I hate asking this...but

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dennis Gordon, Sep 10, 2005.

  1. At the risk of sounding like a newb, or inflaming the more sensitive
    types...

    I've been planning a new build around a 3800 X2 and that spiffy cheap ASRock
    ULI1695 board. I've always built Intel, but the repeated warnings on
    Smithfield heating issues has put me off.

    I've been reading up all I can on the dual cores, and while everyone loves
    the X2s, it seems that it's all about games, games, games.

    This new build is for work. Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat...etc.

    Okay, maybe solitaire.

    The benches that I've seen show the 830EE outperforming the 3800 X2 in those
    areas of content creation that I use. I don't care about FPS, Doom, Quake
    KOTOR etc. I need graphic processing power.

    The nice thing is, my company pays for the parts. I could order what I want
    within reason and do another build in a few months if I want. Foretunately
    for them I'm not into pissing money away, even if it's not mine.

    So my question is: for my XP64 needs would the 830EE be a better fit than
    the 3800 X2? I'm guessing that the AMD chip might have a better upgrade
    future, but I'd like some calm advice.

    I want to order by the end of the month.

    Thanks...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 10, 2005

  2. Dennis Gordon

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Dennis;

    The only benchmark that the 830 beats the AMD in is in the video render,
    and that is only because that particular test was written *for the P4 and
    Hyperthreading*. Since most video apps are *NOT* written to take advantage
    of hyperthreading, the test is not a valid indicator. A more accurate
    comparison is when the video render app is not hyperthreading aware...the
    AMD outperforms the Intel.

    Add to that that the current crop of Intel Dual-Core procs are not *true*
    dual core...they cannot see or communicate with each other directly. They
    must go out through the Northbridge chipset to communicate with each other.
    Which brings up the point that the Intel Dual Core are still hobbled with a
    sloooowwww Northbridge chipset, do not have Direct Connect Architecture, do
    not use Hypertransport, and the L1 (data) and L2 caches are inclusive
    (meaning the same data is kept in both, reducing the effective L2 cache by
    the size of the L1 (data).

    You are far better off going with the AMD.

    Bobby

    ((((NOTE)))) To all the Lamers and Flamers out there who think Intel is
    God...I will not read your useless rants...

    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 10, 2005

  3. If the company is paying for it, I'd go with a dual core, dual opteron model
    myself. ;) With lots and lots of RAM. But on a more reasonable level, I
    would probably pop for the 4200 not the 3800 -- I think it's the sweet spot
    of price/performance right now.

    I had nothing but intel until x64. I haven't bought an intel x64 yet, though
    the next one I buy may be, just for balance. I would really like to get one
    of these boxes moved to dual core but other than that, I've been happy.

    On the Uli chipset -- Since no one has used one here yet, I'd be pretty
    leary. And we really don't have a clue about the driver and bios situation.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 10, 2005
  4. If you go towards the end of this looonnnngg thread, you'll see some reports
    of ULI 1695 users. There's a 1.20 BIOS that apparently has cleared up some
    early issues.

    http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=30;t=004749

    The 4200 does look nice, but right now $400 is my sweet spot, so I'd like to
    see it drop a bit in the next few weeks...

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Well, I'd still go for the 4200. Yes, it's a bit more. But not all that
    much. Now I'd love a pair of dual opterons, but that's not on my budget. But
    I might just squeeze the 4200. (and I don't have a company to buy it, plus I
    have to pay Canadian prices.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64