    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Well when trying to fix my own computer I managed to royally fudge up 2 computers for the price of one when trying to use my dads comp to help my situation. Oh, I also managed to ruin his original xp pro cd so I'm having kind of a bad run because god hates me or something. Anyways, I've been hard at it trying to recover data and repair both comps so hopefully I will be back in full swing in a couple days. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005

  2. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks for the heads up :) Hope you get your stuff fixed soon.
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005

  3. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    hey that sucks.... u need to go to god and ask him nicely so stop picking on u, and if he keeps doing it go to the police...
    unholy, Sep 23, 2005
  4. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I think I'm gonna have to, he just doesn't give up!!!
    My computer is at a semi-useable state hence why I am on here but I am still doing data recovery on dads which also holds my backup which I need, it's really keeping me busy :(
    PS, dad is NOT happy because no one in my family backs up and I'm having trouble finding his emails :?
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  5. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    if they were really important then he should have them backed up. So you've got two rooted computers, and one of them has the image/backup of your computer? Damn... how queer.
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  6. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Here is a slighty longer explanation, believe me ya dont want the full one ;)
    I need to backup my main files (about 30GB) because windows activation was giving me grief and only gave me 7 days to activate just randomly out of the blue even though my comp WAS activated. It kept saying it was activated but the warning message didn't stop and it got to day one so I couldn't leave it any longer so thats what started this ;)
    I hooked up my HDD to my dads comp to backup the gear, got through that okay then needed to reinstall windows on mine. My cd was scratched and wouldn't work on its own, I had to use dads for a couple of the files, whilst using his disk my burner scratched the hell outta it and ruined it.
    I go to use his comp which shouldn't have changed cos the hard drive was not connected but now windows doesn't want to boot. I want to do a repair install which I have done many times before but instead it does a new full install :? and erases the table that lists all previous files. Also had trouble installing with 2 botched disks.
    Got another windows running on his comp but doesn't show ANY previous data, windows wrote over whatever was under it and I have to use data recovery prog to get back what I can (which is what I am doing now).
    So it has his emails, his files, other peoples files, and my backup on it and some of them have been overbloodywritting because ghey windows didn't do a repair install and just did a full install why it did this is beyond me. Anyways... it sucks :(
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  7. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    yeah... its times like these you wish you were a linux user... lol
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  8. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Hell no, I wouldn't be able to use half the progs/games I have
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  9. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    thats true... but i bet you the programs you could use wouldnt be gone right now :p
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  10. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Low blow buddy.... low blow :(
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  11. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    :p
    Recovered anything important yet? I suppose you'll enjoy an entertaining friday of fixing broken stuff huh :(
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  12. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I've got all my sisters data that she needed for work and stuff, as far as she can tell. Mum had like nothing on there, got everything of dads from what I can tell except the damn emails :(
    I'm about to ring our ISP to see if we can get the last 3 months worth of emails resent out otherwise I'm a dead man....
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  13. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    are your parentscomputer savvy? if not, make up some bull**** excuse for why it happened, like "The earths magnetic field has changed slightly due to irregualr lunar activity, and so the HDDs and cd drives are rooted now" :p
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  14. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    They saw the comps the other night wired up together, I come up with a story like that and they aint gonna buy it, they'd know it was me.
    That's why I've already told them anyway, it's done now so the best thing I can do is to find out from them what is most important and do my best to recover it. So far that's going well (copying then burning copying then buring copying then.....) all except for the emails, that's the ONE major hickup.
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  15. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    would your ISP actually be able to resend the emails?
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  16. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i blamed my sister for all the virus when i had to share a computer with her... god dam she got in so much shit! :D
    we had a removable HDD (which was mine) it was IDE so it wasn't removeable, though i still pulled it out of the computer when she went to go use it.
    unholy, Sep 23, 2005
  17. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I rang both of them and it turns out they can't :( If you use outlook instead of webmail and you leave default settings then as soon as you download the email it's gone from the ISP server. If he was using webmail it wouldn't be a problem :? And now he also wants sent items and address book so I am royally screwed on this one.....
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  18. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Damn.... So after you found out you couldn't get whathe wants, he wants more stuff. That's gotta suck so bad. How long have you been trying to get it back to normal? from when you started reinstalling stuff or whatever, how long you been at it?
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005
  19. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I was backing up and doing stuff wednesday night, find out thursday morning that their drive doesn't want to boot. Spent a lot of time recovering what I could yesterday and today and got the comp on the net last night atleast but I can't install any progs. If I do it will overwrite whatever data is under it and make the recovery process even harder so dad was on the net doing his online shares and stuff with no virus protection but he wouldn't listen to me.
    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 23, 2005
  20. RObErT_RaTh

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    and I bet when his computer is full of viruses, it'll be all your fault :p
    XhArD, Sep 23, 2005