    not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
    networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?

    Marc
    Marc, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Marc

    old man Guest

    From my recollection the winxp network floppy can only be used on another
    winxp sys, I know it cannot be run on a win2k sys.

    old man, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I have trouble connecting from the 98SE machine to the XP machine but not
    the opposite.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 22, 2005
  4. Marc

    Mike Easter Guest

    Marc wrote:

    > I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
    > running XP.

    > the desktop does not see the lap
    > top on the network

    You have to configure the laptop for shares if you want the desktop to
    see its files.

    Both need to be able to see the network neighborhood, both need to be
    logged on as a client with either windows logon or family logon, and
    both have to have some kind of protocol bindings to the network.

    What happens when you run the network troubleshooter? It sounds like
    you need to use the Win98 troubleshooter on the desktop.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Marc

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:50:37 GMT, "Marc"
    <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote:

    (N_O-S_P_A_M) is on the wrong side of the @.

    >I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
    >running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top on
    >the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top does

    Does not see how, you didn't give much away.

    Can't map a share, can't ping by IP address or by name.

    The IP addresses are manually entered static, maybe even dynamic
    allocation from a router that you use to share your connection. Maybe
    it's ISC you are using, or maybe it's some other sharing app or not.

    >not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
    >networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?

    Windows PCs store a local name table and advertise thier ability to do
    so. It's something like -
    NT4, Win 2000 , XP , Win 2003 in that order, it sometimes helps to turn
    on the PC with the newer OS first.

    Me
    why?, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Marc

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:25:39 GMT, "Marc"
    <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >I have trouble connecting from the 98SE machine to the XP machine but not
    >the opposite.

    Logon to the 98SE with an account that (same name/password that you
    already created) that exists on the XP box. You didn't say if you did
    this.

    >Marc
    >
    >"old man" <> wrote in message
    >> From my recollection the winxp network floppy can only be used on another
    >> winxp sys, I know it cannot be run on a win2k sys.
    >>
    >> "Marc" <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
    >> > running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top

    >on
    >> > the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Both computers are set to share the folders. I using Family log on for the
    98SE machine. If I retreive and transfer a file off the 98SE machine to the
    XP suddenly the XP shows up on the network.

    Marc

    Marc, Nov 22, 2005
  8. Marc

    Mike Easter Guest

    Marc wrote:
    > Both computers are set to share the folders. I using Family log on
    > for the 98SE machine. If I retreive and transfer a file off the 98SE
    > machine to the XP suddenly the XP shows up on the network.

    Some firewalls function by blocking anything which hasn't been recently
    contacted

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Marc

    Luke Guest

    "Marc" <mcnr(N_O-S_P_A_M)@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >I have 2 computers on the network a desktop running 98SE and a lap top
    >running XP. There are times when the desktop does not see the lap top on
    >the network and I have trouble connecting to the lap top. The lap top does
    >not have a floppy drive so I have never been able to finishing the
    >networking "solution" on the computer running XP is that the problem?
    >
    >Marc

    Copper.net has the best network support for beginners.

    Took it for a test run recently and wouldn't recommend anyone else.
    Called tech support no less than 5 times, and got a person on the line
    w/in 120sec every single time during the 3 mo. trial period.

    I don't use it, and I don't work for them. But, they carry the usenet
    and I've recommended this ISP to family on dial-up.

    They've been tested.

    Luke
    Luke, Nov 23, 2005