    allows upconversion. Trouble is, if I rent, I hardly ever buy. These
    companies that do stupid thing like this are going to be the losers.

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Alfred Kaufmann wrote:
    > I was going to sit on the side lines and wait for the cheapest high
    > def player to win the battle and until then be happy purchasing plain
    > DVDs and my Toshiba HD DVD player would upconvert to 1080i. Today I
    > saw Spiderman 3 in the stores and they had the DVD and Blu-Ray DVD
    > which I can't use. I bought the DVD and was going to settle in for
    > the evening and enjoy the movie upconverted to 1080i. All of a sudden
    > the player reported that this DVD does not allow upconversion and it
    > will only allow me to watch it in 480p. I am tempted to package it up
    > again and demand a refund! I know how these stores LOVE that.

    ....Bummer, huh? :)

    I'd check on whether the DVD upconverts to 1080 on my Blu-ray PS3,
    but...well, turns out I rented the Spiderman 3 on Blu anyway.

    Derek Janssen (there's still time to defect)

    Derek Janssen, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Alfred Kaufmann

    elnac Guest

    Looks like you need a different player, I bought the Spiderman 3 SE version
    and was able to upconvert it in my player.

    elnac, Oct 31, 2007
  4. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 02:57:51 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Alfred Kaufmann wrote:
    >> I was going to sit on the side lines and wait for the cheapest high
    >> def player to win the battle and until then be happy purchasing plain
    >> DVDs and my Toshiba HD DVD player would upconvert to 1080i. Today I
    >> saw Spiderman 3 in the stores and they had the DVD and Blu-Ray DVD
    >> which I can't use. I bought the DVD and was going to settle in for
    >> the evening and enjoy the movie upconverted to 1080i. All of a sudden
    >> the player reported that this DVD does not allow upconversion and it
    >> will only allow me to watch it in 480p. I am tempted to package it up
    >> again and demand a refund! I know how these stores LOVE that.

    >...Bummer, huh? :)
    >
    >I'd check on whether the DVD upconverts to 1080 on my Blu-ray PS3,
    >but...well, turns out I rented the Spiderman 3 on Blu anyway.

    How would you do that, it is not mentioned on the outside of the
    package that the DVD prohibits upconversion?

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Oct 31, 2007
  5. What sort of player do you have?

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Alfred Kaufmann

    Guest

    I "have" seen some players with the following disclaimer (in their
    documentation) in regards to upconversion:

    Component output for CSS-encrypted DVD discs (almost all commercially
    pressed DVD discs) is limited to 480i/480p only.

    Of course that may NOT be enforced by the actual software in the
    machine. It appears that your machine IS enforcing it.

    Perhaps your player will only upconvert via the HDMI cable.

    Regards,

    Eugene Pokopac Lawrenceville GA

    , Oct 31, 2007
  7. Alfred Kaufmann

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:
    > How would you do that, it is not mentioned on the outside of the
    > package that the DVD prohibits upconversion?

    It's not the DVDs themselves - it's the dumbass player.

    Some players that do upscaling, won't do it over the component video
    connection...which begs the question, why buy an upscaling DVD player at
    all if you don't have a HDMI-enabled TV?

    Even then, the HDTV has its own upscaler, so even if player only does 480p
    to the TV, the TV will upscale it to whatever its native resolution is.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Oct 31, 2007
  8. Alfred Kaufmann

    Tarkus Guest

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:
    >> How would you do that, it is not mentioned on the outside of the
    >> package that the DVD prohibits upconversion?

    > It's not the DVDs themselves - it's the dumbass player.
    >
    > Some players that do upscaling, won't do it over the component video
    > connection...which begs the question, why buy an upscaling DVD player at
    > all if you don't have a HDMI-enabled TV?

    Probably because it's become virtually a standard option on any decent
    DVD player (and many not so decent players) these days, and apparently
    adds very little to the cost.

    And there is always future-proofing.

    Tarkus, Nov 1, 2007
  9. Alfred Kaufmann

    elnac Guest

    I have an OPPO DV-970HD
    which I bought from oppodigital.com

    elnac, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Alfred Kaufmann

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:55:07 -0700, Alfred Kaufmann wrote:

    > I was going to sit on the side lines and wait for the cheapest high
    > def player to win the battle and until then be happy purchasing plain
    > DVDs and my Toshiba HD DVD player would upconvert to 1080i. Today I
    > saw Spiderman 3 in the stores and they had the DVD and Blu-Ray DVD
    > which I can't use. I bought the DVD and was going to settle in for
    > the evening and enjoy the movie upconverted to 1080i. All of a sudden
    > the player reported that this DVD does not allow upconversion and it
    > will only allow me to watch it in 480p.

    I just got this DVD from Netflix and it upscales ok on my Panasonic S77 DVD
    player.

    Just feed your HD TV the 480p signal and it should upscale it to its native
    resolution.

    Kuskokwim, Nov 1, 2007
  11. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:57:37 -0000, Doug Jacobs
    <> wrote:

    >Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:
    >> How would you do that, it is not mentioned on the outside of the
    >> package that the DVD prohibits upconversion?

    >It's not the DVDs themselves - it's the dumbass player.

    The dumbass player, a Toshiba HD-A2, tells me this "DVD Prohibits
    Upconversion"

    >Some players that do upscaling, won't do it over the component video
    >connection...which begs the question, why buy an upscaling DVD player at
    >all if you don't have a HDMI-enabled TV?

    It is connected to a Sony XBR via an HDMI cable. All the DVDs I have
    tried so far were upconverted to 1080i withou a problem.

    >Even then, the HDTV has its own upscaler, so even if player only does 480p
    >to the TV, the TV will upscale it to whatever its native resolution is.

    It looked good despite the fact that the player would not upconvert
    it.

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Nov 1, 2007
  12. Oops! Sorry I must apologize for my previous message. I just checked
    the connection for the cable player and the HDMI cable was tranferred
    a couple of days ago to a new cable box and component video connection
    was hooked up to the DVD player - I will correct that and hope it
    works. I shall report the results here. Thanks!

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Nov 1, 2007
  13. Thanks everybody, changing the player back to the HDMI cable solved
    the problem.

    Al

    Alfred Kaufmann, Nov 1, 2007
  14. Alfred Kaufmann

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Tarkus <> wrote:

    > Probably because it's become virtually a standard option on any decent
    > DVD player (and many not so decent players) these days, and apparently
    > adds very little to the cost.

    > And there is always future-proofing.

    OK, there's that. However I'm guessing his old DVD player also supported
    progressive scan, and since his TV doesn't support HDMI, the difference
    between his old and new DVD players is going to be slim to none.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Nov 1, 2007
  15. Alfred Kaufmann

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:
    > Oops! Sorry I must apologize for my previous message. I just checked
    > the connection for the cable player and the HDMI cable was tranferred
    > a couple of days ago to a new cable box and component video connection
    > was hooked up to the DVD player - I will correct that and hope it
    > works. I shall report the results here. Thanks!

    No problem, and as was pointed out, it's also the dumb-ass DVD (or more
    specifically, the copy protection on said DVD) that is partially to blame
    too.

    Good luck.

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Nov 1, 2007
  16. Alfred Kaufmann

    Guest

    On Oct 30, 10:55 pm, Alfred Kaufmann <> wrote:
    > I was going to sit on the side lines and wait for the cheapest high
    > def player to win the battle and until then be happy purchasing plain
    > DVDs and my Toshiba HD DVD player would upconvert to 1080i. Today I
    > saw Spiderman 3 in the stores and they had the DVD and Blu-Ray DVD
    > which I can't use. I bought the DVD and was going to settle in for
    > the evening and enjoy the movie upconverted to 1080i. All of a sudden
    > the player reported that this DVD does not allow upconversion and it
    > will only allow me to watch it in 480p. I am tempted to package it up
    > again and demand a refund! I know how these stores LOVE that.

    ....and that is just the kind of control-freak shit that Sony is
    notorious for, and which you can expect to see a lot more of if Sony's
    blu-ray format wins the format war (God forbid). Sony are just waiting
    for blu-ray to become the only HD format, so they can make their big
    move (requiring players to have an internet connection to play their
    discs).

    -Eric

    , Nov 2, 2007