four years of service, maybe it's time to take it apart and get
    >rid of the cobwebs, perhaps a spot [only!] of plastics grease or
    >silicone on the wheel pivots, clean between the spokes of the wheel,
    >and generally give it a birthday.

    , Nov 10, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    > given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    > develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    > think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    > right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    > let go.
    >
    > In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.

    *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    or so.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2006
  7. In article <ej0n68$pbe$>, _zealand
    says...

    > The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    > given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    > develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    > think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    > right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    > let go.
    >
    > In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >
    > Now I see there's a new G5 mouse. Anybody got any opinions on that?

    Not sure which one the G5 is but there is a cordless optical one with a
    charging station/receiver that I covet. Just now I have one of the earlier
    cordless desktop combos, the cordless optical mouse is a sweetie & very good
    for gaming. Had it for 4-6 years now. This thing gets thrashed for many hours
    each day and it still looks nearly like new. Only 'problem' is that the nimh
    batteries are empty after 1-2 weeks. No biggie since I have 6 and at least 2
    are always topped up.
    I am just not sure what will happen when I pull the mouse plug of the dual
    receiver outta the comp and plug a different receiver in ... if the two
    receivers would interfere with each other.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 10, 2006
  8. In message <45543432$>, Enkidu wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    >> given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    >> develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems
    >> to think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    >> right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    >> let go.
    >>
    >> In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >>

    > *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    > or so.

    My G4 iMac is four and a half years old. Still with its original mouse. In
    fact, I just gave the keyboard its first-ever clean with isopropyl and
    cotton swabs today. It's almost back to its original white colour. :)

    I expect my stuff to last a good long time, and most of it actually does.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2006
  9. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > In article <ej0n68$pbe$>,
    > _zealand says...
    >>
    >> The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    >> given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    >> develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems
    >> to think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    >> right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    >> let go.
    >>
    >> In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >>
    >> Now I see there's a new G5 mouse. Anybody got any opinions on that?

    > Not sure which one the G5 is but there is a cordless optical one with a
    > charging station/receiver that I covet.

    No, the G5 is corded. I'm not a fan of cordless keyboards or mice.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2006
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:11:42 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    >> given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    >> develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    >> think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    >> right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    >> let go.
    >>
    >> In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >>

    >*Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    >or so.

    Get pissed off at the computer and throw the mouse at the wall a lot do you?

    :)

    Craig Shore, Nov 10, 2006
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:11:42 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    >>> given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    >>> develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    >>> think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    >>> right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    >>> let go.
    >>>
    >>> In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >>>

    >> *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    >> or so.

    > Get pissed off at the computer and throw the mouse at the wall a lot do you?

    Serious answer, no, they just stop working.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2006
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MarkH Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote in

    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:11:42 +1300, Enkidu
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6
    >>> months or so.

    >> Get pissed off at the computer and throw the mouse at the wall a lot
    >> do you?
    >>

    > Serious answer, no, they just stop working.

    What Brand/Model do you use?

    I have a Logitech MX500 that I used as my main mouse for about 3 years -
    about a year and a half ago I bought a Logitech MX1000 to use as my main
    mouse and relegated the MX500 to the KVM to run the less used PCs. After 4
    years the MX500 is still working fine and after 1.5 years the MX1000 is
    also working fine.

    I use my mice for quite a large number of hours per day with a range of
    activities from normal Windows use to games, I don't remember any mouse
    dying within 6 months, let alone 3 or 4 months.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 10, 2006
  13. Enkidu <> wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    > > given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    > > develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    > > think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    > > right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    > > let go.
    > >
    > > In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    > >

    > *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    > or so.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I've old Apple ADB mouses that are ten years old and still going strong.
    The 'puck' mouses I got with my old CRT iMacs are also ok after over
    seven years use. On my main Mac I've been constantly using a MS Optical
    IntelliMouse every day for the past six years, and it works as well as
    the day I got it.

    You must give your mouses a real workout :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 10, 2006
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-10, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >> Get pissed off at the computer and throw the mouse at the wall a lot do you?
    >>

    > Serious answer, no, they just stop working.

    Possibly needs some strain-relief on the cable.

    If the cable goes off the back of the desk down to the PC pull up enough for
    comfortable use cable and fix it in place (eg tape it down/ stick something
    heavy on it etc) so that the cable under the desk isn't pulling on the mouse.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Nov 10, 2006
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    >>> given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    >>> develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems to
    >>> think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    >>> right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    >>> let go.
    >>>
    >>> In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >>>

    >> *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    >> or so.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > I've old Apple ADB mouses that are ten years old and still going strong.
    > The 'puck' mouses I got with my old CRT iMacs are also ok after over
    > seven years use. On my main Mac I've been constantly using a MS Optical
    > IntelliMouse every day for the past six years, and it works as well as
    > the day I got it.
    >
    > You must give your mouses a real workout :)

    No, I clean the crud of them periodically, make sure that the lens is
    clear, that sort of thing. I used to clean the ball and rollers when I
    had ball-mices.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 10, 2006
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <45543432$>, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > >
    > > > The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical
    > > > mouse I was given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to
    > > > it. It's started to develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel
    > > > upwards too fast, it seems to think I've clicked the button (when
    > > > I haven't). Also more recently the right button has started to
    > > > pretend it's been released before I actually let go.
    > > >
    > > > In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my
    > > > other mice.
    > > >

    > > *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6
    > > months or so.

    > My G4 iMac is four and a half years old. Still with its original
    > mouse. In fact, I just gave the keyboard its first-ever clean with
    > isopropyl and cotton swabs today. It's almost back to its original
    > white colour. :)
    >
    > I expect my stuff to last a good long time, and most of it actually
    > does.

    Same here, despite my proclivity for overclocking. <g>.

    I also recently did my first ever thourough keyboard clean recently, I use
    an old (late last century, came with a Pentium 166MHz I believe, or maybe a
    PII, it has a Windows key, part number 166516-B36)) Compaq keyboard, it's
    what I've got used to. I completely dismantled it and washed each key and
    push-rod (?) individually, then dried and re-assembled it. I could have
    bought a cheapie instead but; What can I say? I don't like to 'waste' things
    that are still useful and I tend towards inertia, I resist change unless it
    has a significant benefit. This is handy for someone on the budget I have.
    :)
    --
    Shaun.

    "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding"
    Albert Einstein

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2006
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    MarkH Guest

    Enkidu <> wrote in

    > No, I clean the crud of them periodically, make sure that the lens is
    > clear, that sort of thing. I used to clean the ball and rollers when I
    > had ball-mices.

    Have you ever considered pay more than $5-$10 for a mouse?

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Nov 11, 2006
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> The first bit of Logitech gear I owned was this Dual Optical mouse I was
    >> given about four years ago. It's got a nice feel to it. It's started to
    >> develop problems, though: if I roll the wheel upwards too fast, it seems
    >> think I've clicked the button (when I haven't). Also more recently the
    >> right button has started to pretend it's been released before I actually
    >> let go.
    >>
    >> In spite of these irritations, I still prefer using it to my other mice.
    >>

    > *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    > or so.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    You shouldn't let your cat play with them.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 11, 2006
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:11:42 +1300, Enkidu <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> *Four years?* My mice last 3 to 4 months at most! Opticals last 6 months
    >>> or so.

    >> Get pissed off at the computer and throw the mouse at the wall a lot do
    >> you?
    >>

    > Serious answer, no, they just stop working.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Clean the dirt from them and any hairs.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 11, 2006
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig Shore wrote:

    >>> Get pissed off at the computer and throw the mouse at the wall a lot do
    >>> you?
    >>>

    >> Serious answer, no, they just stop working.

    > Clean the dirt from them and any hairs.

    Ewww, Eb, I don't even want to think about how your mice acquire hairs...

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 11, 2006