    I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    fifthscn, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Ok....here is how you start...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    This is where you put in the features that are important to you. Ok...I
    suppose you don't know that yet. You don't know what you like to
    shoot...what you like about some cameras and hate about others. You don't
    know if you will get serious about photography or just be a snapshooter.

    I didn't know any of that when I bought my first camera about 40 years ago
    and that I why I kept that camera only about a year. I learned enough to
    know what I wanted for my second camera. Maybe you will get lucky and get
    the perfect camera for you the first time out. I doubt it. But, asking
    others what is the perfect camera won't work...they can only tell you what
    is best for them.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 24, 2006

  3. fifthscn

    Ron Hunter Guest

    fifthscn wrote:
    > I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    You can't really go far wrong if you stick to the popular brands:
    Canon, Kodak, Nikon, Panasonic, Casio. Research what is available that
    best fits your needs, and your method of taking pictures, then go to a
    store and HANDLE your top 5 possibles. Pick the one that best fits your
    hands.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 24, 2006
  4. fifthscn

    minnesotti Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > fifthscn wrote:
    > > I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > > suggestions?www.handbagws.com
    > >

    > You can't really go far wrong if you stick to the popular brands:
    > Canon, Kodak, Nikon, Panasonic, Casio. Research what is available that
    > best fits your needs, and your method of taking pictures, then go to a
    > store and HANDLE your top 5 possibles. Pick the one that best fits your
    > hands.

    Here is an even better advice to OP.

    Go to your friends and look through their albums. Choose the pictures
    which you like. Then think of those pictures -- what is common about
    them ? Is it nature pictures taken by an ultrazoom camera, or is it
    landscape pictures taken by a wide-angle lens camera ? Or is it faces
    of people at parties ? This is how you will work out your requirements
    to the camera, and thus will be able to choose the camera of the right
    functionality.

    You can pick up Canon. It is a Toyota of cameras. You cannot go wrong
    with the quality of the pictures.

    minnesotti, Jul 24, 2006
  5. fifthscn

    J. Clarke Guest

    fifthscn wrote:

    > I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    A possibly radical suggestion. If you're planning on becoming serious about
    photography and not sure what you want, go to Best Buy or Circuit City and
    buy the cheapest thing on the shelf. It will not be what you want but once
    you figure out _why_ it is not what you want (i.e. what you want to do that
    it won't do) you'll have a much better handle on what you really need.

    If you just want a reasonably versatile camera for snapshots, a Panasonic
    FZ7 or a Canon S3IS is _very_ nice.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Jul 24, 2006
  6. fifthscn

    bluezfolk Guest

    fifthscn wrote:
    > I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    First you need to define your needs, what kind of camera do you want?
    What is your price range? Once you got that down then you can begin to
    narrow the field.

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Jul 24, 2006
  7. fifthscn wrote:
    > I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    Frankly there are a lot of great cameras out there in all price ranges
    and types.

    It is good to stick to the known brand names. Gene gave you a great
    link for information, especially current information since in digital,
    cameras change quickly.

    I might suggest taking a look at Consumer Reports. Check your local
    library and find the most recent article on them. Read the whole story as
    they tend to go into what features are useful. Look at the ratings, but
    don't go strictly by the ratings, rather see why they rated one over another
    and see if those factors apply to you.

    I think your biggest challenge is going to be defining what you want in
    a camera, not which brand or camera to choose.

    I also suggest that once you have it down to a few choices, go somewhere
    and get those cameras in your hands. How do they feel, can you hold it easy
    and reach the controls. What works for me, with long fingers, may be very
    uncomfortable for you.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 24, 2006
  8. fifthscn

    JTS Brown Guest

    "fifthscn" <> wrote in message
    >I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    Just go to Wal-Mart and trust the sales people there. They'll answer all of
    your questions and sell you the perfect camera. Good luck!

    JTS Brown, Jul 24, 2006
  9. fifthscn

    Shevek Guest

    fifthscn escribió:
    > I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?

    As other have said, you should first define what do you want.

    Here you have some links to webpages comparing and describing the most
    popular cameras

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.dcresource.com/
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/index.html
    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=dir
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/b:Digital Cameras:20148412

    --
    Shevek

    Shevek, Jul 24, 2006
  10. "JTS Brown" <> wrote in message

    > "fifthscn" <> wrote in message
    >>I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    >> which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    >> suggestions?www.handbagws.com
    >>

    > Just go to Wal-Mart and trust the sales people there. They'll answer all
    > of your questions and sell you the perfect camera. Good luck!

    <GUFFAW!>

    But actually, Wal-Mart is not a bad place to look over cameras and get a
    feel for prices. And the OP probably won't be bothered by salescritters
    coming up and trying to sell him something. Unless his Wal-Mart is different
    from mine, 99% of the salespeople will just ignore him.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jul 24, 2006
  11. "fifthscn" <> wrote in message
    >I just want to buy a new camera,but I'm new to camera and not sure
    > which brand is better,canon,sony,sumsung or anyone else,any
    > suggestions?www.handbagws.com

    Nikon is best. I can tell you this with perfect confidence because I'm a
    Nikon enthusiast (though I do own other brands of cameras too).

    A Canon fan will tell you with equal confidence that Canon is best. Pay no
    attention to such people.

    Since you're not really familiar with cameras, whatever you buy make it
    something inexpensive. In all probability this will just be your *first*
    digital camera, and there's no reason to spend a lot of money for something
    with a lot of extra features that you don't understand and may never have
    any use for. By the time you are ready for your *next* camera, whether
    that's next year or 10 years from now, you will have a much better idea of
    what exactly you want in a camera and how to evaluate camera features.

    Also, make sure the camera takes Secure Digital (usually just called SD)
    memory cards as digital "film." The reason this is important is that SD
    cards have become pretty much a standard, they are inexpensive and often
    available at great sale prices and/or with rebates, and any such cards you
    buy will probably be usable in any camera(s) you buy in the future.
    Therefore do not buy a Fujifilm or Olympus camera that only takes xD cards,
    or a Sony camera that only takes Memory Sticks. Buying one of those will
    tend to lock you into that brand of camera, since all other brands use SD
    cards (or in some cases Compact Flash, but you won't be buying one of those
    as a first camera anyway).

    Reading camera magazines is a good way to get a feel for the many different
    brands and kinds of cameras. If you're in the U.S. you should be able to
    find Popular Photography & Imaging magazine in your local library as well as
    various stores. I strongly recommend that you do so, unless you really hate
    to read that kind of magazine. In that case, go into your nearest Wal-Mart,
    select any inexpensive Nikon Coolpix model that you like the looks and feel
    of, buy it, take it home and READ THE MANUAL and you're all set.

    You could also talk to salespeople about the camera, but whether you do this
    in Wal-Mart or some fancy-schmancy camera store this is likely to be less
    useful than you probably expect.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jul 24, 2006
  12. The problem with any store from the consumer view is that they, remarkably,
    have the best possible camera. Sure, its a brand that nobody ever heard of,
    its all plastic, parts fall off as you handle it in the store. Three people
    return theirs while you are considering your purchase. So, ask the salesman
    what makes it the best and the answer might well be....we make a bigger
    profit from it. That is the same all over.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 24, 2006
  13. ....and look up a fellow named Preddy....he has great confidence in a camera
    that you are sure to appreciate.

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 24, 2006
  14. The thing is....at the beginning consumer level what does "best" mean? At
    the pro level we can discuss things like Canon for full frame or Hasselblad
    for largest file. We can discuss the special features desired for Landscape,
    portrait, or sports shooting. This guy isn't ready to make an intellegent
    choice....so just pick something and find out what you don't like.

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 24, 2006
  15. "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in message
    > The problem with any store from the consumer view is that they,
    > remarkably, have the best possible camera. Sure, its a brand that nobody
    > ever heard of, its all plastic, parts fall off as you handle it in the
    > store. Three people return theirs while you are considering your purchase.
    > So, ask the salesman what makes it the best and the answer might well
    > be....we make a bigger profit from it. That is the same all over.

    <chuckle>

    You're probably right.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jul 24, 2006
  16. fifthscn

    Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > I didn't know any of that when I bought my first camera about 40 years ago
    > and that I why I kept that camera only about a year. I learned enough to
    > know what I wanted for my second camera.

    I absolutely agree. Don't spend a lot of money on the first camera,
    because you aren't likely to want to keep it for very long.

    Bill

    , Jul 24, 2006
  17. fifthscn

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:00:40 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >The thing is....at the beginning consumer level what does "best" mean? At
    >the pro level we can discuss things like Canon for full frame or Hasselblad
    >for largest file. We can discuss the special features desired for Landscape,
    >portrait, or sports shooting. This guy isn't ready to make an intellegent
    >choice....so just pick something and find out what you don't like.

    "Largest file"?
    Do you mean most pixels?
    Does a large file indicate a good image?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Jul 24, 2006
  18. Well....I was going for brevity. Largest file size means, and I know of no
    exceptions, more MP. Download a file from one of these cameras and marvel!
    You can make out the hair on a models chin! I am not talking Rosanne Barr! I
    am talking cute chicks and you can make out every little hair! Of course you
    need good glass and a good tripod and all the other things that make a good
    image. But, all other things being equal, more MP means more resolution and
    that means more detail and that means a better photo....technically.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 24, 2006
  19. fifthscn

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:19:54 GMT, Gene Palmiter <> wrote:

    >Well....I was going for brevity. Largest file size means, and I know of no
    >exceptions, more MP. Download a file from one of these cameras and marvel!
    >You can make out the hair on a models chin! I am not talking Rosanne Barr! I
    >am talking cute chicks and you can make out every little hair! Of course you
    >need good glass and a good tripod and all the other things that make a good
    >image. But, all other things being equal, more MP means more resolution and
    >that means more detail and that means a better photo....technically.

    That would be true if there weren't any noise considerations.

    AZ Nomad, Jul 24, 2006
  20. Yes...that is part of the all things being equal otherwise. If you try to
    put 39 MP on an ASP sized sensor then the pixels are so close that they
    interfere with each other...hence noise. But, a bigger sensor means a
    cleaner image. At least that's the theory. I have not yet found an image
    from the H2d39 for download. I will keep looking.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jul 24, 2006