I have joined the dark side :)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp
    formerly used by Debian.
    Dead easy to install. No screwing round with videocard dark arts and sound
    card whatsits ($deity Im going to miss the good old days) Even the printer
    was dead easy to setup (Just add printer wizard reminiscent of a
    proprietory branded OS's wizards) Couple of things I wasnt happy with
    Dagnabbit sudo, sudo is one of my pet hates, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu loves it
    :\ .mp3's didnt play straight off the bat (had to add two packages)
    But one thing.. I have a scrolling mouse again :)
    Didnt miss it, but suddenly its handy to have again)
    Adept is pretty straightforward gui for apt, runs with sudo priviledges.
    One weird thing though.. no Firefox in the default install
    Installing it was easy enough, but I would have thought... oh well

    I found the nz. mirrors were giving me bad headers, so I made it say
    ceety, and feesh and cheeps instead
    (changed the mirrors to au. )
    Ive had kde 3.4 on this box before (courtesy FreeBSD) and this time Ive
    just installed it in time for the release of 3.5 :\
    And.. I have finally gone to a 2.6 kernel

    I am _definitely_ considering dropping my Slackware partition in favour of
    Kubuntu. (Hence the subject line)

    Oh and ... perl comes compiled with ithread support, which is good as I
    had to recompile slackwares perl

    Jobs for today include sorting out a media player that will play wmvs
    (Which should take around 15 minutes)
    and assorted migration (am planning on copying my .pan folder from
    slackware/home/user/.pan to appropriate kubuntu directory

    :)

    Shane, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:29:21 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > and assorted migration (am planning on copying my .pan folder from
    > slackware/home/user/.pan to appropriate kubuntu directory

    Well _that_ was easy
    as root
    cp -R /media/hda3/shane/.pan/* /home/shane/.pan
    cd /home/shane/.pan
    chown -R shane.shane *

    exit
    migration complete

    Shane, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Shane

    brianM Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:29:21 +1000, Shane wrote:

    > Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp
    > formerly used by Debian.
    > Dead easy to install. No screwing round with videocard dark arts and
    > sound card whatsits ($deity Im going to miss the good old days) Even the
    > printer was dead easy to setup (Just add printer wizard reminiscent of a
    > proprietory branded OS's wizards) Couple of things I wasnt happy with
    > Dagnabbit sudo, sudo is one of my pet hates, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu loves it
    > :\ .mp3's didnt play straight off the bat (had to add two packages)
    > But one thing.. I have a scrolling mouse again :) Didnt miss it, but
    > suddenly its handy to have again) Adept is pretty straightforward gui
    > for apt, runs with sudo priviledges. One weird thing though.. no Firefox
    > in the default install Installing it was easy enough, but I would have
    > thought... oh well
    >

    > I found the nz. mirrors were giving me bad headers, so I made it say
    > ceety, and feesh and cheeps instead
    > (changed the mirrors to au. )
    > Ive had kde 3.4 on this box before (courtesy FreeBSD) and this time Ive
    > just installed it in time for the release of 3.5 :\ And.. I have finally
    > gone to a 2.6 kernel
    >
    > I am _definitely_ considering dropping my Slackware partition in favour
    > of Kubuntu. (Hence the subject line)
    >
    > Oh and ... perl comes compiled with ithread support, which is good as I
    > had to recompile slackwares perl
    >
    > Jobs for today include sorting out a media player that will play wmvs
    > (Which should take around 15 minutes) and assorted migration (am
    > planning on copying my .pan folder from slackware/home/user/.pan to
    > appropriate kubuntu directory
    >
    > :)

    heretic - couldn't you have just moved slightly into the
    shade with VectorLinux?

    :=(

    BrianM

    brianM, Nov 30, 2005
  4. Shane

    steve Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Jobs for today include sorting out a media player that will play wmvs
    > (Which should take around 15 minutes)

    NoAtun with the "win32codecs" package installed.

    Plays WMVs just fine.

    steve, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Shane

    steve Guest

    brianM wrote:

    > heretic - couldn't you have just moved slightly into the
    > shade with VectorLinux?

    Xandros and Vector - both fine, Canadian distros. :)

    steve, Nov 30, 2005
  6. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:22:50 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Jobs for today include sorting out a media player that will play wmvs
    >> (Which should take around 15 minutes)

    > NoAtun with the "win32codecs" package installed.
    >
    > Plays WMVs just fine.

    win32codecs was hard to find.. Licensing issues

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats?action=show&redirect=Codecs
    all done ...
    :)

    Shane, Nov 30, 2005
  7. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:08:14 +0000, brianM wrote:

    > heretic - couldn't you have just moved slightly into the
    > shade with VectorLinux?
    >
    > :=(
    >
    > BrianM

    Hadnt heard of Vector to be honest,
    and this way I'm 'hip' and 'with it' :)

    Shane, Nov 30, 2005
  8. Shane

    brianM Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:07:36 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:08:14 +0000, brianM wrote:
    >

    >> heretic - couldn't you have just moved slightly into the
    >> shade with VectorLinux?
    >>
    >> :=(
    >>
    >> BrianM

    > Hadnt heard of Vector to be honest,
    > and this way I'm 'hip' and 'with it' :)

    VectorLinux is based on Slack. Small, fast and easy to
    install. Have a look anyway at their website
    http://www.vectorlinux.com/

    cheers
    BrianM

    brianM, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Shane

    Enkidu Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp
    > formerly used by Debian.

    KDE is EEEEEVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 30, 2005
  10. Shane

    steve Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >

    >> Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp
    >> formerly used by Debian.
    >>

    > KDE is EEEEEVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    It's actually pretty good.

    The German government using it on thousands of desktops appears to have
    been the catalyst that has seen some very good and very serious
    development taking place over the past few years.

    I'll have to try the latest versions of Gnome, though.....I run the
    apps, but haven't had the full experience since the last time I
    successfully installed Ubuntu for personal use - about a year ago.

    steve, Nov 30, 2005
  11. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:04:59 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> Shane wrote:
    >>

    >>> Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp
    >>> formerly used by Debian.
    >>>

    >> KDE is EEEEEVVVVVIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    Oh come onnnn ... it'll put hairs on your chest :)

    > It's actually pretty good.
    >
    > The German government using it on thousands of desktops appears to have
    > been the catalyst that has seen some very good and very serious
    > development taking place over the past few years.
    >
    > I'll have to try the latest versions of Gnome, though.....I run the
    > apps, but haven't had the full experience since the last time I
    > successfully installed Ubuntu for personal use - about a year ago.

    Ive gone off gnome, and Im not looking for lightweight at this point
    one thing I like about KDE is, its still customiseable (sp?) I didnt like
    the default square look, and changed it to keramik with a nice rounded
    look, and changed the splash.
    Interestingly its possible to turn it into a lookalike of XP, why I dont
    know, I always thought clones were in bad taste. No accounting for taste
    I suppose

    Shane, Nov 30, 2005
  12. Shane

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp

    Whew, thought you had gone 027 :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Nov 30, 2005
  13. Shane

    Barry Phease Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:32:54 +1300, Shane wrote:

    I tried top install ubuntu on my G3, but couldn't get it to work, so have
    YDL there instead. I run Slackware, which I find gives me very good
    control. Why do you think Kubuntu is better?

    > Ive gone off gnome, and Im not looking for lightweight at this point one
    > thing I like about KDE is, its still customiseable (sp?)

    Gnome is pretty customisable too. I use a lightweight (icewm). I don't
    like having icons all over my desktop.

    I have Gnome and KDE installed and I can run kicker or panel if I need a
    menu. I wrote my own menu program for them in java so that I could
    translate them to icewm format.

    > Interestingly its possible to turn it into a lookalike of XP, why I dont
    > know, I always thought clones were in bad taste.

    There are still people who won't try something new unless it *looks*
    exactly like what they are used to.

    --
    Barry Phease

    mailto:
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~barryp

    Barry Phease, Nov 30, 2005
  14. Shane

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:20:35 +1300, Barry Phease wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:32:54 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    > I tried top install ubuntu on my G3, but couldn't get it to work, so have
    > YDL there instead. I run Slackware, which I find gives me very good
    > control. Why do you think Kubuntu is better?

    Ive stuck with Slackware for 2 or 3 years now, but I'm tiring of its lack
    of coordination (also one of its strengths)
    I do find kubuntu a little fluffy and hold your hand compared to Slack
    (which I'm not fond of) but Ive wanted to shift to a reasonable Debian
    based desktop for a while now (I should really have gone sid.. )

    >> Ive gone off gnome, and Im not looking for lightweight at this point
    >> one thing I like about KDE is, its still customiseable (sp?)

    > Gnome is pretty customisable too. I use a lightweight (icewm). I don't
    > like having icons all over my desktop.
    >
    > I have Gnome and KDE installed and I can run kicker or panel if I need a
    > menu. I wrote my own menu program for them in java so that I could
    > translate them to icewm format.

    The last time I was listening I heard that Slackware was dropping Gnome in
    favour of KDE as well
    I dont like developing with QT over GTK
    But I like (as a user) KDE.. theres no accounting for taste :)

    >> Interestingly its possible to turn it into a lookalike of XP, why I
    >> dont know, I always thought clones were in bad taste.

    > There are still people who won't try something new unless it *looks*
    > exactly like what they are used to.

    People are always disappointed with clones, the peach never outsold the
    apple nor did any of the other apple II clones
    I can see their POV, sure familiarity makes for a shallower learning
    curve, but theres so much more. In fact as you well know, once people
    look under the *nix hood theres a *heck* of a lot more than windows could
    prepare them for

    Shane, Nov 30, 2005
  15. Shane

    shannon Guest

    Barry Phease wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:32:54 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    > I tried top install ubuntu on my G3, but couldn't get it to work, so have
    > YDL there instead. I run Slackware, which I find gives me very good
    > control. Why do you think Kubuntu is better?
    >
    >> Ive gone off gnome, and Im not looking for lightweight at this point one
    >> thing I like about KDE is, its still customiseable (sp?)

    > Gnome is pretty customisable too. I use a lightweight (icewm). I don't
    > like having icons all over my desktop.
    >
    > I have Gnome and KDE installed and I can run kicker or panel if I need a
    > menu. I wrote my own menu program for them in java so that I could
    > translate them to icewm format.
    >
    >> Interestingly its possible to turn it into a lookalike of XP, why I dont
    >> know, I always thought clones were in bad taste.

    > There are still people who won't try something new unless it *looks*
    > exactly like what they are used to.

    Kubuntu is a subset of Ubuntu so its a virtual package in the apt
    repository.
    You can set up Ubuntu so you have a choice of either at the login.
    icewm is in ubuntu too, so is fluxbox and blackbox, just search in synaptic

    If you want Ubuntu for a slow machine check out Ubuntulite
    http://www.ubuntulite.org/

    Another gem I came across yesterday was a LiveCD distro designed for
    slimserver and Squeezebox
    http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763&kategorie=slim
    I believe there are other slimserver users here.

    shannon, Nov 30, 2005
  16. Shane

    PAM. Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message
    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > > Installed Kubuntu 5.10 last night, used a partition on my main comp

    > Whew, thought you had gone 027 :)

    Wash your mouth out
    :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Nov 30, 2005
  17. Shane

    Fran Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > The last time I was listening I heard that Slackware was dropping Gnome in
    > favour of KDE as well
    > I dont like developing with QT over GTK
    > But I like (as a user) KDE.. theres no accounting for taste :)

    Dropping Gnome as packages like Dropline are doing a better job than Pat
    could on his own.

    It's not a "Gnome bad. Dropping Gnome" thing.

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Dec 1, 2005
  18. Shane

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:20:35 +1300, Barry Phease wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:32:54 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >>
    >>I tried top install ubuntu on my G3, but couldn't get it to work, so have
    >>YDL there instead. I run Slackware, which I find gives me very good
    >>control. Why do you think Kubuntu is better?
    >>

    > Ive stuck with Slackware for 2 or 3 years now, but I'm tiring of its lack
    > of coordination (also one of its strengths)
    > I do find kubuntu a little fluffy and hold your hand compared to Slack
    > (which I'm not fond of) but Ive wanted to shift to a reasonable Debian
    > based desktop for a while now (I should really have gone sid.. )
    >

    >>>Ive gone off gnome, and Im not looking for lightweight at this point
    >>>one thing I like about KDE is, its still customiseable (sp?)

    >>Gnome is pretty customisable too. I use a lightweight (icewm). I don't
    >>like having icons all over my desktop.
    >>
    >>I have Gnome and KDE installed and I can run kicker or panel if I need a
    >>menu. I wrote my own menu program for them in java so that I could
    >>translate them to icewm format.
    >>

    > The last time I was listening I heard that Slackware was dropping Gnome in
    > favour of KDE as well
    > I dont like developing with QT over GTK
    > But I like (as a user) KDE.. theres no accounting for taste :)
    >

    >>>Interestingly its possible to turn it into a lookalike of XP, why I
    >>>dont know, I always thought clones were in bad taste.

    >>There are still people who won't try something new unless it *looks*
    >>exactly like what they are used to.

    > People are always disappointed with clones, the peach never outsold the
    > apple nor did any of the other apple II clones
    > I can see their POV, sure familiarity makes for a shallower learning
    > curve, but theres so much more. In fact as you well know, once people
    > look under the *nix hood theres a *heck* of a lot more than windows could
    > prepare them for

    Yes SlackWare every time I get pissed off with distrubution xyz from zxy
    A newer version of SlackWare seems to take ist's palce. As for sound and
    Mouse scrole wheel sound works verry well out of the box now and as for
    scroll wheel it is.

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    Added to the xorg.conf file

    One day I will try ubunto but my fav window manager is fluxbox. and for
    the record I think the maintiner of slackware is a mad man.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 1, 2005