    than a week and we're both at the ends of our respective ropes. :-?

    Thanks.

    Dave

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 19, 2008

  2. Can you ping a public ip like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? Or
    this step by step troubleshooting may help.

    How to troubleshoot internet access issuesNone of the networking computers
    can access the Internet. ... Related Topics. Can’t access the Internet via
    USB after enabling NIC for network ...
    www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/internetaccess0.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    "Dave in Des Moines" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 19, 2008

  3. Thanks for your reply, Robert.

    Pinging 4.2.2.1 gives me an "IE cannot display" page, then asks me if I want
    to connect or stay offline..

    Rolling over the little Dynex card antenna icon in the system tray shows
    that I'm conected to my network and describes the signal strenght as "good."
    It also shows me as "connected."

    However, there's also a little computer icon in the tray that shows me with
    "very good" signal strength, but shows a status of "limited or no
    connectivity." Isn't this contradictory? When I try to repair the connection
    using the link under the Support tab, I get a message saying it could not
    disable the wirless network adapter.

    Doesn't the two connection icons seem odd?

    I've uninstalled (software through "Add/Remove Programs", and physically
    removed) and reinstalled the card several times with no success.

    I've tried tech support at Dynex, but they routed me off to Geek Squad, who
    generously offered to fix the problem over the phone for a mere $99 plus tax.

    Any thoughts?

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 19, 2008
  4. Hi
    Unfortunately Network Magic creates in part its own type of settings so it
    is hard to provide a focused answer.
    This pages might help in evaluating the status of the Wireless components
    and may be find the wrong setting.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 19, 2008
  5. Dave in Des Moines

    Jim Guest

    "Dave in Des Moines" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Thanks for your reply, Robert.
    >
    > Pinging 4.2.2.1 gives me an "IE cannot display" page, then asks me if I
    > want
    > to connect or stay offline..
    >
    > Rolling over the little Dynex card antenna icon in the system tray shows
    > that I'm conected to my network and describes the signal strenght as
    > "good."
    > It also shows me as "connected."
    >
    > However, there's also a little computer icon in the tray that shows me
    > with
    > "very good" signal strength, but shows a status of "limited or no
    > connectivity." Isn't this contradictory? When I try to repair the
    > connection
    > using the link under the Support tab, I get a message saying it could not
    > disable the wirless network adapter.

    The signal strength as "good" means that the hardware is working.
    The "no connectivity" means that the software is not.

    > Doesn't the two connection icons seem odd?

    No
    You won't have reliable connectivity if the signal strength is weak. But,
    you can also have
    no connectivity if there is software problem somewhere.

    > I've uninstalled (software through "Add/Remove Programs", and physically
    > removed) and reinstalled the card several times with no success.

    I would not expect success if you made no changes to the software settings.

    > I've tried tech support at Dynex, but they routed me off to Geek Squad,
    > who
    > generously offered to fix the problem over the phone for a mere $99 plus
    > tax.

    Haven't we heard this type of story many times in the past?
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 19, 2008
  6. I think your NIC doesn't talk to the router. Posting back with the result of
    ipconfig /all may help.

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 19, 2008
  7. I ran ipconfig / all, but it opens a DOS shell, runs, and closes so quickly,
    I can't read it or copy it to paste.

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 20, 2008
  8. Thanks, Jack. I've completely uninstalled NetworkMagic thinking that might be
    part or all of the problem, but it makes no difference whether it's installed
    or not.

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 20, 2008
  9. Dave in Des Moines

    Barb Bowman Guest

    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 20, 2008
  10. Thanks, Barb!

    Here's the ipconfig /all text:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COLBY
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-5F-72-D0

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 20, 2008
  11. Dave in Des Moines

    Jim Guest

    "Dave in Des Moines" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Thanks, Barb!
    >
    > Here's the ipconfig /all text:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>ipconfig /all
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COLBY
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:
    >
    > Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
    > Adapter
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-5F-72-D0
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner>
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-output/
    >>
    >> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:27:01 -0800, Dave in Des Moines
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I ran ipconfig / all, but it opens a DOS shell, runs, and closes so
    >> >quickly,
    >> >I can't read it or copy it to paste.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Is ethernet all you have? As the report shows, the NIC is not connected to
    anything.
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 20, 2008
  12. Yes, the only connection is through the wireless router. What is NIC and how
    do I fix it?

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 20, 2008
  13. Dave in Des Moines

    Barb Bowman Guest

    First, right click My Computer, then Manage and look in Device
    Manager at the Network Adapters. Is this add on wireless adapter
    showing? If yes, right click and select enable. (which may or may
    not make a difference).

    did you install drivers for this card?

    I don't know anything about what software Dynex might install (and
    Dynex is not one of the top tier known brands).

    You also mentioned Network Magic which does not come with Windows.

    I'd recommend uninstall the Dynex software except for the driver and
    let Windows manage your network. And I'd uninstall Network Magic as
    well.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 20, 2008
  14. Thnaks, Barb. The wireless card was disabled, so I enabled it, but still no
    luck. I uninstalled the Dynex software and reinstalled only the driver. No
    luck. Here's my latest ipconfig /all text:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COLBY
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-5F-72-D0

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 12:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dynex G Desktop Card #5
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-DF-0D-0E-A5

    C:\Documents and Settings\Dad>

    I uninstalled Network Magic a couple of days ago, trying to eliminate that
    as the problem.

    Windows can see the wirelss router, and it shows very good signal strength,
    but it refuses to connect. I tried the "repair this connection" button and it
    failed at assigning an IP address.

    One curious thing: I have a 10-character key that I must enter to access my
    network, and I have to enter that and confirm it when trying to connect, but
    when I come back later, it's showing only 8 blank "characters" to represent
    the 10-character Key...

    Dave

    Dave in Des Moines, Jan 23, 2008
  15. Dave in Des Moines

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Ok, first Windows "masks" everything you enter in that field and
    displays 8 characters.

    Second, I suggest that you log into the network and change from WEP
    to at least WPA (but preferably WPA2). WEP is not safe at all.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en
    is the download to enable WPA2 on XP

    --

    Barb Bowman