I just bought a Nikon D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
    Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

    by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

    --
    Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
     
    Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com, Mar 22, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Diane Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    > discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
    > Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    > recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?


    No confirmed word yet on whether the rebate indicates a model change,
    price reduction, or just a promotion.

    In any case, it's an excellent camera, and any replacement is likely
    to be a fairly small incremental change. (Surprises are possible, of
    course.) Even if a replacement were announced tomorrow, it would likely
    be several months before it became available.

    Diane
     
    Diane Wilson, Mar 22, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 GMT, "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com"
    <> wrote:

    >I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera.


    Has it arrived yet?

    >I heard that Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true?


    Eventually, everything gets discontinued. Is this a problem for you?

    >If so what does everyone recommend?


    Who cares, you bought it already.

    >Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    >recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?


    Bit late to be asking that isn't it?

    >by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    >store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.


    A quick google groups search of 'Berger Bros' shows them to be a less
    than reputable company to be dealing with.

    Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
     
    Owamanga, Mar 22, 2005
    #3
  4. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that
    > Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does
    > everyone recommend? Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price
    > on this item..but would you recommend getting a different camera or
    > this camera a perfect fit?
    >
    > by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their
    > ebay store. and I just called them up and bought it from their
    > store via phone.
    >


    Of everything I've read, the D70 is a great camera - one of the best
    DSLRs out there, rating-wise.

    I have not heard/read that Nikon is going to discontinue it, tho.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
     
    Eric Babula, Mar 22, 2005
    #4
  5. The D70 got a DIWA "Gold" award this month, and was awarded "2004 Best
    Consumer Digital SLR Camera" from TIPA (Technical Image Press Association,
    whoever they are). It's a CNET Editor's Choice camera (8.6 rating out of
    10).

    I think it's probably a good camera.

    --
    Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
     
    Lar via PhotoKB.com, Mar 22, 2005
    #5
  6. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    carrigman Guest

    So what if it's discontinued (and in all probability it will be soon)?

    It is an excellent camera.

    You bought it to take photos and not as an investment.

    If in the highly unlikely event you eventually find some major drawback in
    it that prevents you getting the photos you want then by all means change.

    Don't get hung up about the latest model; just take pictures.

    Carrigman
     
    carrigman, Mar 22, 2005
    #6
  7. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Pete D Guest

    Pity so many useless dickheads like this troll buy them.

    "Lar via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The D70 got a DIWA "Gold" award this month, and was awarded "2004 Best
    > Consumer Digital SLR Camera" from TIPA (Technical Image Press Association,
    > whoever they are). It's a CNET Editor's Choice camera (8.6 rating out of
    > 10).
    >
    > I think it's probably a good camera.
    >
    > --
    > Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
     
    Pete D, Mar 22, 2005
    #7
  8. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:17:26 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >Pity so many useless dickheads like this troll buy them.


    Why? It reduces the price for everyone else. Economy of scale.

    That's why junk mail doesn't bother me - it's paying for the postman
    to come to my door every day.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
     
    Owamanga, Mar 22, 2005
    #8
  9. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:38:07 GMT, Owamanga
    <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 GMT, "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera.

    >
    >Has it arrived yet?
    >
    >>I heard that Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true?

    >
    >Eventually, everything gets discontinued. Is this a problem for you?
    >
    >>If so what does everyone recommend?

    >
    >Who cares, you bought it already.
    >
    >>Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    >>recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

    >
    >Bit late to be asking that isn't it?
    >
    >>by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    >>store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

    >
    >A quick google groups search of 'Berger Bros' shows them to be a less
    >than reputable company to be dealing with.
    >
    >Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.



    They are clear with the BBB and 7.5 isn't bad for the camera trade. On
    the other hand, CALL FOR PRICE is not a good sign.
     
    Oliver Costich, Mar 22, 2005
    #9
  10. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Owamanga Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:17:49 -0500, Oliver Costich
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:38:07 GMT, Owamanga
    ><owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.

    >
    >They are clear with the BBB and 7.5 isn't bad for the camera trade. On
    >the other hand, CALL FOR PRICE is not a good sign.


    6 votes is bad though, considering the 3 positive ones came from the
    shop staff.

    (probably)

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
     
    Owamanga, Mar 22, 2005
    #10
  11. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    [BnH] Guest

    Very soon.

    I can't tell you what Nikon has in the warehouse ... but it will break your
    heart :)

    =bob=


    "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    > discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone
    > recommend?
    > Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    > recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?
    >
    > by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    > store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via
    > phone.
    >
    > --
    > Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
     
    [BnH], Mar 22, 2005
    #11
  12. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Sheldon Guest

    "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    > discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone
    > recommend?
    > Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    > recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?
    >
    > by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    > store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via
    > phone.
    >


    It's a great camera. Everybody was waiting for an upgrade to be announced
    at the show but it didn't happen, so we all wait in anticipation.
    Meanwhile, a lot of people, like myself, bought a D70, got the rebate (still
    waiting for mine) and are enjoying the heck out of the camera. The only
    thing that would make me trade it in would be an inexpensive Nikon dslr that
    meters with the older AI lenses. Otherwise, it's hard to find anybody who's
    not happy with their D70. Pretty much five stars all around when you look
    at user comments.
     
    Sheldon, Mar 23, 2005
    #12
  13. "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 GMT, "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera.

    >
    > Has it arrived yet?
    >
    >>I heard that Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true?

    >
    > Eventually, everything gets discontinued. Is this a problem for you?
    >
    >>If so what does everyone recommend?

    >
    > Who cares, you bought it already.
    >
    >>Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    >>recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

    >
    > Bit late to be asking that isn't it?
    >
    >>by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    >>store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via
    >>phone.

    >
    > A quick google groups search of 'Berger Bros' shows them to be a less
    > than reputable company to be dealing with.
    >
    > Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.
    >
    > --
    > Owamanga!
    > http://www.pbase.com/owamanga


    Berger Bros is a Long Island shop and around here they've been known as
    reputable. For my money, I shop right up the block at Cameta Camera.
     
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Mar 23, 2005
    #13
  14. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    > discontinuing this item.


    Without a source no one has any idea how reliable such a rumor is. My guess
    is that the D70 will not be replaced for at least a year. The D100 is well
    overdue for replacement, being much older than the D70, and Nikon has not
    even hinted at when that camera will be replaced. Heck, the D2H is even
    longer in the tooth than that -- the D2Hs is more like a minor version fix
    than it is a replacement. Sort of the D2H ver. 1.01.

    No matter. If the D70 is discontinued tomorrow, is your camera any less of a
    camera than it was today?
     
    C J Campbell, Mar 23, 2005
    #14
  15. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Pete D Guest

    "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:17:26 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Pity so many useless dickheads like this troll buy them.

    >
    > Why? It reduces the price for everyone else. Economy of scale.
    >
    > That's why junk mail doesn't bother me - it's paying for the postman
    > to come to my door every day.
    >


    HAHA. in this country the postman does not deliver the junk mail, speedy
    idiots on small motorbikes do.
     
    Pete D, Mar 23, 2005
    #15
  16. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Boch Guest

    This is not the days of the K-1000..Sure it will be replaced...So what?
    Believe it or not--most of us...wait until the shine wears of....then we
    buy...

    --
    _________________-
    BOCH
    ________________
    A+TECH
    _________
    "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    > discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone
    > recommend?
    > Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    > recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?
    >
    > by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    > store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via
    > phone.
    >
    > --
    > Message posted via http://www.photokb.com
     
    Boch, Mar 23, 2005
    #16
  17. On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 +0000, Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com wrote:

    > I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    > discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
    > Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    > recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?
    >
    > by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    > store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.


    The rate of development of new digital photo technology makes a
    digital camera outdated in a few months.

    I own several digital cameras and the D-70 was the next step, its a great
    camera and I suspect it will be my main digital camera for several years
    to come up until until the price point on a >12 Mega pixel Nikon SLR
    comes into my price range.


    --
    Korbin Dallas
    The name was changed to protect the guilty.
     
    Korbin Dallas, Mar 23, 2005
    #17
  18. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Korbin Dallas wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 +0000, Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    >>discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
    >>Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    >>recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?
    >>
    >>by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    >>store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

    >
    >
    > The rate of development of new digital photo technology makes a
    > digital camera outdated in a few months.
    >
    > I own several digital cameras and the D-70 was the next step, its a great
    > camera and I suspect it will be my main digital camera for several years
    > to come up until until the price point on a >12 Mega pixel Nikon SLR
    > comes into my price range.
    >
    >


    I'm in the same boat as you. It's just a shame that I had to make the costly
    mistake of buying a high end ($ wise) point-and-shoot less than 18 months before
    I bought my D70.

    Ben
     
    Ben Thomas, Mar 23, 2005
    #18
  19. On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:30:03 GMT, Ben Thomas <>
    wrote:

    >Korbin Dallas wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 +0000, Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
    >>>discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
    >>>Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
    >>>recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?
    >>>
    >>>by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
    >>>store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

    >>
    >>
    >> The rate of development of new digital photo technology makes a
    >> digital camera outdated in a few months.
    >>
    >> I own several digital cameras and the D-70 was the next step, its a great
    >> camera and I suspect it will be my main digital camera for several years
    >> to come up until until the price point on a >12 Mega pixel Nikon SLR
    >> comes into my price range.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I'm in the same boat as you. It's just a shame that I had to make the costly
    >mistake of buying a high end ($ wise) point-and-shoot less than 18 months before
    >I bought my D70.
    >
    >Ben



    Do what I did. Give it to your wife or girlfriend:)
     
    Oliver Costich, Mar 23, 2005
    #19
  20. Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

    Ben Thomas Guest

    Oliver Costich wrote:

    > Do what I did. Give it to your wife or girlfriend:)


    I get to take the older one with me everyday if I want, and she can have the D70
    to take better photos of our kids. That was the main reason for the DSLR actually.
     
    Ben Thomas, Mar 24, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. oGhr

    Just bought a dvd burner and...

    oGhr, Sep 2, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    476
    insidetheout
    Sep 3, 2003
  2. fred

    How to back up my 3 pc games just bought?

    fred, Feb 9, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    847
    Mr Floppy
    Feb 9, 2005
  3. RacerX

    Just bought a Digital Rebel just 1 question

    RacerX, Nov 20, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    437
    LLutton
    Nov 21, 2003
  4. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    944
    Joseph Miller
    Jun 7, 2005
  5. Jordon
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    404
    Jordon
    Dec 23, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page