I knew Actrix was too good to be true...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I was paying for 256/128 but getting FS/128, been that way for about a year.
    Still limited to 1GB/day but I could get a fair bit downloaded even after I
    was limited to 64/64 and, when I wanted something, I didn't have to wait for
    hours. 256 is so slow!

    However, as of last week, Actrix has been un-throttling all Cyberjet
    customers between 6pm and 8pm. "Free Time". Any that weren't throttled
    already don't have that 2 hours of data count towards their cap.

    My bad, I had a few downloads lined up and, for two days in a row, seem to
    have download close to 2GB between 6pm and 8pm. Obviously someone noticed
    and has capped me tightly at 256 for the last two days. :-(

    I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get more
    that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my 1GB, just not
    a feasible plan for me.

    Time to put on the makeup and find a street corner <g>, I need to raise some
    funds.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2007

  2. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get more
    > that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my 1GB, just not
    > a feasible plan for me.

    Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only to
    download 1gig of "downloads".

    If the terms of the contract are that your speed is 5 times dialup speed,
    then that is what you should have. Pointless complaining that they had
    been giving you more than what you had contracted them to provide you.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 10, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
    >> more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
    >> 1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.

    > Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only
    > to download 1gig of "downloads".

    Sarcasm! Cool!

    Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the latest Ubuntu
    release?

    > If the terms of the contract are that your speed is 5 times dialup
    > speed, then that is what you should have. Pointless complaining that
    > they had been giving you more than what you had contracted them to
    > provide you.

    I saw my post as more of an informative one than a complaint. Still, eye of
    the beholder and all that. The thing is, I know of several people who were
    in the same situation as I was, getting "full speed" while paying for a
    lesser speed from Actrix. We'd decided to not discuss it openly here for
    fear of ruining a good thing. Now it's gone I was merely informing others,
    perhaps hoping for some feedback from them.

    Still, I'm on a new install and haven't imported my blocked sender list yet.
    So I guess this is goodbye.
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2007
  4. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:41:20 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
    >>> more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
    >>> 1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.

    >> Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only
    >> to download 1gig of "downloads".

    > Sarcasm! Cool!

    No - not sarcastic. More like rolling the eyes.

    > Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the latest
    > Ubuntu release?

    No. I don't move to a new release merely because it has been released.
    Besides, I don't use Ubuntu. If I was to use that flavour I'd be more
    likely to use Kubuntu as it has KDE - the better (IMHO) GUI.

    >> If the terms of the contract are that your speed is 5 times dialup
    >> speed, then that is what you should have. Pointless complaining that
    >> they had been giving you more than what you had contracted them to
    >> provide you.

    > I saw my post as more of an informative one than a complaint. Still, eye
    > of the beholder and all that. The thing is, I know of several people who
    > were in the same situation as I was, getting "full speed" while paying
    > for a lesser speed from Actrix. We'd decided to not discuss it openly
    > here for fear of ruining a good thing. Now it's gone I was merely
    > informing others, perhaps hoping for some feedback from them.
    >
    > Still, I'm on a new install and haven't imported my blocked sender list
    > yet. So I guess this is goodbye.

    I'm curious...

    why did you reinstall?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 11, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:41:20 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Still, I'm on a new install and haven't imported my blocked sender
    >> list yet. So I guess this is goodbye.

    Heh! Still haven't got around to importing that list, I dislike working in
    the registry.

    > I'm curious...
    >
    > why did you reinstall?

    I have a new mobo with a new chipset, XP just BSOD'ed on startup.

    I decided to get rid of a bunch of slower machines that I've accumulated
    over the last few years on Trademe and build one fast one using some new
    parts, some re-used. It was instigated by a friend getting me to do a full
    re-build for him, and him giving me his 7800GT PCI-e card in appreciation. I
    didn't have a mobo that takes PCI-e cards. <shrug> (I didn't get rid of
    /all/ my older machines, just some of them.)
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2007
  6. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:16:09 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> I'm curious...
    >>
    >> why did you reinstall?

    > I have a new mobo with a new chipset, XP just BSOD'ed on startup.

    Indeed.

    WinNTx is very intolerant of changing the non-peripheral hardware.

    :eek:)

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 11, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    Ross Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I was paying for 256/128 but getting FS/128, been that way for about a year.
    >Still limited to 1GB/day but I could get a fair bit downloaded even after I
    >was limited to 64/64 and, when I wanted something, I didn't have to wait for
    >hours. 256 is so slow!
    >
    >However, as of last week, Actrix has been un-throttling all Cyberjet
    >customers between 6pm and 8pm. "Free Time". Any that weren't throttled
    >already don't have that 2 hours of data count towards their cap.
    >
    >My bad, I had a few downloads lined up and, for two days in a row, seem to
    >have download close to 2GB between 6pm and 8pm. Obviously someone noticed
    >and has capped me tightly at 256 for the last two days. :-(
    >
    >I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get more
    >that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my 1GB, just not
    >a feasible plan for me.
    >
    >Time to put on the makeup and find a street corner <g>, I need to raise some
    >funds.

    Ah! So YOU are the one that is slowing down my Actrix connection
    between 6 and 8pm!

    Ross, Nov 11, 2007
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ross wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was paying for 256/128 but getting FS/128, been that way for about
    >> a year. Still limited to 1GB/day but I could get a fair bit
    >> downloaded even after I was limited to 64/64 and, when I wanted
    >> something, I didn't have to wait for hours. 256 is so slow!
    >>
    >> However, as of last week, Actrix has been un-throttling all Cyberjet
    >> customers between 6pm and 8pm. "Free Time". Any that weren't
    >> throttled already don't have that 2 hours of data count towards
    >> their cap.
    >>
    >> My bad, I had a few downloads lined up and, for two days in a row,
    >> seem to have download close to 2GB between 6pm and 8pm. Obviously
    >> someone noticed and has capped me tightly at 256 for the last two
    >> days. :-(
    >>
    >> I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
    >> more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
    >> 1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.
    >>
    >> Time to put on the makeup and find a street corner <g>, I need to
    >> raise some funds.

    > Ah! So YOU are the one that is slowing down my Actrix connection
    > between 6 and 8pm!

    LOL, maybe a few days ago. Not any more. :-(
    --
    TTFN,

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2007
  9. Hi there,

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:32:16 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've just bitten the bullet and put in an order for 2M/128. I'll get
    >>>more that way. At 256 it would take most of 12 hours to download my
    >>>1GB, just not a feasible plan for me.

    >>Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day only
    >>to download 1gig of "downloads".

    > Sarcasm! Cool!

    Hehe!

    > Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the latest Ubuntu
    > release?

    I'm not gonna mention how long it took me to download the Crysis demo.
    Actually, on 2nd thoughts I will....it took an eternity...25 minutes!

    Then I installed it on the laptop (8600M GT 256MB DX10) and on the
    desktop (7900GS 256MB DX9), and the winner is.....neither! Best I can
    do to make it playable is lower it to 1024x768 on the desktop and set
    to medium, where its sorta playable. On the laptop I have to drop to
    800x600 on medium to get a framerate over 10. D'oh! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    "Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
    or not they wanted all these wars"...

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 12, 2007
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> Oh dear. That must be such a limitation - taking a whole 1/2 day
    >>> only to download 1gig of "downloads".

    >> Sarcasm! Cool!

    > Hehe!
    >
    >> Tried the new Crysis demo? (1.8GB for a demo!) Did you get the
    >> latest Ubuntu release?

    > I'm not gonna mention how long it took me to download the Crysis demo.
    > Actually, on 2nd thoughts I will....it took an eternity...25 minutes!

    Bastrad! <g>

    > Then I installed it on the laptop (8600M GT 256MB DX10) and on the
    > desktop (7900GS 256MB DX9), and the winner is.....neither! Best I can
    > do to make it playable is lower it to 1024x768 on the desktop and set
    > to medium, where its sorta playable. On the laptop I have to drop to
    > 800x600 on medium to get a framerate over 10. D'oh! :)

    It sure is a demanding game. One of the few to be optimised for multiple
    cores, running physics one one, A.I. on another... As usual it's the gaming
    scene that's driving the hardware.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun. (Who's finally got around to importing his blocked senders list)

    ~misfit~, Nov 12, 2007