I just found rundll2.exe on my machine, should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by mattyparanoid, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. Just got back from dinner to discover that Norton AntiVirus had a
    message up on my screen. It said that an email I was trying to send
    had timed out and I should reopen my email client to resend it.

    Funny thing is that the email title was "Perfect KeyLogger Report:
    9/9/2003 16:09" and it was trying to be sent to a hotmail address.

    I have not installed Perfect Keylogger to my knowledge unless it was
    surrepticiously installed with another program. I do not know the
    persons email address that the report was going to and I cannot find
    any record of sent emails to that address in my Outlook Express.

    I did a scan with some software and found the file "rundll2.exe" as
    suspect with this spyware scanner software. I don't know what this
    file is, I don't know why someone would be spying on me.

    I am worried and unsure why this is happening. Can someone offer some
    light on the subject? I am beginning to feel like my nickname
    implies...

    matty

    mattyparanoid, Sep 9, 2003

  2. mattyparanoid

    splatter Guest

    "mattyparanoid" <> wrote in message
    > Just got back from dinner to discover that Norton AntiVirus had a
    > message up on my screen. It said that an email I was trying to send
    > had timed out and I should reopen my email client to resend it.
    >
    > Funny thing is that the email title was "Perfect KeyLogger Report:
    > 9/9/2003 16:09" and it was trying to be sent to a hotmail address.
    >
    > I have not installed Perfect Keylogger to my knowledge unless it was
    > surrepticiously installed with another program. I do not know the
    > persons email address that the report was going to and I cannot find
    > any record of sent emails to that address in my Outlook Express.
    >
    > I did a scan with some software and found the file "rundll2.exe" as
    > suspect with this spyware scanner software. I don't know what this
    > file is, I don't know why someone would be spying on me.
    >
    > I am worried and unsure why this is happening. Can someone offer some
    > light on the subject? I am beginning to feel like my nickname
    > implies...
    >
    > matty

    You should. Someone is spying on you.

    http://www.blazingtools.com/bpk.html