    of windows. So my PID# was invalid thus they hung up on me. Therefore if you
    need support on a Microsoft product make sure is not pirated and has a valid
    PID#.

    Peter Penner, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Peter Penner

    Me Guest

    On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:24:41 -0400, "Peter Penner" <> wrote:

    >I hate it! I had to uninstall it because after restarting my computer after
    >installing SP2 my internet connect on DSL wouldn't connect I think its the
    >firewall add-on that screws things up. I'd rather stick to freedom firewall
    >because its supported by bell so if it screws up they can help you fix it.
    >But with windows firewall you have to call Microsoft, but believe this, for
    >any kind of help, they ask for your product id # for windows xp. Well all I
    >wanted was to remove the damn service pack but the told me they wouldn't
    >help me because the computer store I bought my pc from used a pirated copy
    >of windows. So my PID# was invalid thus they hung up on me. Therefore if you
    >need support on a Microsoft product make sure is not pirated and has a valid
    >PID#.

    Peter,
    Pack that computer up in all the boxes it came in and bring it back where you purchased it.
    When the salesman asks you why you're returning it, tell him that you're too stupid to own a
    computer and you want a Gameboy instead. Oh, make sure he puts the batteries in for you too.

    Me, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Peter Penner

    Guest

    On "Peter Penner" <> wrote:

    |>I hate it! I had to uninstall it because after restarting my computer after
    |>installing SP2 my internet connect on DSL wouldn't connect I think its the
    |>firewall add-on that screws things up. I'd rather stick to freedom firewall
    |>because its supported by bell so if it screws up they can help you fix it.
    |>But with windows firewall you have to call Microsoft, but believe this, for
    |>any kind of help, they ask for your product id # for windows xp. Well all I
    |>wanted was to remove the damn service pack but the told me they wouldn't
    |>help me because the computer store I bought my pc from used a pirated copy
    |>of windows. So my PID# was invalid thus they hung up on me. Therefore if you
    |>need support on a Microsoft product make sure is not pirated and has a valid
    |>PID#.

    Run (WinKey+R) firewall.cpl <enter>
    In the advanced section(s) allow everything.

    This will fix a lot of connection problems.

    Then be sure to use your normal firewall.

    You should keep SP2 installed if it's not causing any other problems.

    --
    http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/27may_approachingmars.htm

    , Jun 1, 2005
  4. Peter Penner

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Peter Penner wrote:

    > I hate it! I had to uninstall it because after restarting my computer
    > after installing SP2 my internet connect on DSL wouldn't connect I think
    > its the firewall add-on that screws things up.

    Why didn't you disable the XP FW then if the XP FW was truly causing a DSL
    connection problem, which I doubt it was doing that.

    You could have done that instead of unistalling SP 2. A lot of other users
    have installed sp2 who have a DSL connection and I have not seen any post
    in this NG or anyother NG whining about the XP FW broke my Internet
    connection.

    > I'd rather stick to freedom
    > firewall because its supported by bell so if it screws up they can help
    > you fix it.

    Most 3rd personal FW solutions have that support.

    > But with windows firewall you have to call Microsoft, but
    > believe this, for any kind of help, they ask for your product id # for
    > windows xp.

    OK

    > Well all I wanted was to remove the damn service pack but the
    > told me they wouldn't help me because the computer store I bought my pc
    > from used a pirated copy of windows.

    OK

    > So my PID# was invalid thus they hung
    > up on me. Therefore if you need support on a Microsoft product make sure
    > is not pirated and has a valid PID#.

    How is that MS's fault? You should take it up with whoever sold you the
    computer as to why you don't have a legal copy of the O/S on your computer.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Peter Penner wrote:

    > I hate it! I had to uninstall it because after restarting my computer
    > after installing SP2 my internet connect on DSL wouldn't connect I think

    You may want to run the dsl install wizard once again, or better the windows
    internet connection wizard.

    > its the firewall add-on that screws things up. I'd rather stick to freedom
    > firewall because its supported by bell so if it screws up they can help
    > you fix it. But with windows firewall you have to call Microsoft, but
    > believe this, for any kind of help, they ask for your product id # for
    > windows xp. Well all I wanted was to remove the damn service pack but the
    > told me they wouldn't help me because the computer store I bought my pc
    > from used a pirated copy of windows. So my PID# was invalid thus they hung
    > up on me. Therefore if you need support on a Microsoft product make sure
    > is not pirated and has a valid PID#.

    Now why don't you take that complaint back to the shop? I guess they will be
    glad to offer a legal version of windows ... in particular if you tell them
    you consider calling microsoft again, giving them the phonenumber and/or
    address of that shop and a copy of your bill, just for verification of the
    issue :).
    But then, since you didn't do contact the shop in the first place, it's
    probably as most of the times: you got a _obviously_ pirated copy and maybe
    even a generated key, maybe from a more knowledgeable friend.
    Let that friend install linux on your computer. It's perfectly legal (to
    copy), most probably does what you want, and you won't have to worry about
    viruses and spyware.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jun 1, 2005
  6. Peter Penner

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:24:41 -0400, "Peter Penner" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I hate it! I had to uninstall it because after restarting my computer
    >>after
    >>installing SP2 my internet connect on DSL wouldn't connect I think its the
    >>firewall add-on that screws things up. I'd rather stick to freedom
    >>firewall
    >>because its supported by bell so if it screws up they can help you fix it.
    >>But with windows firewall you have to call Microsoft, but believe this,
    >>for
    >>any kind of help, they ask for your product id # for windows xp. Well all
    >>wanted was to remove the damn service pack but the told me they wouldn't
    >>help me because the computer store I bought my pc from used a pirated copy
    >>of windows. So my PID# was invalid thus they hung up on me. Therefore if
    >>you
    >>need support on a Microsoft product make sure is not pirated and has a
    >>valid
    >>PID#.
    >>

    > Peter,
    > Pack that computer up in all the boxes it came in and bring it back where
    > you purchased it.
    > When the salesman asks you why you're returning it, tell him that you're
    > too stupid to own a
    > computer and you want a Gameboy instead. Oh, make sure he puts the
    > batteries in for you too.

    Me, your bottle and Pamper are ready for you and I know it's your time. You
    can take them both with you and you can either go lay down on your throw rug
    or stand in the corner.

    Daddy *D* ;-)

    Duane ;-\), Jun 1, 2005
  7. Peter Penner

    old jon Guest

    I`ve had winXP+SP2 installed for 9 months now. Sometimes when a program
    `plays up` you have to correct the problem. All I ever hear is, `I hate MS,
    I hate SP1, I hate SP2`. In your case all you had to do was, switch OFF
    windows firewall.You could of course reformat your hard drive and install
    Linux. There`s 250 of `em to choose from. best wishes..J %> )

    old jon, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Peter Penner

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Peter Penner" <> wrote:

    > Therefore if you
    >need support on a Microsoft product make sure is not pirated and has a valid
    >PID#.

    I suppose you would also expect a car dealer to give you warranty
    service on a new car that you stole from them?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Jun 1, 2005
  9. In news:CLane.12504$, Peter Penner
    <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the
    writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away,
    and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so
    placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    > I hate it! I had to uninstall it because after restarting my computer
    > after installing SP2 my internet connect on DSL wouldn't connect I
    > think its the firewall add-on that screws things up. I'd rather stick
    > to freedom firewall because its supported by bell so if it screws up
    > they can help you fix it. But with windows firewall you have to call
    > Microsoft, but believe this, for any kind of help, they ask for your
    > product id # for windows xp. Well all I wanted was to remove the damn
    > service pack but the told me they wouldn't help me because the
    > computer store I bought my pc from used a pirated copy of windows. So
    > my PID# was invalid thus they hung up on me. Therefore if you need
    > support on a Microsoft product make sure is not pirated and has a
    > valid PID#.

    I feel your pain ... though not with Windows XP SP-2. I think it's a great
    upgrade, except for one of my PC games not liking it for some reason and
    since the game is no longer under tech support by the manufacturer I'm
    pretty well toast.

    As to your issue with the shop ... I really DO feel your pain. I've got the
    exact same issue, but unlike you I can't do a damn thing about it. You can,
    as others have pointed out, go back tot he store and raise a fit. I only
    wish I could.

    And to those others reading this ... take note. Be NICE when ranting about
    people like Peter getting screwed with illegal copies! Sometimes people
    can't help the state they get into! Two years ago when I got this system
    with Windows XP on it I had no reason to suspect there was an issue. The
    entire setup for XP was placed on my 40GB HDD and I was told "we lost the
    original but you don't need it since there's a copy already on your C-drive
    and a copy of it with the CD-Key in your box of software." Well now 2 years
    later I'm wanting to complain because after trying to download Microshaft's
    free beta spyware removal tool I am not allowed because, lo and behold, the
    copy on my system is a pirated one. So why not go back to the store?
    Simple ... the store went out of business a year ago and there's no way to
    reach the original owner of the store according to the BBB in my area.

    So I am stuck unable to run Microshaft's Spyware removal tool because I am
    being punished by Bill-ionaire Gates for not questioning the guy 2 years
    ago. I know I should have smelled a rat and I know there should have been
    all kinds of red flags. But at $1300 for a really great system with decent
    video card, soundcard and 512MB RAM and top of the line parts I wasn't
    complaining back then. They obviously cut one corner ... the O/S. But now
    a year later Bill-ionaire Gates is not going to allow me diddly because I
    was more excited over a great system than worrying if the crap O/S was a
    "legal" Microsoft product or not. Please ... I'm sure my extra $99 didn't
    harm Gates' bankroll.

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, Jun 2, 2005
  10. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:

    > In news:CLane.12504$, Peter Penner
    > <> first attempted to communicate with pen, but the
    > writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it
    > away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded,
    > so placed fingers to keyboard for this:

    Please do not write attribution novels. Common usenet practice is one line.
    And no, it isn't even necessary to put the Xref: in there, because it's
    already in the message headers. Take a look at
    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html#Q6
    (it's just to show the common sense behind usenet "rules").
    > and a copy of it with the CD-Key in your box of software." Well now 2
    > years later I'm wanting to complain because after trying to download
    > Microshaft's free beta spyware removal tool I am not allowed because, lo
    > and behold, the
    > copy on my system is a pirated one. So why not go back to the store?
    > Simple ... the store went out of business a year ago and there's no way to
    > reach the original owner of the store according to the BBB in my area.

    Bad. But then, most laptop these days come only with a sort of recovery cd
    or even just a "recovery partition". It's really hard to distinguish from
    that, but you should have got the product serial with the hologram, and
    together with the bill stating you paid a license of the OS. If you contact
    your next Microsoft office providing that, I am almost certain they will
    help you with a legal version for no additional costs. It's their business
    to sue the shop owner - at least if it shows up he sold thousands of
    illegal copies, they will find a way to catch him.

    > So I am stuck unable to run Microshaft's Spyware removal tool because I am
    > being punished by Bill-ionaire Gates for not questioning the guy 2 years
    > ago. I know I should have smelled a rat and I know there should have been
    > all kinds of red flags. But at $1300 for a really great system with
    > decent video card, soundcard and 512MB RAM and top of the line parts I
    > wasn't
    > complaining back then. They obviously cut one corner ... the O/S. But
    > now a year later Bill-ionaire Gates is not going to allow me diddly
    > because I was more excited over a great system than worrying if the crap
    > O/S was a
    > "legal" Microsoft product or not. Please ... I'm sure my extra $99 didn't
    > harm Gates' bankroll.

    LOL. Apparently he didn't see that $99.
    Now (advocating linux) systems like yours - even with SATA and a decent
    graphic card - run perfectly with a recent linux distribution, and you can
    get it for free, including a 98% compatible openoffice, plus lots of other
    software. And it needs no virus scanner or spyware remover.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jun 2, 2005
  11. Peter Penner

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > And to those others reading this ... take note. Be NICE when ranting
    > about
    > people like Peter getting screwed with illegal copies! Sometimes people
    > can't help the state they get into! Two years ago when I got this system
    > with Windows XP on it I had no reason to suspect there was an issue. The
    > entire setup for XP was placed on my 40GB HDD and I was told "we lost the
    > original but you don't need it since there's a copy already on your
    > C-drive
    > and a copy of it with the CD-Key in your box of software." Well now 2
    > years later I'm wanting to complain because after trying to download
    > Microshaft's free beta spyware removal tool I am not allowed because, lo
    > and behold, the
    > copy on my system is a pirated one. So why not go back to the store?
    > Simple ... the store went out of business a year ago and there's no way to
    > reach the original owner of the store according to the BBB in my area.
    >
    > So I am stuck unable to run Microshaft's Spyware removal tool because I am
    > being punished by Bill-ionaire Gates for not questioning the guy 2 years
    > ago. I know I should have smelled a rat and I know there should have been
    > all kinds of red flags. But at $1300 for a really great system with
    > decent video card, soundcard and 512MB RAM and top of the line parts I
    > wasn't
    > complaining back then. They obviously cut one corner ... the O/S. But
    > now a year later Bill-ionaire Gates is not going to allow me diddly
    > because I was more excited over a great system than worrying if the crap
    > O/S was a
    > "legal" Microsoft product or not. Please ... I'm sure my extra $99 didn't
    > harm Gates' bankroll.

    The old WC Field's saying goes like this. There is a sucker born every
    minute. And when you were taken, how is it that it's someone else's fault?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 2, 2005
  12. Peter Penner

    Guest

    The solution is simple. Go buy a legal copy of XP.

    Microsoft has led the way in a technological miracle that has changed life
    as we know it for the better.

    If you had conceived and led the business that had change the world, and had
    gotten rich doing it, would you want people justifying themselves for
    stealing from you on the argument that you didn't need all your money?

    I am relatively poor, but I do not begrudge Gates his money. He has enriched
    my way of life, and he has provided jobs for thousands upon thousands of
    people.

    , Jun 2, 2005