i just put togather a new comp but i have a boot falure

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by tj9422, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. tj9422

    tj9422 Guest

    I have video on the screen the comp satrs up but it falses to run what
    can i do to start up dos do i need to load it

    windows will not work till i actave it

    plz help if you can

    i can get in my bios but that is it

    do i need my hdd installed to run dos

    i all so have touble working with the lan to get on line to set up
    windows on my hdd to have it work
    i am use ing a old hdd from a dell comp and willl not let me start
    windows on the comp i put togather

    ==============

    tj9422, Sep 6, 2004

  2. tj9422

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| I have video on the screen the comp satrs up but it falses to run
    >| what
    >| can i do to start up dos do i need to load it
    >| windows will not work till i actave it

    True but you have 30 days after a CLEAN install. If you are using a HD from
    another computer that had XP already set up, you will need to activate
    immediately in order for it to run.

    >| i can get in my bios but that is it
    >|
    >| do i need my hdd installed to run dos

    Yes and no - DOS is "disk operating system" and as such doesn't run without
    being on a disk. A boot floppy has minimal DOS or Windows on it. So yes, you
    DO need a DISK, but no, you DON'T need the HDD.

    >| i all so have touble working with the lan to get on line to set up
    >| windows on my hdd to have it work

    You need a boot disk that goes into DOS and provides access to your LAN.
    Then, login to the location of the setup files.

    >| i am use ing a old hdd from a dell comp and willl not let me start
    >| windows on the comp i put togather

    Is Windows already on the hard drive? If so, what version? XP will usually
    not run if you've changed motherboard, sound, video, etc. Earlier versions
    are not quite as tricky, but often work best booting into safe mode and
    deleting the incorrect drivers, then reboot to let Windows install the
    correct ones.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004

  3. tj9422 wrote:

    > I have video on the screen the comp satrs up but it falses to run what
    > can i do to start up dos do i need to load it
    >
    > windows will not work till i actave it
    >

    > plz help if you can
    >

    > i can get in my bios but that is it
    >
    > do i need my hdd installed to run dos
    >
    > i all so have touble working with the lan to get on line to set up
    > windows on my hdd to have it work
    > i am use ing a old hdd from a dell comp and willl not let me start
    > windows on the comp i put togather

    Er.... what?

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 6, 2004
  4. tj9422

    °Mike° Guest

    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/capitals.htm
    http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/marks.htm
    http://www.davidappleyard.com/punctuation.htm
    http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/local/doc/punctuation/node02.html

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On 6 Sep 2004 17:09:31 -0400, in
    <413cd20b$>
    tj9422 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 6, 2004
  5. tj9422

    SgtMinor Guest

    Try this post again, this time in your native language.

    SgtMinor, Sep 6, 2004
  6. tj9422 wrote:

    <snip>

    >==============
    > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

    ^^^ Regarding this broken sig:

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly
    with some fine news client like Xnews slrn or pan or knode or
    others, rather than some clunky web interface, unless, say,
    you're at firewalled at work and IT hasn't favorably responded
    to your request for Usenet (NNTP) capability. Do *yourself* a
    favor: check out your options and take control of your own
    Usenet experience.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue