I have a friend who..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sailor Sam, Nov 30, 2009.

  1. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Has windows 7, he has managed to break a trust relationship between a
    server, and a workstation, and is struggling to reestablish the
    relationship. Apparently he can not "log in as administrator to fix it"

    My advice was to boot to single user mode, and log in as root, but
    apparently this functionality is not available to him.

    In his words "the boot disk's rescue mode gives an administrator command
    line, but it doesn't seem to work I tried to enable the local
    administrator profile with it, but it doesn't go"

    The commands he tried are below.

    net user
    net user administrator /enable:eek:n
    or something like that
    and then set a password for it
    net user administrator abc123

    Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

    Sailor Sam, Nov 30, 2009

  2. Sailor Sam

    peterwn Guest

    On Dec 1, 12:26 pm, Sailor Sam <> wrote:
    > Has windows 7, he has managed to break a trust relationship between a
    > server, and a workstation, and is struggling to reestablish the
    > relationship.  Apparently he can not "log in as administrator to fix it"
    >
    > My advice was to boot to single user mode, and log in as root, but
    > apparently this functionality is not available to him.
    >
    > In his words "the boot disk's rescue mode gives an administrator command
    > line, but it doesn't seem to work I tried to enable the local
    > administrator profile with it, but it doesn't go"
    >
    > The commands he tried are below.
    >
    > net user
    > net user administrator /enable:eek:n
    > or something like that
    > and then set a password for it
    > net user administrator abc123
    >
    > Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

    Assuming the machine(s) belong to him (ie he has legal control over
    their destiny) he could use some tool (available for free) to reset
    the admin password for XP (for the hidden user called
    'administrator').. Perhaps it works on Windows 7.

    peterwn, Dec 1, 2009

  3. Sailor Sam

    EMB Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:

    > Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

    Delete the computer from AD on the server, then re-add it.

    EMB, Dec 1, 2009
  4. Sailor Sam

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:

    > Assuming the machine(s) belong to him (ie he has legal control over
    > their destiny) he could use some tool (available for free) to reset
    > the admin password for XP (for the hidden user called
    > 'administrator').. Perhaps it works on Windows 7.

    Assuming of course that the administrator account hasn't been renamed.

    EMB, Dec 1, 2009
  5. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Sailor Sam wrote:
    >

    >> Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

    > Delete the computer from AD on the server, then re-add it.

    Hmm, he couldn't do that because he didn't have admin access to the
    workstation. For future reference he needed to enable the local admin
    account with a registry hack, and /then/ deleted the computer from the
    AD, etc

    /me shrugs

    tis fixed

    Sailor Sam, Dec 1, 2009
  6. Sailor Sam

    EMB Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > EMB wrote:

    >> Delete the computer from AD on the server, then re-add it.

    > Hmm, he couldn't do that because he didn't have admin access to the
    > workstation. For future reference he needed to enable the local admin
    > account with a registry hack, and /then/ deleted the computer from the
    > AD, etc

    In a properly set up network the local admin (ie on the client machine)
    shouldn't have been able to do this - a domain admin account should have
    been required. And were I doing it, I'd have made the change on the server.

    > tis fixed

    Excellent

    EMB, Dec 1, 2009