    I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that IE
    works with?

    Anybody know anything about this?
    James, Jan 6, 2005

  2. James

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:29:42 -0000, James wrote:

    >Hai
    >
    >I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that IE

    You mean v1.0 rather than one of the latest nightly builds?

    >works with?
    >
    >Anybody know anything about this?

    You wouldn't happen to have forgotten to give any URLs so some
    suggestions could be made?

    It could be any features you haven't enabled - Javascript, Java, Broken
    HTML, DHTML, Bad design using IE only specific features? Something
    blocked by your firewall software / FF like popups and so on.

    Try the FF kb/support/bug tracking forum / maling list and newsgroups
    anf FAQs.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Mozilla_Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

    Me
    why?, Jan 6, 2005

  3. James

    Richard Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:29:42 -0000 James wrote:

    > Hai

    > I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that
    > IE
    > works with?

    > Anybody know anything about this?

    That's probably due to the fact that firefox gets things right where IE
    fails.
    IE doesn't understand what to do with "Png" image layering, but firefox
    does.
    Take one of your sites that won't open in firefox and put it through
    www.validator.w3.org
    You'll probably get a ton of errors.
    Also, if the site is using visual basic script, it won't work in firefox.
    There are many things that will only work in IE.
    Richard, Jan 6, 2005
  4. James

    James Guest

    > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:29:42 -0000 James wrote:
    >
    >> Hai

    >> I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that
    >> IE
    >> works with?

    >> Anybody know anything about this?

    > That's probably due to the fact that firefox gets things right where IE
    > fails.

    That seems to me that it should be said "firefox fails" when IE works.If a
    person builds a bad website I do not want to be "stopped from viewing it".

    > IE doesn't understand what to do with "Png" image layering, but firefox>
    > does.
    > Take one of your sites that won't open in firefox and put it through
    > www.validator.w3.org

    > You'll probably get a ton of errors.
    > Also, if the site is using visual basic script, it won't work in firefox.
    > There are many things that will only work in IE.

    Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work on
    properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    better.

    James, Jan 6, 2005
  5. James

    Guest

    James wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:29:42 -0000 James wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hai

    > >> I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that
    > >> IE
    > >> works with?

    > >> Anybody know anything about this?

    > > That's probably due to the fact that firefox gets things right where IE
    > > fails.

    > That seems to me that it should be said "firefox fails" when IE works.If a
    > person builds a bad website I do not want to be "stopped from viewing it".
    >
    > > IE doesn't understand what to do with "Png" image layering, but firefox>
    > > does.
    > > Take one of your sites that won't open in firefox and put it through
    > > www.validator.w3.org

    > > You'll probably get a ton of errors.
    > > Also, if the site is using visual basic script, it won't work in firefox.
    > > There are many things that will only work in IE.

    > Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work on
    > properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    > browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    > could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    > better.

    http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://sillydog.org/
    http://mozilla.org

    For more help.

    LB
    , Jan 6, 2005
  6. James

    gb Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > Hai

    > Anybody know anything about this?

    Yes.
    gb, Jan 6, 2005
  7. James wrote:

    > Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work on
    > properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    > browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    > could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    > better.

    The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  8. James

    Barry Guest

    Hello james, I'm glad you asked that question, I was thinking about going to
    firefox, but after reading the answers you got from your question, I don't
    think so,,,,

    Barry, Jan 7, 2005
  9. James

    James Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > James wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work
    >> on
    >> properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    >> browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    >> could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    >> better.

    > The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    I understand that but still it means that it kind of forces you to use IE.
    Unless you want to avoid seeing all websites because they might not have
    made them properly.
    James, Jan 7, 2005
  10. James

    James Guest

    "Barry" <> wrote in message
    > Hello james, I'm glad you asked that question, I was thinking about going
    > to firefox, but after reading the answers you got from your question, I
    > don't think so,,,,

    I honestly can see where people are comming from when they say that its the
    fault of the website designers, I understand that, and also it is a problem
    that is associated with IE being the dominant player.

    I didn't find this happened with Opera. Apart from that it is an absolute
    beauty to use, lovely and clear and quite fast. But for me I have to stick
    with an IE based browser or Opera as my main browser, although I'll keep it
    on my computer to see if it was a "one off".

    James, Jan 7, 2005
  11. James

    Guest

    James wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > > James wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work
    > >> on
    > >> properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    > >> browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    > >> could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    > >> better.

    > > The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    > I understand that but still it means that it kind of forces you to use IE.
    > Unless you want to avoid seeing all websites because they might not have
    > made them properly.

    Many folks use FireFox as their main browser but keep IE available in
    case a site must use IE. Also use IE to get MS updates. It is NOT a
    pure either / or situation and when places like Penn State tell users to
    avoid IE then FireFox is to be considered.

    LB
    , Jan 7, 2005
  12. James

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: I found firefox doesn't open some websites??
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => James <= wrote:

    >I didn't find this happened with Opera. Apart from that it is an absolute
    >beauty to use, lovely and clear and quite fast. But for me I have to stick
    >with an IE based browser or Opera as my main browser, although I'll keep it
    >on my computer to see if it was a "one off".

    Or, Off By One:
    http://www.offbyone.com/

    The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest web browser
    with full HTML 3.2 support. It is a completely self-contained, stand-alone 1.1MB
    application with no dependencies on any other browser or browser component. For
    Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Jan 7, 2005
  13. James

    Plato Guest

    James wrote:

    > I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that IE
    > works with?

    Some people only make their sites readable for IE users. Silly.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 7, 2005
  14. James

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:16:26 -0000, James wrote:

    >"Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> James wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work
    >>> on
    >>> properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    >>> browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    >>> could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    >>> better.

    >> The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    >I understand that but still it means that it kind of forces you to use IE.
    >Unless you want to avoid seeing all websites because they might not have
    >made them properly.

    That's the whole point, lots of crap web design tools, some OS'es even
    came with 'express versions' of site design tools (with incomplete HTML
    support , in some cases HTML2/3.2 some fairy story made up commands and
    no or poor 4.x even after several versions) and many lazy and ignorant
    authors and specification requirements. On top of that mismatch in
    design tools the browser support is poor in many cases.

    I have a site in XHTML1.1 + CSS 1 and 2, every page validates however I
    (URL won't be provided) have to leave the default for the server sending
    the pages out as HTML. If I do the correct thing and setup XHTML MIME
    type then MS IE tries to save it and it never tries to render it.

    Me
    why?, Jan 7, 2005
  15. James wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> James wrote:

    >>> Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work
    >>> on
    >>> properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    >>> browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    >>> could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    >>> better.

    >> The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.

    > I understand that but still it means that it kind of forces you to use IE.

    Kind of no. I don't have IE installed.

    > Unless you want to avoid seeing all websites because they might not have
    > made them properly.

    When I hit a problem site, I go elsewhere. I don't have to do that very
    often.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Barry wrote:

    > Hello james, I'm glad you asked that question, I was thinking about going to
    > firefox, but after reading the answers you got from your question, I don't
    > think so,,,,

    Well, then you didn't read many of them or read them very well.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  17. why? wrote:

    > That's the whole point, lots of crap web design tools, some OS'es even
    > came with 'express versions' of site design tools (with incomplete HTML
    > support , in some cases HTML2/3.2 some fairy story made up commands and
    > no or poor 4.x even after several versions) and many lazy and ignorant
    > authors and specification requirements. On top of that mismatch in
    > design tools the browser support is poor in many cases.

    > I have a site in XHTML1.1 + CSS 1 and 2, every page validates however I

    Hey, that's where I am, too. You go.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  18. G Morgan wrote:

    > The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest web browser
    > with full HTML 3.2 support. It is a completely self-contained, stand-alone 1.1MB
    > application with no dependencies on any other browser or browser component. For
    > Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

    How is it with CSS? XHTML?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  19. James

    Wanderer Guest

    "James" <> wrote:

    >"Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> James wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work
    >>> on
    >>> properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    >>> browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    >>> could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    >>> better.

    >> The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    >I understand that but still it means that it kind of forces you to use IE.
    >Unless you want to avoid seeing all websites because they might not have
    >made them properly.

    The world works well together or not. If the trusty rifle doesn't work
    on occasion, every great hunter carries the back-up pistol. Every
    soldier in the field a knife/bayonet, etc etc et al.

    I keep 5 browsers under the hood, each best suited for the terrain I
    plan to cover.

    Each of those companies Desire to know what makes them better than the
    other and I like to keep them guessing.

    Just me.
    Wanderer, Jan 7, 2005
  20. James

    Parko Guest

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:29:42 +0000, James wrote:

    > Hai
    >
    > I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that IE
    > works with?
    >
    > Anybody know anything about this?

    Tools > User Agent Switcher.

    --