    The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.

    So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    shit.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Jerry Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    > to any sucker willing to buy it.
    >
    > Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
    > 'cheap shit' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
    > on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
    > find out the burn is shit when you check the discs with something like
    > dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
    >
    > It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
    > middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
    > frisbee.
    >

    > The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
    >
    > So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    > shit.

    I have yet to burn a coaster with my 1633s. Don't know how different
    they are though

    Jerry, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:43:19 GMT, (Canon Paora
    Tikitiki) wrote:

    >If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    >to any sucker willing to buy it.
    >
    >Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
    >'cheap shit' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
    >on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
    >find out the burn is shit when you check the discs with something like
    >dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
    >
    >It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
    >middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
    >frisbee.
    >

    >The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
    >
    >So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >shit.

    Upgraded the firmware and software?

    GraB, Oct 8, 2005
  4. In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teranews>,
    says...

    > If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    > to any sucker willing to buy it.
    >
    > Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
    > 'cheap shit' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
    > on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
    > find out the burn is shit when you check the discs with something like
    > dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
    >
    > It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
    > middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
    > frisbee.
    >

    > The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
    >
    > So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    > shit.

    Conversely, my Pioneer drive always burns excellent disks, but it's
    effin useless as a DVD movie player - at the slightest provocation it
    turns up its little toes and locks up the software as well --- I went
    and bought a liteon dvd drive and that just soldiers on and reads the
    damn movie!

    LOL -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XP Guest

    wrote:

    >If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    >to any sucker willing to buy it.
    >
    >Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
    >'cheap shit' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
    >on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
    >find out the burn is shit when you check the discs with something like
    >dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
    >
    >It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
    >middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
    >frisbee.
    >

    >The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
    >
    >So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >shit.

    Have you updated the Firmware yet..?

    XP, Oct 8, 2005
  6. In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teranews>,
    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

    >So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >shit.

    I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
    a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
    ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
    was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
    too hard at the same time.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005
  7. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:31:13 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 02:43:19 GMT, (Canon Paora
    >Tikitiki) wrote:
    >

    >>If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    >>to any sucker willing to buy it.
    >>
    >>Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
    >>'cheap shit' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
    >>on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
    >>find out the burn is shit when you check the discs with something like
    >>dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
    >>
    >>It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
    >>middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
    >>frisbee.
    >>

    >>The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
    >>
    >>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >>shit.

    >Upgraded the firmware and software?

    Yep, I flashed it with the latest firmware - J0C. That did help with
    reading some discs that I was having problems reading.

    I flashed my Benq at the same time which also helped with reading
    discs.

    I've been using CloneDVD2 successfully with my Benq and 'falsely
    successfully' with the Liteon.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Oct 8, 2005
  8. On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:34:19 +1300, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teranews>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    >> to any sucker willing to buy it.
    >>
    >> Maybe it's more reliable with better media but my Benq handles the
    >> 'cheap shit' media without any immediate problems - the Liteon writes
    >> on the same media but with lots of errors and no warning - you only
    >> find out the burn is shit when you check the discs with something like
    >> dvdinfopro or kprobe or when try to read the discs.
    >>
    >> It would be more preferable if it 'chucked' out the discs in the
    >> middle of a burn instead of 'successfully' burning an error ridden
    >> frisbee.
    >>

    >> The liteon is also annoying slow to recognise discs.
    >>
    >> So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >> shit.
    >>

    >Conversely, my Pioneer drive always burns excellent disks, but it's
    >effin useless as a DVD movie player - at the slightest provocation it
    >turns up its little toes and locks up the software as well --- I went
    >and bought a liteon dvd drive and that just soldiers on and reads the
    >damn movie!
    >
    >LOL -Peter

    There's little doubt that my Liteon is a wonderful reader - when it
    finally wakes up and realises it has a job to do, that is. However my
    Liteon is a writer and it's that part that it's crap at.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Oct 8, 2005
  9. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:33:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teranews>,
    > (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:
    >
    >>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >>shit.

    >I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
    >a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
    >ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
    >was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
    >too hard at the same time.

    I admit that the discs I've been using are 'cheap shit' but my Benq
    manages to burn them 'error free' - the Liteon burned ONLY one out of
    12 discs without any errors. They're not really coasters - they're
    95% readable but the errors are usually huge blocks that make movies
    stall for a long time or stop until I press the 'next chapter' button.

    I burned heaps of discs successfully with the Benq on a p2 333 machine
    from files on a clacky harddrive that sounds like it's going to crap
    out any minute and the Liteon is writing bad discs on a Celeron 2.4
    with a HD that sounds in better condition and nothing else is being
    done on that machine while discs are being burned.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Oct 8, 2005
  10. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    Andrew Guest

    Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:33:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teranews>,
    >> (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:
    >>

    >>>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >>>shit.

    >>I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
    >>a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
    >>ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
    >>was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
    >>too hard at the same time.

    > I admit that the discs I've been using are 'cheap shit' but my Benq
    > manages to burn them 'error free' - the Liteon burned ONLY one out of
    > 12 discs without any errors. They're not really coasters - they're
    > 95% readable but the errors are usually huge blocks that make movies
    > stall for a long time or stop until I press the 'next chapter' button.
    >
    > I burned heaps of discs successfully with the Benq on a p2 333 machine
    > from files on a clacky harddrive that sounds like it's going to crap
    > out any minute and the Liteon is writing bad discs on a Celeron 2.4
    > with a HD that sounds in better condition and nothing else is being
    > done on that machine while discs are being burned.

    Thats the same problem i had with a samsung dvd writer - Went back to
    the benq :)

    Andrew, Oct 8, 2005
  11. In article <1128771991.467c8f8b96222b61d1fe6077e659eff5@teranews>,
    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:33:58 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <1128739430.6643f3ed46837c8be22d66c67de0a9fe@teranews>,
    >> (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:
    >>
    >>>So be warned people - the Liteon 1673s is a piece of fucken usless
    >>>shit.

    >>I have a LiteOn, which cdrecord reports is a "LDW-451S". In the year and
    >>a bit that I've had it, the only time it's made coasters was a few days
    >>ago, when it took several attempts to burn a DVD. Not sure why that
    >>was--perhaps I was trying to do other things that were hitting the disk
    >>too hard at the same time.

    >I admit that the discs I've been using are 'cheap shit' but my Benq
    >manages to burn them 'error free' - the Liteon burned ONLY one out of
    >12 discs without any errors. They're not really coasters - they're
    >95% readable but the errors are usually huge blocks that make movies
    >stall for a long time or stop until I press the 'next chapter' button.

    See, I would never use such "cheap shit" discs--I figure my data is too
    valuable for that. Better to spend a little bit extra on some peace of
    mind up front, rather than suffer the tears later when some important
    stuff can no longer be read.

    >I burned heaps of discs successfully with the Benq on a p2 333 machine
    >from files on a clacky harddrive that sounds like it's going to crap
    >out any minute and the Liteon is writing bad discs on a Celeron 2.4
    >with a HD that sounds in better condition and nothing else is being
    >done on that machine while discs are being burned.

    I hope you're not using that clacky hard drive any more! I would throw
    it out immediately.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2005
  12. >>I admit that the discs I've been using are 'cheap shit' but my Benq
    >>manages to burn them 'error free' - the Liteon burned ONLY one out of
    >>12 discs without any errors. They're not really coasters - they're
    >>95% readable but the errors are usually huge blocks that make movies
    >>stall for a long time or stop until I press the 'next chapter' button.

    >See, I would never use such "cheap shit" discs--I figure my data is too
    >valuable for that. Better to spend a little bit extra on some peace of
    >mind up front, rather than suffer the tears later when some important
    >stuff can no longer be read.

    I've never had problems with cheap media apart from one cdr which
    became difficult to read but I was able to copy it before it became
    totally unreadable. I do make occasional coasters that are often due
    to the exceptional bad quality of the discs - a little earlier my benq
    'spat out' a disc from the same spindle that I was getting bad results
    with my Liteon. Unfortunately the Liteon 'fakes' successful burns
    rather than let you know you're feeding it shit discs to burn.

    Most of my discs are made for my convenience rather than out of
    neccesity and it's not so much a disaster for me if I can't read any
    of them but more a nuisance. I'm willing to take the chance that I
    will recieve a warning if any of them are becoming less readible and
    will more than likely be able to rewrite them if I need to.

    >>I burned heaps of discs successfully with the Benq on a p2 333 machine
    >>from files on a clacky harddrive that sounds like it's going to crap
    >>out any minute and the Liteon is writing bad discs on a Celeron 2.4
    >>with a HD that sounds in better condition and nothing else is being
    >>done on that machine while discs are being burned.

    >I hope you're not using that clacky hard drive any more! I would throw
    >it out immediately.

    Nah, the clacky ( more a grinding sound really ) drive is just for
    temporary stuff and it doesn't hold anything that can't be replaced.

    I just don't trust the Liteon - not only do I need to pay extra for
    better quality discs but I will always feel the need to check that the
    burn is absolutely successful - seems pointless having 16x drives if
    you have to spend the extra time verifying that that it hasn't made a
    crap partly unreadible disc.

    Canon Paora Tikitiki, Oct 9, 2005
  13. In article <1128826337.d158cff50b85e7e286d03784d939d578@teranews>,
    (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote:

    >I just don't trust the Liteon - not only do I need to pay extra for
    >better quality discs but I will always feel the need to check that the
    >burn is absolutely successful

    That's what I *always* do anyway.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2005
  14. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    XPD Guest

    "Canon Paora Tikitiki" <> wrote in message

    > If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    > to any sucker willing to buy it.

    Id have to disagree.
    Ive got the same model and have had no issues with it at all, very rare I
    end up with coasters with CDR or DVD media, no matter what brand.
    Maybe you got a bum one...

    XPD, Oct 9, 2005
  15. Canon Paora Tikitiki

    ardz Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "Canon Paora Tikitiki" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > If I was a bad person I would sell the shitty fucken thing on Trademe
    > > to any sucker willing to buy it.

    > Id have to disagree.
    > Ive got the same model and have had no issues with it at all, very rare I
    > end up with coasters with CDR or DVD media, no matter what brand.
    > Maybe you got a bum one...

    I have a 1673 as well and have had no problems but use only Imation or TDK
    discs. Havent tried "el cheapo" discs but the imation discs are quite cheap
    from Hardly Normals so i usually grab those.

    ardz, Oct 9, 2005