    has since been upgraded.

    What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    (if any) can I expect from it?
    william mook, Oct 9, 2004

  2. william mook

    DC Guest

    DC, Oct 9, 2004

  3. william mook

    Guest

    I'll be watching for your answer to your questions? Interesting!!

    Joe
    , Oct 9, 2004
  4. william mook wrote:
    > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
    > an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
    > Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
    > has since been upgraded.
    >
    > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    > (if any) can I expect from it?

    What are the needs for an ISP in your area? How much could you charge
    and expect people to sign up? Are there any of the sub-$10/mo ISPs
    operating there? Do you have experience running an ISP? I could go on.
    Owning a few pieces of equipment is a long way from having a business
    plan. Read everything you possibly can at this site:
    http://www.isp-planet.com/
    especially at this link:
    http://isp-planet.com/business/index.html#plan
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 9, 2004
  5. william mook wrote:

    > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
    > an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
    > Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
    > has since been upgraded.

    > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    > (if any) can I expect from it?

    1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area don't?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 9, 2004
  6. william mook

    SgtMinor Guest

    That's 'inside-out' thinking, and rarely a succesful business concept.
    "I've got a pickup truck and a lawn mower, should I go into the
    landscaping business?"

    'Outside-in' thinking, where you develop a service based on a perceived
    need, has a greater chance of success.

    As for returns, you'll need to develop a business plan.

    And the system you bought was not 'upgraded' but deemed obsolete.

    --
    "But if you're in my area, I might sign up."

    SgtMinor, Oct 10, 2004
  7. william mook

    Toolman Tim Guest

    SgtMinor, your final statement is the best advice given yet - after all, if
    someone *else* found it to be no longer up to the task, why expect it to be
    anything practical for this purpose?

    In my opinion, the competition for his proposed ISP is probably too steep
    for customers to want to pay even a budget price for service provided by
    out-of-date equipment.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 10, 2004
  8. william mook

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, william
    mook says...
    > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
    > an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
    > Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
    > has since been upgraded.
    >
    > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    > (if any) can I expect from it?

    It'd need shitloads of bandwidth for a start, i.e a T1 or T3 line.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 10, 2004
  9. william mook

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Blinky the
    Shark says...
    > william mook wrote:
    >
    > > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
    > > an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
    > > Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
    > > has since been upgraded.

    > > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    > > (if any) can I expect from it?

    > 1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area don't?

    Excellent bandwidth provided by his 1MB DSL...

    Conor, Oct 10, 2004
  10. william mook

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| In article <>, Blinky
    >| the Shark says...

    >| > 1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area
    >| > don't?
    >| >
    >| Excellent bandwidth provided by his 1MB DSL...

    <vbg>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Oct 10, 2004
  11. DC wrote:

    > Who are you talking to?

    His post is directly under the original, so... figure it out.
    Bruce the Shark, Oct 10, 2004
  12. Conor wrote:
    > In article <>, Blinky the
    > Shark says...
    >> william mook wrote:

    >> > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
    >> > an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
    >> > Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
    >> > has since been upgraded.

    >> > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    >> > (if any) can I expect from it?

    >> 1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area don't?

    > Excellent bandwidth provided by his 1MB DSL...

    2. Days of experience as an ISP!

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 10, 2004
  13. william mook

    Dan Evans Guest

    "william mook" <> wrote in message

    > What would it take to turn this into an ISP

    A hell of a lot more.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 10, 2004
  14. william mook

    Jim Berwick Guest

    (william mook) wrote in

    > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    > (if any) can I expect from it?

    What it would take:
    A modem or two
    Couple of phone lines
    Some type of T level net connection for your server

    Then you have a 2 modem ISP, you can support 2 simultaneous users at
    once!

    Realistically, to be your own small ISP, you'll need a modem bank, couple
    of servers, and some type of T level access for your servers. Return?
    Little for you. I hear my employers make it pretty good, that's with
    selling like, 26,000 dialup accounts, a couple hundred DSL accounts, and
    a maybe 1000 or more business accounts (either some type of hosting, web,
    email, etc, or leasing of 1 or more T1 lines).
    Jim Berwick, Oct 10, 2004
  15. william mook

    DC Guest

    Bruce the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> Who are you talking to?

    > His post is directly under the original, so... figure it out.

    *sigh*

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
    of nothing.
    DC, Oct 10, 2004
  16. DC wrote:

    >>> Who are you talking to?

    >> His post is directly under the original, so... figure it out.

    > *sigh*

    Oh shut up.
    Bruce the Shark, Oct 10, 2004
  17. william mook

    DC Guest

    **** you, soup starter.

    DC, Oct 11, 2004
  18. DC wrote:

    > Bruce the Shark wrote:

    >>> *sigh*

    >> Oh shut up.

    > **** you, soup starter.

    I like it. What's a soup starter? Hafta know before I use it. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 11, 2004
  19. william mook

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    >> Bruce the Shark wrote:

    >>> Oh shut up.

    >> **** you, soup starter.

    > I like it. What's a soup starter? Hafta know before I use it. :)

    re: fin

    After Bruce is done boiling his head, we should have a nice broth to
    work with.

    DC, Oct 11, 2004
  20. DC wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> DC wrote:

    >>> **** you, soup starter.

    >> I like it. What's a soup starter? Hafta know before I use it. :)

    > re: fin

    Hey! Well, I won't be using that, after all. :)

    > After Bruce is done boiling his head, we should have a nice broth to
    > work with.

    We're from different schools.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 11, 2004