I just want to print a 4 x 6!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Howard Barkan, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!

    Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
    4x6 pictures from it.

    I have 4x6 glossy photo paper, a Canon S750 printer (this is not a question
    about what printer, just a "how to", thanks).

    I've got a few different photo editing software programs. For example,
    Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.

    Here's what I'm doing:

    1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
    2. Open them up in Photoshop.
    3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
    height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
    4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.

    What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
    lost track)

    The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the middle.

    When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
    get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.

    I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do it!
    I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.

    Any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

    Howard Barkan, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Howard Barkan

    Roger Guest

    Hi,
    Maybe in Print Setup, you did not change the paper size to 4X6..I've
    accidentally done this myself earlier on....
    Roger

    Roger, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Thanks -- but I don't see a Resize command under the Image menu. There's
    Image Size and Canvas Size. I've tried adjusting both of these, but still
    having problems.

    Howard Barkan, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Thanks -- but yes, I did change the paper size to 4 x 6.

    It's very strange. and frustrating. There's gotta be something dumb that
    I'm doing (won't be the first time!)

    Howard Barkan, Sep 1, 2003
  5. I suggest you use the software that came with the printer. It will be a
    lot more straight forward and easier to use. It should handle it for you.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 1, 2003
  6. Howard Barkan

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Howard Barkan"

    >Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
    >4x6 pictures from it.
    >
    >Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
    >
    >2. Open them up in Photoshop.
    >3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
    >height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).

    For printing without resampling the pixels you should uncheck the 'resample
    image' box in Image > Image Size and change the Width parameter in the
    'Document Size' box (I'm looking at Photoshop 7 so the syntax may be slightly
    different, but the basics should be the same). You need to uncheck 'resample
    image', this is the mistake most people make.

    >What is happening is this
    >
    >The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the middle.

    This likely means you resampled when you resized, which you didn't really want
    to do.

    >When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
    >get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.

    This shouldn't happen at all if you set the right parameter in "Document Size".
    What are the original pixel dimensions of your image, and do these change when
    you resize?

    >I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do it!

    You should be able to use the Image > Image Size command and then print without
    any hassles.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Howard Barkan

    tim sewell Guest

    > OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!
    >
    > 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
    > height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).

    The change to 5.333*4 is inevitable if you try to keep the image proportions
    unchanged, since the shape of your original photograph has sides with a
    ratio of 4:3.

    To make a genuine 6*4 you have to accept that some of the image will be
    cropped off. ie you change to 6* 4.5, and then crop 0.5 inches off to get
    down to 6*4.

    tim sewell, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Howard Barkan

    Norm Guest

    Howard, if you want something really simple go to this site
    http://www.jgraff.addr.com/ scroll down and download Easy Jpeg Printer, it's
    free and couldn't be easier. If you happen to be running XP, it has a
    simple printing wizard.

    Norm, Sep 2, 2003
  9. This was a big help, thanks! (and thanks to everyone else's suggestions
    too)

    Howard Barkan, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Howard Barkan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Howard Barkan wrote:
    > OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!
    >
    > Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
    > 4x6 pictures from it.
    >
    > I have 4x6 glossy photo paper, a Canon S750 printer (this is not a question
    > about what printer, just a "how to", thanks).
    >
    > I've got a few different photo editing software programs. For example,
    > Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
    >
    > Here's what I'm doing:
    >
    > 1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
    > 2. Open them up in Photoshop.
    > 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
    > height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
    > 4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.
    >
    > What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
    > lost track)
    >
    > The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the middle.
    >
    > When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
    > get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.
    >
    > I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do it!
    > I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.
    >
    > Any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

    Download Irfanview 3.85. It is FREE, and you can specify the size of
    the print. It does everything else for you. NO hassle.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Howard Barkan

    Patrick L. Guest

    With Paint Shop Pro 7, it's easy, and you don't have to preadjust the image
    size, like you do in other apps.

    File>Page Set up

    Select "fit to page", then either Portrait or Landscape (depending on your
    image) and 4x6 off the scroll menu, then hit the print button.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., Sep 2, 2003
  12. Howard Barkan

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "tim sewell" tsewell@REMOVETHIS TO REPLYmelbpc.org.au

    >The change to 5.333*4 is inevitable if you try to keep the image proportions
    >unchanged, since the shape of your original photograph has sides with a
    >ratio of 4:3.

    What kind of camera gives this ratio? A 35mm SLR or digital SLR will give you
    3:2 or a perfect 6"x4".

    Annika1980, Sep 2, 2003
  13. Howard Barkan

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (Annika1980)
    Date: Tue, Sep 2, 2003 7:25 AM

    >From: "tim sewell" tsewell@REMOVETHIS TO REPLYmelbpc.org.au

    >The change to 5.333*4 is inevitable if you try to keep the image proportions
    >unchanged, since the shape of your original photograph has sides with a
    >ratio of 4:3.

    What kind of camera gives this ratio? A 35mm SLR or digital SLR will give you
    3:2 or a perfect 6"x4".
    >><BR><BR>

    Uhm, you are posting in Rec.photo.DIGITAL.

    FredBillie, Sep 3, 2003
  14. Howard Barkan

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: ospam (FredBillie)

    >What kind of camera gives this ratio? A 35mm SLR or digital SLR will give
    >you
    >3:2 or a perfect 6"x4".
    > >>

    >Uhm, you are posting in Rec.photo.DIGITAL.

    My digital camera gives a 3:2 ratio. So buy a real camera if you wanna print
    4x6 photos. Or else learn to crop and resize.

    Annika1980, Sep 3, 2003
  15. Howard Barkan

    Brad Guest

    In article <>, annika1980
    @aol.com said...
    > >From: ospam (FredBillie)

    > >What kind of camera gives this ratio? A 35mm SLR or digital SLR will give
    > >you
    > >3:2 or a perfect 6"x4".
    > > >>

    > >Uhm, you are posting in Rec.photo.DIGITAL.

    > My digital camera gives a 3:2 ratio. So buy a real camera if you wanna print
    > 4x6 photos. Or else learn to crop and resize.

    My ISP doesn't put aol.com at the end of my email address. So subscribe
    to a real ISP if you want to be taken seriously.

    Brad, Sep 3, 2003
  16. Howard Barkan

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: (Annika1980)
    Date: Wed, Sep 3, 2003 8:52 AM

    >From: ospam (FredBillie)

    >What kind of camera gives this ratio? A 35mm SLR or digital SLR will give
    >you
    >3:2 or a perfect 6"x4".
    > >>

    >Uhm, you are posting in Rec.photo.DIGITAL.

    My digital camera gives a 3:2 ratio. So buy a real camera if you wanna print
    4x6 photos. Or else learn to crop and resize.
    >><BR><BR>

    Get real. Many of the posters don’t have your money and can’t buy a digital
    SLR and the preponderance of digital cameras produce 4X3 or 5X4 ratio pictures.
    My Canon G3 can’t produce 3X2 pictures out of the box but I really prefer it
    that way and like the proportions better. If I need 4X6 photos I can make full
    bleed prints on my Canon printer without any problems or easily crop them
    myself.

    FredBillie, Sep 4, 2003