I hope with all the brain power here there will be a solution!

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Laura, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Laura

    Laura Guest

    In our organization we have a fixed office with maybe 200
    computers attached and a member server that's open year
    round.

    At the national level we have a Windows 2000 domain
    running in mixed mode.

    Frequently throughout the year we are required to take an
    empty office space (sometimes an old, empty grocery
    store), wire it for voice and data, install a member
    server, switch, networked printers, etc, and have the
    system up and running within 2 days.

    Then we have 50 to 500 employees descend on us to work
    (the average would be 200 people or so). They'll work for
    2 - 3 months in this office space and then go home for
    several months and we take everything down, pack it up and
    go home.

    Here is my problem/question. The bottleneck is adding the
    users to the member server (using domain authentication),
    adding the users to groups, and the worst - creating home
    directories for each individual employee and assigning
    their rights.

    What is the most effective way to add and administer
    200 "new" people on a member server (we aren't using
    Active Directory) and doing it in a very SHORT timeframe
    (2 - 3 days from the date the office opens)?

    Thanks in advance!
    Laura

    Laura, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Laura

    MCSE World Guest

    Scripting is your solution. Maybe even a really neat one that pulls the
    pertinent details out of a pre-formatted text file.

    Best,
    Will
    www.mcseworld.com

    MCSE World, Dec 5, 2003

  3. Each semester, utilizing Microsoft's adduser program, we create about 3,500
    user accounts with their own home directories in about 3 minutes. One clue.
    Put the home directories in their own separate partition so you don't have
    to gain ownership of the folders in order to delete them. We get rid of
    them at the end of the semester by formatting that partition. The text file
    we parse is from our Admissions and record department. We are provided with
    student names, their student ID number, and the classes they are taking. We
    create the username based on a combination of their last name and student
    ID.

    Hope this helps.

    Steve

    Steve Linthicum, Dec 5, 2003
  4. Laura

    David Guest

    I work at a college with around 8000 active students & a few hundred staff.
    I designed a system to completely automate creating accounts for student
    users. I run a query against a database server containing student records
    and use this information to set up accounts for students automatically.
    Originally I implemented this as a VB Script, but have since designed a
    newer and more elegant system with VB.NET. This system creates accounts
    automatically as students enrol & disables their accounts automatically when
    their course finishes or they drop out. (If they sign up on a new course
    their account is enabled again automatically) - The results of these
    operations are dumped back into another database so I can check that the
    program in functioning correctly.
    Coding NTFS permissions however is quite difficult, but can be accomplished
    by using other techniques. Using folder redirection and some wizardry with
    the permissions on the root folder, you can have user areas generated
    automatically. (The wizardry is necessary so that Admin users can have
    access to the users folder also for support purposes)
    A program from the support kit called CACLS or XCACLS can be used to set
    permissions on folders also. The easiest way to script permissions is to
    use this program from a VB Script.
    Also - Excel is a great tool for importing users / scripting.

    Scripting will take some time to learn but it will definitely pay off in the
    long run.

    David, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Laura

    Alco Guest

    What David is saying is the way I do it to. Excel to build my comman
    lines for the setup. Then I make some batch file from excel to ru
    them.

    For example in excel :
    Kulumn A Kulumn B Kolumn C Kolumn D Kolumn E
    net share Alco $=f:\users\ Alco /unlimited

    Then you take them in to one formula like this:
    =(Sheet4!A1&Sheet4!B1&Sheet4!C1&Sheet4!D1&Sheet4!E1)

    What you have done now is to create one kolumn/cell
    with the following:

    net share Alco$=f:\users\Alco /unlimited
    Save this one to a text file and make a batch file from this
    and you are ready to go.

    I have several scripts that I do this way to create home directory t
    set permissions and to share.

    cacls \\server\f$\users\Alco /E /G "Domain\Alco:c" /
    >>\\server\f$\log\outputlogCACLS_server.txt

    I thought I would give you some excampels :)

    Brg Alc

    Alc

    Alco, Jan 13, 2004