I just gotta ask..

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Shane, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Before I run through the install again, I thought I'd check with the group -

    I installed XP 64 with no problems, and set up an administrator password
    during the install (silly me). When I fired it up for the first boot after
    install, it asks me for the password, but I can't type it in. My keyboard
    does not work. After thinking that my MS Multimedia Keyboard may need a 64
    bit driver, I got a std keyboard out, and encountered the same thing. I
    thought I'd put that nifty USB adapter on and give it a go. No luck, chuck.

    Now the funny thing is that the keyboard works during startup - I can hit
    DEL to go to the BIOS, navigate through the BIOS, etc. Symptom: If I tap
    the NumLock key every half second to toggle the light while XP64 is booting
    up, there is a point that the light stops toggling.

    One last thing - the mouse works, and the menu responds if I try to click
    the pseudo-submit button by suggesting that I forgot to enter a password.

    Hardware:
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 nVIDIA nFORCE4
    Video: LEADTEK GF6600 256MB PCI EXPRESS
    Most everything else (sound, Gig-E, USB, 1394) is on board the MB, but if
    you really think something is relevant, let me know.

    Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Are you able to restart in safe mode and change the password then log back
    into Windows normally?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005

  3. Shane

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    I am running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition with a MS Natural
    Multimedia Keyboard with no problems.

    Have you checked the obvious and made sure the keyboard works with
    another computer?

    Your keyboard will operate under x64 without any special drivers.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Shane

    Shane Guest

    I tried, but the keyboard wouldn't respond to allow me to press F8 to get
    the menu up to choose safe mode. :-(

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    I have tried, and both keyboards in question work fine on another computer,
    and even this one before XP starts loading.

    Thanks for the info too - at least I know it's not the keyboard.

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Because you are able to press the DEL key just before entering Windows,
    which suggest its probably a bad port.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005
  7. Shane

    Shane Guest

    I would go along with that if it didn't happen on every USB port as well as
    the PS2 port.

    Is there a chance that I chose some wierd keyboard setting (like DVORAC, or
    Chinese character keyboard) and once XP loads up, it doesn't recognize the
    thing?

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 17, 2005
  8. Wow! That's a weird one. Before you panic though, check your BIOS again.
    Some has settings regrding PS2's. The fact that it works at first and not
    later may have to do with Windows not using BIOS functions for hardware
    access.

    I am assuming, here, that this is a new machine and you didn't have any kind
    of windows running before?

    No, close read that BIOS, and good luck.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperlling, Jul 17, 2005
  9. Shane

    Shane Guest

    "Tony Sperlling" wrote
    > Wow! That's a weird one. Before you panic though, check your BIOS again.
    > Some has settings regrding PS2's.

    Sounds like a good plan. I checked the BIOS about 10 times, but at 3AM.
    hehe. I don't remember any PS2 setting, but that may just mean it's there
    and I missed it ;-) I'll check it out when I get home at midnight PST. No
    matter what, I'll let you all know how I fix it.

    > I am assuming, here, that this is a new machine

    Yep, new machine, blacklight, UV reactive cables, and all. Almost makes me
    cry to see it not working just at the point of login. But who am I
    kidding.. the problems are part of the fun :)

    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take as many as I can get!

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 17, 2005
  10. Shane

    Mercury Guest

    Yip, and check for bios updares.

    Mercury, Jul 17, 2005
  11. Shane

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Shane:

    I had the same problem one time with x86. The cause was a
    corrupt keyboard driver file. The cure was a format and reinstall. That
    machine hasn't had any other in over 2 years.

    Dennis Pack, Jul 17, 2005
  12. Better to make an early sacrifice from now and format.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005
  13. Shane

    Shane Guest

    > "Dennis Pack" wrote in message
    >> Shane:
    >>
    >> I had the same problem one time with x86. The cause was a
    >> corrupt keyboard driver file. The cure was a format and reinstall. That
    >> machine hasn't had any other in over 2 years.

    That's encouraging, since it only takes like an hour to do with this
    machine. I will probably just nuke the drive and reinstall as you say, but
    here's an update to chew on for the analytical types (like me) who just love
    a problem to fix..

    I was in fact able to get to safe mode via F8. My problem before was that
    the MS Multimedia keyboard was taking over the "F" keys. I had to toggle
    the F keys and hit F8 and was able to get in.

    Once in safe mode, I cleared the password for admin so I could just click on
    the Administrator login to get in. Once in, the KB still does not work. So
    I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. It gave me a message that says
    "Windows installed hardware that may not work the next time you reboot." To
    my surprise, it worked! - Until the next reboot, that is. I have to hand it
    to XP for being right.

    Anyway, if you go look at the keyboard in device mangler, it says it is not
    working properly, and gives an error code 10. "This device cannot start
    (code 10)".

    So if any curious georges out there want me to try anything else before I
    format and reninstall, let me know before midnight PST (I work until then).
    So far I'm just going to update the bios and the audio drivers and see what
    happens.

    Shane, Jul 18, 2005
  14. You tried another key board, right? If that works, its possible some
    incompatibility with the MS Multimedia keyboard.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005
  15. It just so happens that a vaguely similar known error is reported in the KB.
    A workar round - if you are using USB connection would be to dissable PS/2
    support on the motherboard. Actually, I suspect that was what the BIOS
    setting was for that I mentioned some BIOS'es having.

    If this is the sort of problem you are having, know that re-installing will
    not help you. You can read further here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258797

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperlling, Jul 18, 2005
  16. Shane, have you tried connecting it the PS/2 port with your computer off,
    and unplugged (that way the current is off.) Then when you reboot, to get
    to the function keys with this keyboard, you have to always turn the
    Function Keys to Normal (they default to the extended mode functions every
    time you reboot.) Now when you go into Windows, it should see the keyboard
    and work ok. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jul 18, 2005
  17. Shane

    Shane Guest

    > You tried another key board, right? If that works, its possible some
    > incompatibility with the MS Multimedia keyboard.

    I tried a standard (not even ergonomic!) keyboard and it displayed similar
    behavior. :-(

    Shane, Jul 18, 2005
  18. Shane

    Shane Guest

    "Tony Sperlling" wrote
    > It just so happens that a vaguely similar known error is reported in the
    > KB. A workar round - if you are using USB connection would be to dissable
    > PS/2 support on the motherboard. Actually, I suspect that was what the
    > BIOS setting was for that I mentioned some BIOS'es having.
    >
    > If this is the sort of problem you are having, know that re-installing
    > will not help you. You can read further here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258797

    Thanks for the article :) Maybe there is something to that. I'll check
    the resources that the keyboard is using, and see if it happens to be using
    the resources specified in the article. I can say, however, that no
    conflicts were listed.

    As for the BIOS, there is no PS/2 setting in the BIOS at all. I will be
    installing an update tonight (your earlier suggestion) and see if that
    changes things.

    I did try using my USB dongle/adapter instead of the PS/2 port, but the
    effect lingers.

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 18, 2005
  19. That keyboard is just cursed.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005
  20. Shane

    Shane Guest

    "Wayne Wastier" wrote
    > Shane, have you tried connecting it the PS/2 port with your computer off,
    > and unplugged (that way the current is off.) Then when you reboot, to get
    > to the function keys with this keyboard, you have to always turn the
    > Function Keys to Normal (they default to the extended mode functions every
    > time you reboot.) Now when you go into Windows, it should see the
    > keyboard and work ok. :)

    I'm not sure if I understand your suggestion, but I think I do. I'll tell
    you what I did and see if that covers it.

    I tried shutting the computer down (power off) and unplugging the keyboard
    and plugging it back in and powering on. Then toggle the F keys to normal
    (not extended) mode ASAP before bootup and make sure it stays that way while
    booting up. That didn't work. In fact, I even swapped keyboards to a
    standard keyboard to avoid the extended KB stuff all together.

    Shane

    Shane, Jul 18, 2005