    come out.

    I actually regret installing it now :(

    David

    David Cleland, May 16, 2005

  2. The changes to the 64-bit releases are almost all under the hood, offering
    potential improvements to developers and systems administrators but little
    obvious change to how users interact with their machines.
    The key differentiator is the ability to address more memory, the challenge
    in a 32-bit architecture is that you can only address 4GB of physical
    memory.

    http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,15283736^15382^^nbv^,00.html
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 16, 2005

  3. sell it then ;)

    =?Utf-8?B?cnVzc193aWxs?=, May 16, 2005
  4. David;
    That is one reason why this is not for everyone.
    It is necessary to verify your equipment is supported and that 64 bit
    Windows will meet your needs before installing.

    It is important to remember this is a new operating system and OEM only.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], May 16, 2005
  5. Yup, if you're just an ordinary XP user, who doesn't do lots of digital media
    or database or whatever stuff, you won't see much. As games become more
    available we should see some fairly amazing things there, I expect. And
    certainly anyone who does digital media of one type or another will see some
    benefit, possibly quite a bit, when their programs become available for x64.
    But otherwise, it's ultimately just XP, albeit an XP with a MUCH larger
    memory space, and faster registers, and better I/O overall.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 16, 2005
  6. David Cleland

    Rick Guest

    I have the full RTM OEM version, too, and I am extremely happy with the
    product! The x64 OS boots quicker than XP Pro did and I can tell the
    difference in the response of the programs! Especially the ones that
    are 64 bit, like I.E. 64 bit and other 64 bit programs I have acquired
    for x64.

    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    "...holy shit...what a ride!"

    Rick, May 17, 2005
  7. David Cleland

    Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:26:27 -0400, Rick <> wrote:

    >I have the full RTM OEM version, too, and I am extremely happy with the
    >product! The x64 OS boots quicker than XP Pro did and I can tell the
    >difference in the response of the programs! Especially the ones that
    >are 64 bit, like I.E. 64 bit and other 64 bit programs I have acquired
    >for x64.

    It's probably just faster because its a new install ;)

    >"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    >body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
    >"...holy shit...what a ride!"
    >

    >David Cleland wrote:
    >
    >> bought in the uk, and I thought I was going to see something amazing, but
    >> sadly not. I think you need to wait 6 months for the apps, drivers etc to
    >> come out.
    >>
    >> I actually regret installing it now :(
    >>
    >> David

    , May 17, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:26:27 -0400, Rick <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have the full RTM OEM version, too, and I am extremely happy with
    >> the product! The x64 OS boots quicker than XP Pro did and I can
    >> tell the difference in the response of the programs! Especially the
    >> ones that are 64 bit, like I.E. 64 bit and other 64 bit programs I
    >> have acquired for x64.
    >>

    > It's probably just faster because its a new install ;)

    Naw. I have Windows 2003 SP1 x64 RTM installed, and it is faster than
    Windows 2003 SP1 x86 RTM.

    Wayne Wastier, May 17, 2005
  9. No, it loads off the disk faster, for one thing. Yes, it's new and that
    helps. But I'm always building new machines and the x64 box is definitely
    faster than any other at just loading and getting started.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 17, 2005
  10. David Cleland

    Roy Coorne Guest

    David Cleland wrote:
    > bought in the uk, and I thought I was going to see something amazing, but
    > sadly not. I think you need to wait 6 months for the apps, drivers etc to
    > come out.
    >
    > I actually regret installing it now :(

    THX for your honest comment.

    There are users who wait for the SP2 before installing a new OS...

    (Or dual boot - which I prefer.)

    Roy

    Roy Coorne, May 17, 2005
  11. Target Markets:
    1. Professional:
    High End Workstation Professional Users
    CAD/CAM, DCC, Developers, Financial

    2. Consumer:
    Digital Enthusiasts Consumer
    High End 3D Gaming and Advanced Video/Photo Editing

    KEN

    Ken Zhao [MSFT], May 17, 2005
  12. Ken Zhao [MSFT] wrote:
    > Target Markets:
    > 1. Professional:
    > High End Workstation Professional Users
    > CAD/CAM, DCC, Developers, Financial
    >
    > 2. Consumer:
    > Digital Enthusiasts Consumer
    > High End 3D Gaming and Advanced Video/Photo Editing
    >
    > KEN

    And you left out,

    3. System Builders that need to stay in touch with the latest technologies
    for their customers.

    :)

    Wayne Wastier, May 17, 2005
  13. David Cleland

    Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:25:14 -0500, "Wayne Wastier"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:26:27 -0400, Rick <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have the full RTM OEM version, too, and I am extremely happy with
    >>> the product! The x64 OS boots quicker than XP Pro did and I can
    >>> tell the difference in the response of the programs! Especially the
    >>> ones that are 64 bit, like I.E. 64 bit and other 64 bit programs I
    >>> have acquired for x64.
    >>>

    >> It's probably just faster because its a new install ;)
    >>

    >Naw. I have Windows 2003 SP1 x64 RTM installed, and it is faster than
    >Windows 2003 SP1 x86 RTM.

    Is your Windows 2003 sp1 a new install ?
    I'm not saying it isn't faster but every time I do a new install it
    always seems snappier and faster even when its the same OS

    , May 17, 2005
  14. wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:25:14 -0500, "Wayne Wastier"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> It's probably just faster because its a new install ;)
    >>>

    >> Naw. I have Windows 2003 SP1 x64 RTM installed, and it is faster
    >> than Windows 2003 SP1 x86 RTM.
    >>

    > Is your Windows 2003 sp1 a new install ?
    > I'm not saying it isn't faster but every time I do a new install it
    > always seems snappier and faster even when its the same OS

    No.

    Wayne Wastier, May 17, 2005
  15. David Cleland

    Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:37:55 -0500, "Wayne Wastier"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:25:14 -0500, "Wayne Wastier"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Naw. I have Windows 2003 SP1 x64 RTM installed, and it is faster
    >>> than Windows 2003 SP1 x86 RTM.
    >>>

    >> Is your Windows 2003 sp1 a new install ?
    >> I'm not saying it isn't faster but every time I do a new install it
    >> always seems snappier and faster even when its the same OS

    >No.

    If you say so
    Later

    , May 17, 2005
  16. wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:37:55 -0500, "Wayne Wastier"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Is your Windows 2003 sp1 a new install ?
    >>> I'm not saying it isn't faster but every time I do a new install it
    >>> always seems snappier and faster even when its the same OS

    >> No.
    >>

    > If you say so
    > Later

    Well, I should know how long my OS has been installed. LOL :)

    Wayne Wastier, May 17, 2005