I found a sony digital camera..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PitR, Nov 1, 2006.

  1. PitR

    PitR Guest

    Hi all..

    Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    condition..

    It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..

    Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    its CD..

    Amazing stuff.

    Anyway.. I'll be taking it in to a repair shop and see if there's
    anything wrong with it.

    What is this camera like?
    Has a 5mp sensor and a carl-zeiss lens, and on paper it seems
    respectable..

    PitR, Nov 1, 2006

  2. PitR

    David Guest

    PitR wrote:
    > Hi all..
    >
    > Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    > It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    > condition..
    >
    > It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    > it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..
    >
    > Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    > its CD..
    >
    > Amazing stuff.
    >
    > Anyway.. I'll be taking it in to a repair shop and see if there's
    > anything wrong with it.
    >
    > What is this camera like?
    > Has a 5mp sensor and a carl-zeiss lens, and on paper it seems
    > respectable..

    Have you considered maybe trying to locate/notify the owner ?

    David, Nov 2, 2006

  3. PitR

    minnesotti Guest

    David wrote:
    > PitR wrote:
    > > Hi all..
    > >
    > > Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    > > It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    > > condition..
    > >
    > > It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    > > it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..
    > >
    > > Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    > > its CD..
    > >
    > > Amazing stuff.
    > >
    > > Anyway.. I'll be taking it in to a repair shop and see if there's
    > > anything wrong with it.
    > >
    > > What is this camera like?
    > > Has a 5mp sensor and a carl-zeiss lens, and on paper it seems
    > > respectable..
    > >

    > Have you considered maybe trying to locate/notify the owner ?

    Once I found the stuff on the street and returned it to the owner. He
    accused that it was me who stole it, abused me and punched me. Since
    then I never return the stuff which I find. I rather let it lay where I
    found it and let it rot.

    minnesotti, Nov 2, 2006
  4. PitR

    Paul Heslop Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > David wrote:
    > > PitR wrote:
    > > > Hi all..
    > > >
    > > > Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    > > > It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    > > > condition..
    > > >
    > > > It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    > > > it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..
    > > >
    > > > Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    > > > its CD..
    > > >
    > > > Amazing stuff.
    > > >
    > > > Anyway.. I'll be taking it in to a repair shop and see if there's
    > > > anything wrong with it.
    > > >
    > > > What is this camera like?
    > > > Has a 5mp sensor and a carl-zeiss lens, and on paper it seems
    > > > respectable..
    > > >

    > > Have you considered maybe trying to locate/notify the owner ?

    > Once I found the stuff on the street and returned it to the owner. He
    > accused that it was me who stole it, abused me and punched me. Since
    > then I never return the stuff which I find. I rather let it lay where I
    > found it and let it rot.

    In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Nov 2, 2006
  5. PitR

    MaryL Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > minnesotti wrote:
    >>
    >> David wrote:

    >> > Have you considered maybe trying to locate/notify the owner ?

    >> Once I found the stuff on the street and returned it to the owner. He
    >> accused that it was me who stole it, abused me and punched me. Since
    >> then I never return the stuff which I find. I rather let it lay where I
    >> found it and let it rot.

    > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    > address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    > be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.
    >
    > --
    > Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    That's also how it is *supposed* to happen in the US.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  6. PitR

    minnesotti Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > minnesotti wrote:
    > >
    > > David wrote:

    > > > Have you considered maybe trying to locate/notify the owner ?

    > > Once I found the stuff on the street and returned it to the owner. He
    > > accused that it was me who stole it, abused me and punched me. Since
    > > then I never return the stuff which I find. I rather let it lay where I
    > > found it and let it rot.

    > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    > address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    > be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.

    I suggest you to conduct an experiment. Take your camera to the police
    station, and tell 'em you found it. Then wait and see if they
    eventually give the camera to you. You know that the camera is yours,
    thus nobody would be able to claim that they lost this camera, right
    ????

    minnesotti, Nov 2, 2006
  7. PitR

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:23:01 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:

    > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    > address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    > be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.

    12 months for most objects but can be as little as 1 month.
    --
    Neil
    swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 2, 2006
  8. PitR

    Paul Heslop Guest

    MaryL wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > minnesotti wrote:

    > >> Once I found the stuff on the street and returned it to the owner. He
    > >> accused that it was me who stole it, abused me and punched me. Since
    > >> then I never return the stuff which I find. I rather let it lay where I
    > >> found it and let it rot.

    > > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    > > address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    > > be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
    > > Stop and Look
    > > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    > That's also how it is *supposed* to happen in the US.
    >
    > MaryL

    ooh, I like that 'supposed' :O)

    Paul Heslop, Nov 2, 2006
  9. PitR

    Paul Heslop Guest

    minnesotti wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > minnesotti wrote:

    > > > Once I found the stuff on the street and returned it to the owner. He
    > > > accused that it was me who stole it, abused me and punched me. Since
    > > > then I never return the stuff which I find. I rather let it lay where I
    > > > found it and let it rot.

    > > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    > > address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    > > be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.

    > I suggest you to conduct an experiment. Take your camera to the police
    > station, and tell 'em you found it. Then wait and see if they
    > eventually give the camera to you. You know that the camera is yours,
    > thus nobody would be able to claim that they lost this camera, right
    > ????

    heh, yeah right :O)

    Paul Heslop, Nov 2, 2006
  10. PitR

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:23:01 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >

    > > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and
    > > address etc and if the item/s are not claimed and do not turn out to
    > > be stolen you receive them at the end of a set time.

    > 12 months for most objects but can be as little as 1 month.
    > --
    > Neil
    > swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email

    depending on how valuable it is to one of the bobbies eh? :O)

    It doesn't half annoy me that Treasure trove thing though... specially
    Scotland's

    http://www.channel4.com/history/timeteam/faqs_2.html

    Paul Heslop, Nov 2, 2006
  11. PitR

    Carol Guest

    A Nikon camera was stolen from a locked cabinet at work a few years
    ago. While making the appropriate reports I was instructed to notify
    Nikon of the theft. Although it was many, many years ago and if memory
    serves, the customer service rep I spoke with at Nikon took the serial
    number in order to make a note in their data base in case the camera
    came in for repairs.

    I am sure Sony does the same and may even be able to contact the owner
    on your behalf. Never waste the opportunity to do the right thing.

    Carol

    Carol, Nov 2, 2006
  12. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > >
    > > On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:23:01 +0000, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > >

    > > > In the UK you take it to the police station. They take your name and

    snip

    Here's what happens in the States:

    <<http://www.propertyroom.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=331
    39208&cgmenbr=31895249&gallery=>>

    Joe

    Joseph Rooney, Nov 2, 2006
  13. PitR

    Matt Ion Guest

    PitR wrote:
    > Hi all..
    >
    > Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    > It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    > condition..
    >
    > It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    > it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..
    >
    > Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    > its CD..

    Were there any pictures still on it? Someone may be missing irreplaceable
    memories there...

    http://tinyurl.com/yjsp34

    Matt Ion, Nov 2, 2006
  14. PitR

    All_Thumbs Guest

    "Joseph Rooney" <> wrote in message

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    >> Neil Ellwood wrote:

    > snip
    >
    > Here's what happens in the States:
    >
    > <<http://www.propertyroom.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=331
    > 39208&cgmenbr=31895249&gallery=>>
    >
    > Joe

    Same link as above ...

    http://tinyurl.com/yhslzr

    All_Thumbs, Nov 2, 2006
  15. PitR

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Carol wrote:

    > A Nikon camera was stolen from a locked cabinet at work a few years
    > ago. While making the appropriate reports I was instructed to notify
    > Nikon of the theft. Although it was many, many years ago and if memory
    > serves, the customer service rep I spoke with at Nikon took the serial
    > number in order to make a note in their data base in case the camera
    > came in for repairs.
    >
    > I am sure Sony does the same and may even be able to contact the owner
    > on your behalf. Never waste the opportunity to do the right thing.
    >
    > Carol

    That's actually pretty cool

    Paul Heslop, Nov 2, 2006
  16. PitR

    PitR Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > PitR wrote:
    > > Hi all..
    > >
    > > Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    > > It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    > > condition..
    > >
    > > It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    > > it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..
    > >
    > > Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    > > its CD..

    > Were there any pictures still on it? Someone may be missing irreplaceable
    > memories there...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yjsp34

    There were.. About 8 or 9 pictures of what seemed to be a crime scene..
    There were pictures of a broken fence, a footprint on mud with a ruler
    next to it, pictures of tyre tracks, and the inside of an abandoned
    building..

    PitR, Nov 2, 2006
  17. PitR

    Guest

    All_Thumbs wrote:
    > "Joseph Rooney" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message

    > > snip
    > >
    > > Here's what happens in the States:
    > >
    > > <<http://www.propertyroom.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=331
    > > 39208&cgmenbr=31895249&gallery=>>
    > >
    > > Joe
    > >

    > Same link as above ...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yhslzr

    That happens in the UK too, e.g.
    http://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/XcAPViewInCat.asp?ID=27 but I
    suspect (sorry) that these are stolen goods recovered in raids on
    burglars/fences rather than lost and found.

    Chris

    , Nov 3, 2006
  18. PitR

    minnesotti Guest

    PitR wrote:
    > Matt Ion wrote:
    > > PitR wrote:
    > > > Hi all..
    > > >
    > > > Driving along a few days ago I saw on the street a Sony Mavica CD500.
    > > > It has an external mount flash and the camera seems to be in decent
    > > > condition..
    > > >
    > > > It appears as if though it had been dropped from a moving vehicle, as
    > > > it has bumps and scratches, and the flash glass cover is missing..
    > > >
    > > > Nevertheless, pictures are still being taken and they get recorded into
    > > > its CD..

    > > Were there any pictures still on it? Someone may be missing irreplaceable
    > > memories there...
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/yjsp34

    > There were.. About 8 or 9 pictures of what seemed to be a crime scene..
    > There were pictures of a broken fence, a footprint on mud with a ruler
    > next to it, pictures of tyre tracks, and the inside of an abandoned
    > building..

    Then the camera was owned by the real estate agent who impressed the
    damage to the client's rental property ...

    minnesotti, Nov 3, 2006