    7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141

    that weren't me!!!!
    Sir Leslie Bottocks, Feb 9, 2013

  2. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    EMB Guest

    On 10/02/2013 12:47 p.m., Sir Leslie Bottocks wrote:
    > my yahoo mail,
    >
    > Recent Login Activity
    >
    > 7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    > 7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    >

    > that weren't me!!!!

    You and a bucketload of other yahoo!Xtra email users over the last week.
    There's either a pretty good dictionary attack going on, or someone
    isn't admitting that their password database has been compromised.
    EMB, Feb 10, 2013

  3. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:47:18 +1300, "Sir Leslie Bottocks"
    <> wrote:

    >my yahoo mail,
    >
    >Recent Login Activity
    >
    >7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    >7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    >

    >that weren't me!!!!

    So what was your password? Was it simple/ weak? If so, change it to
    gibberish, like wkkk#qqq123.
    nospam, Feb 10, 2013
  4. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Sir Leslie Bottocks says...

    > my yahoo mail,
    >
    > Recent Login Activity
    >
    > 7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    > 7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    >

    > that weren't me!!!!

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/whatsnew/emailservicestatus/

    from that page...

    Phishing Scam Emails

    Feb 10, 2013

    Phishing Scam Emails

    We are aware some customers may be receiving unsolicited emails. If you
    have received any of these emails, we recommend that you delete these
    without opening them and under no circumstances should you reply to
    these emails with any log on, password or personal information.

    Yahoo has confirmed this morning that this issue is now resolved,
    however some customers may still receive a bounce-back reply from emails
    sent prior to this resolution. We recommend that all affected customers
    reset their Xtra email password, which can be done here:

    https://selfservice.xtra.co.nz/live/selfservice/ChgPwd/?GXHC_GX_jst=
    8258c07950ea6165

    Alternatively ? if you are a webmail user:
    Go to nz.yahoo.com
    Log on to your Telecom yahoo!xtra profile
    Click on account info under my profile
    Enter in your current password
    Click on Change or Forgotten password and follow the prompts

    If you use an email client like Outlook or Entourage, you should then
    update that account with your new password.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 10, 2013
  5. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:47:12 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >On 10/02/2013 12:47 p.m., Sir Leslie Bottocks wrote:
    >> my yahoo mail,
    >>
    >> Recent Login Activity
    >>
    >> 7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    >> 7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    >>

    >> that weren't me!!!!

    >You and a bucketload of other yahoo!Xtra email users over the last week.
    > There's either a pretty good dictionary attack going on, or someone
    >isn't admitting that their password database has been compromised.

    My email account hasn't been hacked, but then I started using a
    independent paid email service (Fastmail.net) shortly after Xtra
    stopped providing its own service and sub-contracted out to Yahoo. So
    the only address I have that still uses the Xtra domain is the one for
    my Xtra account and the Yahoo account associated with it has no
    addressbook.

    On the other hand, I use extremely robust passwords (12 to 16 random
    combinations of upper & lower case letters, numbers and symbols) on
    all of my online accounts. So if one of those is compromised it's
    pretty serious.

    So far I've received eight separate spam emails from friends and one
    business whose accounts have been hacked. Five of them from Xtra
    addresses, three of them from Yahoo addresses. So it's pretty clear
    that it's Yahoo that has allowed the accounts to be hacked - which is
    why I wouldn't trust Yahoo with my addressbook.
    Donchano, Feb 10, 2013
  6. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 11/02/2013 9:04 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > , Sir Leslie Bottocks says...
    >>
    >> my yahoo mail,
    >>
    >> Recent Login Activity
    >>
    >> 7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    >> 7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    >>

    >> that weren't me!!!!

    > http://www.telecom.co.nz/whatsnew/emailservicestatus/
    >
    > from that page...
    >
    > Phishing Scam Emails
    >
    > Feb 10, 2013
    >
    > Phishing Scam Emails

    This looks like bs to me. There are always phishing emails, but unless
    Buttocks responded to one his password should be safe.
    Gib Bogle, Feb 10, 2013
  7. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kf90ik$7b6$>, , Gib
    Bogle says...

    > On 11/02/2013 9:04 a.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > , Sir Leslie Bottocks says...
    > >>
    > >> my yahoo mail,
    > >>
    > >> Recent Login Activity
    > >>
    > >> 7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    > >> 7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    > >>

    > >> that weren't me!!!!

    > > http://www.telecom.co.nz/whatsnew/emailservicestatus/
    > >
    > > from that page...
    > >
    > > Phishing Scam Emails
    > >
    > > Feb 10, 2013
    > >
    > > Phishing Scam Emails

    > This looks like bs to me. There are always phishing emails, but unless
    > Buttocks responded to one his password should be safe.

    Indeed it's quite incorrectly titled - poor stuff from Xtra/Telecom.

    But then who'd expect them to fess up.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 10, 2013
  8. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    Gib Bogle Guest

    http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/...it-amid-reports-yahoo-failed-to-fix-old-flaw/
    Gib Bogle, Feb 10, 2013
  9. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    John Little Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/31/yahoo-mail-users-still-seeing-

    accounts-hacked-via-xss-exploit-amid-reports-yahoo-failed-to-fix-old-flaw/

    My reading of that article was that Yahoo still has an XSS flaw, and that is
    being exploited. However, the main breach occurred in June last year, an
    SQL injection attack which netted 450,000 or so accounts and passwords. It
    would seem the bad guys have been quietly cracking and harvesting address
    books since then.

    One of my daughters had an old Yahoo account from when she was a little
    girl, with "pretty princess" in the user name (despite her father's strident
    republicanism "kings and queens are bad people"). Naturally when she got
    older she moved to a less embarrassing moniker, but the old account was
    still there and it's address book started being spammed yesterday. There's
    no way an XSS vulnerability can affect an account that's not used (but of
    course the phishing e-mails entice people to a site that exploits the XSS
    thing.)

    I'm annoyed with myself that I wasn't aware of the scope of the breach in
    June, and the desirability of changing any Yahoo account password, even for
    an ancient unused account.

    Regards, John Little
    John Little, Feb 11, 2013
  10. Sir Leslie Bottocks

    EMB Guest

    On 11/02/2013 9:11 a.m., Donchano wrote:

    > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:47:12 +1300, EMB <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >> On 10/02/2013 12:47 p.m., Sir Leslie Bottocks wrote:
    >>> my yahoo mail,
    >>>
    >>> Recent Login Activity
    >>>
    >>> 7:49 PM Browser Mail Access Japan122.209.228.141
    >>> 7:49 PM Yahoo!Xtra Mobile Logged In Japan122.209.228.141
    >>>

    >>> that weren't me!!!!

    >> You and a bucketload of other yahoo!Xtra email users over the last week.
    >> There's either a pretty good dictionary attack going on, or someone
    >> isn't admitting that their password database has been compromised.

    > My email account hasn't been hacked, but then I started using a
    > independent paid email service (Fastmail.net) shortly after Xtra
    > stopped providing its own service and sub-contracted out to Yahoo. So
    > the only address I have that still uses the Xtra domain is the one for
    > my Xtra account and the Yahoo account associated with it has no
    > addressbook.

    Ditto.
    > On the other hand, I use extremely robust passwords (12 to 16 random
    > combinations of upper & lower case letters, numbers and symbols) on
    > all of my online accounts. So if one of those is compromised it's
    > pretty serious.

    Me too - but mine is 17 characters as anything less than 16 is
    vulnerable to a rainbow tables attack. I still changed it though.

    > So far I've received eight separate spam emails from friends and one
    > business whose accounts have been hacked. Five of them from Xtra
    > addresses, three of them from Yahoo addresses. So it's pretty clear
    > that it's Yahoo that has allowed the accounts to be hacked - which is
    > why I wouldn't trust Yahoo with my addressbook.

    I've received a couple, and had close to 100 forwarded to me by users at
    work suffering from confucsion at them.
    EMB, Feb 11, 2013