    onto a CD all the software tell me that he files are bigger than the
    destination - I should have 300MB of blank space - what gives?

    Marc
    Marc, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Marc

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Marc postulated...

    > and have gone from 7gig to less than 400mb of MP3 but when I try to
    > fit them onto a CD all the software tell me that he files are bigger
    > than the destination - I should have 300MB of blank space - what
    > gives?
    >
    > Marc

    You are trying to create a music cd or a data cd ?

    Data cd's for mp3's :)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Marc

    MJP Guest

    > and have gone from 7gig to less than 400mb of MP3 but when I try to fit

    them
    > onto a CD all the software tell me that he files are bigger than the
    > destination - I should have 300MB of blank space - what gives?
    >
    > Marc

    Depending on what software you are using, make sure you are writing a data
    CD as opposed to an audio CD.
    Otherwise the burning program is converting your mp3's to CDA files.

    MJP
    MJP, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:03:59 GMT, "Marc" <>
    scribbled:

    >and have gone from 7gig to less than 400mb of MP3 but when I try to fit them
    >onto a CD all the software tell me that he files are bigger than the
    >destination - I should have 300MB of blank space - what gives?

    Audio CDs are based on TIME.
    Data CDs are based on SPACE.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks y'all that's what I thought but I wasn't positive. Now for another
    question. Why don't the people that write the software take this into
    consideration if you want to burn an MP3 disc convert them to wav(cda) butt
    leave them as MPs or give you the option?

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Marc

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Marc postulated...

    > Thanks y'all that's what I thought but I wasn't positive. Now for
    > another question. Why don't the people that write the software take
    > this into consideration if you want to burn an MP3 disc convert them
    > to wav(cda) butt leave them as MPs or give you the option?

    They do.

    It's called Read The Fucking Manual.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Marc

    Senti Guest

    Marc did mumble mLCOb.14213$...

    > Thanks y'all that's what I thought but I wasn't positive. Now for
    > another question. Why don't the people that write the software take
    > this into consideration if you want to burn an MP3 disc convert them
    > to wav(cda) butt leave them as MPs or give you the option?
    >
    > Marc
    >
    > "Marc" <> wrote in message
    >> and have gone from 7gig to less than 400mb of MP3 but when I try to
    >> fit them onto a CD all the software tell me that he files are bigger
    >> than the destination - I should have 300MB of blank space - what
    >> gives?
    >>
    >> Marc

    They do... that's why you have the option to (and I'll take this slowly for
    you...) burn... as... Audio ...OR ...as ...Data

    Audio for music CD, Data for mp3/wav/etc
    --
    ~SF~
    To make a man happy, fill his hands with work. -Frederick E. Crane
    Senti, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Last time I checked MP3/WAV/etc. were audio not data! Data to me have
    extensions like xls, doc, txt, exe, dll etc. I have looked and from what
    I've read the manuals are full of assumptions and jargon. This is a great
    example.

    Thanks

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Howdy!

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks y'all that's what I thought but I wasn't positive. Now for another
    > question. Why don't the people that write the software take this into
    > consideration if you want to burn an MP3 disc convert them to wav(cda)

    butt
    > leave them as MPs or give you the option?

    Ehh - Because, if it's not 44.1Khz sampling stereo 16 bit, it won't
    play?

    If they're .WAV, they're not .MP3.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Marc

    Senti Guest

    Marc did mumble 6GIOb.14663$...

    > Last time I checked MP3/WAV/etc. were audio not data! Data to me have
    > extensions like xls, doc, txt, exe, dll etc. I have looked and from
    > what I've read the manuals are full of assumptions and jargon. This
    > is a great example.

    When you burn an "audio" cd, the 'data' is converted to, and stored as a
    ..cda file on the cd. This is the type of file that can be played by regular
    cd players.

    When you burn MP3's or WAV files onto a cd, you are actually burning a
    "data" cd. These files are stored in the exact same format as on your
    computer. Some of the newer cd-players can read one or both (or more) of
    these. But it is still called a "data cd".

    These are the accepted (standard even?) usages when talking about burning
    cd's. The jargon won't change because you don't like it or are not used to
    thinking of it that way. Take some time to learn the "technical" (or even
    the 'commonly accepted') terms for the technology you are using before you
    argue that they are wrong...

    > "Senti" <> wrote in message
    >> Marc did mumble
    >> mLCOb.14213$...
    >>> "Marc" <> wrote in message

    >> They do... that's why you have the option to (and I'll take this
    >> slowly for you...) burn... as... Audio ...OR ...as ...Data
    >>
    >> Audio for music CD, Data for mp3/wav/etc
    >> --
    >> ~SF~
    >> To make a man happy, fill his hands with work. -Frederick E. Crane

    --
    ~SF~
    When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half.
    -Gracie Allen (1906-1964)
    Senti, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:03:14 GMT, "Marc" <>
    scribbled:

    >Last time I checked MP3/WAV/etc. were audio not data!

    Check again.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 19, 2004
  12. Marc

    Marc Guest

    That's my very point the "commonly accepted language" is the jargon that
    most "experts" like to spout. I work in CE and it's also jargon rich but I
    go out of my way when I explain technology to use as little jargon as I can
    and when I do I explain the terms and make sure they understand. Technology
    at this level doesn't have to be difficult but it's kept this way for the
    elitist and the techno geeks. To the lay man the "data" is all the same -
    "0 or 1" or "ons than offs".
    The manuals are written by some tech writer that too often came up in the
    industry and vocabulary is jargon based. So lighten up I only ask question
    here after I've spend to much time trying to understand the manual.

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:31:28 GMT, "Marc" <>
    scribbled:

    >That's my very point the "commonly accepted language" is the jargon that
    >most "experts" like to spout.

    I'm fairly certain the average imbecile could grasp
    the difference between AUDIO and DATA.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Howdy!

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    > Last time I checked MP3/WAV/etc. were audio not data! Data to me have
    > extensions like xls, doc, txt, exe, dll etc. I have looked and from what
    > I've read the manuals are full of assumptions and jargon. This is a

    great
    > example.

    Marc - AUDIO is an analog signal propagated through a media.

    .WAV and .MP3 are both DATA files.

    Now, what they PRODUCE normally is audio ... but they're data, none
    the less.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 19, 2004
  15. Howdy!

    "Marc" <> wrote in message
    > That's my very point the "commonly accepted language" is the jargon that
    > most "experts" like to spout. I work in CE and it's also jargon rich but

    > go out of my way when I explain technology to use as little jargon as I

    can
    > and when I do I explain the terms and make sure they understand.

    Technology
    > at this level doesn't have to be difficult but it's kept this way for the
    > elitist and the techno geeks. To the lay man the "data" is all the same -
    > "0 or 1" or "ons than offs".

    Why, yes, it is. Which is why .MP3s and .WAVs are data files ...

    And, no, it's not kept that way for the elitist and techno geeks -
    it's kept that way because it IS that way. Your muttering won't change
    that.

    > The manuals are written by some tech writer that too often came up in the
    > industry and vocabulary is jargon based. So lighten up I only ask

    question
    > here after I've spend to much time trying to understand the manual.

    And you got an answer, including a quick and a not-so-quick
    explanation.

    But it's one you already understood, just didn't KNOW you understood

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 19, 2004
  16. Marc

    Senti Guest

    Marc did mumble Q_QOb.14943$...

    > That's my very point the "commonly accepted language" is the jargon
    > that most "experts" like to spout. I work in CE and it's also jargon
    > rich but I go out of my way when I explain technology to use as
    > little jargon as I can and when I do I explain the terms and make
    > sure they understand. Technology at this level doesn't have to be
    > difficult but it's kept this way for the elitist and the techno
    > geeks. To the lay man the "data" is all the same - "0 or 1" or "ons
    > than offs".
    > The manuals are written by some tech writer that too often came up in
    > the industry and vocabulary is jargon based. So lighten up I only
    > ask question here after I've spend to much time trying to understand
    > the manual.

    See Hawks and Ralphs posts... both are pretty much what I would reply with
    :)
    --
    ~SF~
    It is one of the superstitions of the human mind to have imagined that
    Senti, Jan 19, 2004
  17. Marc

    Marc Guest

    So your telling me - albeit - erroneously - that because MP3 and WAV are 1
    and 0 their data and CDs are not. Well you better go and check out how a CD
    is recorded - 1 and 0 - so I guess that makes them data also! So now can
    you explain how the average lay man based on your "definition" is to tell
    the difference. Or maybe your the imbecile for making these gross
    assumption - those elitist and techno geeks. Would you like me to send you
    a little explanation of all that is entailed in either of the manufacturing
    of CD and DVD or maybe just howbig the machine is - OH sorry I making the
    assumption that you have actually seen how they're made. I sell equipment
    that is used in the process. Now can you explain to me what takes place in
    recording of a CD - don't cheat and look it up.

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 20, 2004
  18. Marc

    wisefool Guest

    Marc said:
    > So your telling me - albeit - erroneously - that because MP3 and WAV
    > are 1 and 0 their data and CDs are not. Well you better go and check
    > out how a CD is recorded - 1 and 0 - so I guess that makes them data
    > also! So now can you explain how the average lay man based on your
    > "definition" is to tell the difference. Or maybe your the imbecile
    > for making these gross assumption - those elitist and techno geeks.
    > Would you like me to send you a little explanation of all that is
    > entailed in either of the manufacturing of CD and DVD or maybe just
    > howbig the machine is - OH sorry I making the assumption that you
    > have actually seen how they're made. I sell equipment that is used
    > in the process. Now can you explain to me what takes place in
    > recording of a CD - don't cheat and look it up.
    >
    > Marc

    Actually Marc, we'd be quite happy to explain it if you'd just first explain
    exactly
    how bread is baked in your local bakery -- don't read about it, that would
    be too
    geeky. Ask the baker himself. We really need to know that too y'know.

    wisefool
    wisefool, Jan 20, 2004
  19. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:56:28 GMT, "Marc" <>
    scribbled:

    >Or maybe your the imbecile for making these gross
    >assumption - those elitist and techno geeks.

    It's elitest to expect someone to grasp the difference
    between audio and data discs after it's been explained
    a dozen times? How many more times do you need
    the same clue hammered into that concrete block
    you're passing off as a head?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 20, 2004
  20. Marc

    wisefool Guest

    Marc said:
    > So your telling me - albeit - erroneously - that because MP3 and WAV
    > are 1 and 0 their data and CDs are not. Well you better go and check
    > out how a CD is recorded - 1 and 0 - so I guess that makes them data
    > also! So now can you explain how the average lay man based on your
    > "definition" is to tell the difference. Or maybe your the imbecile

    Data and audio have perfectly good definitions, but in colloquial usage with
    reference to CD burning, *audio* means uncompressed tracks that are
    playable on any CD player. Desktop CD burning programs use the word
    in this way, at least on the surface.

    That's all I'm gonna say on this topic. Otherwise I'm gonna have to
    recommend the comfy chair.

    > for making these gross assumption - those elitist and techno geeks.
    > Would you like me to send you a little explanation of all that is
    > entailed in either of the manufacturing of CD and DVD or maybe just
    > howbig the machine is - OH sorry I making the assumption that you
    > have actually seen how they're made. I sell equipment that is used
    > in the process. Now can you explain to me what takes place in
    > recording of a CD - don't cheat and look it up.

    You just told us -- 1 and 0. Seems a pretty good summary to me.

    Now about this bakery...

    wisefool, Jan 20, 2004