I keep losing connection to the internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Big Daddy, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Big Daddy

    Big Daddy Guest

    I have a network router question. I live on a campus of a small
    African college and help them with computer stuff. The campus here
    has a cisco router as the main one that connects us to the internet.
    There are then various other routers, switches, etc. around campus.
    One of the other smaller routers is a Linksys wireless router that is
    near to where we live that provides wireless access to the network for
    people like us. The wireless router periodically stops being able to
    give us access to the internet. Sometimes this happens every hour,
    sometimes it can work for days. So the symptom is that everything
    will be working normally and then all of a sudden, I can't access the
    internet, but I can access anywhere else inside our LAN. And it's not
    just our computer; all the computers that are connected to the
    wireless router stop being able to access the internet. I can't even
    ping an address outside of our LAN.

    The wirelss router has a static IP address. The way to make it start
    working again is to change the static IP address. When I do that,
    everything works fine again. And it's not just a matter of rebooting
    the wireless router. If you reboot it without changing the IP
    address, it doesn't work. So that (along with the fact that I can
    still access anywhere inside the LAN when the internet stops working)
    makes us think that it's not a problem with the wireless router
    itself, but with the main Cisco router, that it somehow only lets a
    limited amount of internet traffic through to the wireless router's IP
    address and then cuts it off until the its IP address changes. When
    this problem is occurring, I can ping 192.168.0.6, which is a computer
    on the network on the other side of the router. But I can't ping
    216.109.112.135, which is an ip address used by Yahoo. As far as our
    wireless router goes, both 216.109.112.135 and 192.168.0.6 are
    outside, so why would I be able to ping one and not the other.

    Have you ever heard of something like this? Do you have any ideas on
    this?
    Thanks,
    John
    Big Daddy, Feb 20, 2008

  2. Are you using multihomed computer? posting back with the result of ipconfig
    may help.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 20, 2008

  3. Big Daddy

    Big Daddy Guest

    On Feb 20, 5:36 pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
    <> wrote:
    > Are you using multihomed computer? posting back with the result of ipconfig
    > may help.

    More information to respond to questions and comments:

    I don't think the wireless router is failing because of too many
    connections. There are at most 10 people connected and I don't think
    that any of them are the types that would be doing illicit
    filesharing.

    This has happened with two different wireless routers. We had one
    last year that was also Lynksys, and it was having the same problem.
    We replaced the firmware with DD-WTR, and it didn't help. We replaced
    the router with a different one last summer. At first it seemed to be
    better, rarely needing to have its IP address reset. But the
    performance has slowly degenerated to needing to be reset multiple
    times a day.

    I am not using a multihomed computer.

    I have tried using a static ip address with my computer and getting
    dhcp from the wireless router. I have tried setting the dns servers
    myself or just accepting the default given from the router. These
    things don't make a difference.

    The wireless router has a static ip address of 192.168.0.245. The
    main router from our campus to the internet has an address of
    192.168.0.1. The DHCP server for most of the campus is a computer
    with address 192.168.0.2. It gives out ip addresses generally in
    the range of 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100, because there are fewer
    than 100 things that need an ip address on the network, but I haven't
    checked it to make sure that it isn't giving them out in the range
    close to 192.168.0.245, though I can't get a ping response from
    anything near there, so I don't think it's actually giving out any
    addresses conflicting with the wireless router's static address. I
    can try to check on that.

    The wireless router is configured to be a dhcp server and give out
    addresses in the range 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.149, so that none of
    the computers connecting to it have addresses that could interfere
    with other computers on the network. The wireless router's local ip
    address (i.e. what it looks like to my computer attached it) is
    192.168.2.1.

    So even when I can't ping addresses on the internet, I can ping an
    address that is on our LAN like 192.168.0.6, but is on the other side
    of the wireless router from my computer (i.e. on the WAN side of the
    router).

    When I do ipconfig /all on my computer, this is the output:

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : whatever
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100
    Integrated Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-CC-0C-E4

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN
    Mini-Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-7D-18-5B-4E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    196.200.16.27
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 21,
    2008 9:59:14 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 22, 2008
    9:59:14 AM

    Thanks for any more insight.
    Big Daddy, Feb 21, 2008
  4. Hi
    You can try (if allowed) to change the topology and use the Linksys as an
    Access Point rather than Router.
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 21, 2008