I feel stupid...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by K M, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. K M

    K M Guest

    I am trying to

    I am trying to help a friend...(should have ran away...Ha! Ha!)

    The laptop stopped recognizing the hard drive, I reformatted and was
    successful. I have the original OS xp-home cd from Dell. I cannot install it
    from a DOS prompt. So..in my infinite wisdom I decided to load a copy of 98
    for pc's without windows. My thought was to load 98, and then install the xp
    cd...

    98 installed but I cannot see the cd drive (D:) If I boot from a startup
    disk and select "start with cd rom support" I can then access the cd rom
    drive, but still cannot install xp from a dos prompt.

    My questions are:

    Why can't I see the cd drive in 98? and I can access it in DOS?

    How can I install xp? (and no it won't boot from the cd...I have tried and
    tried)

    I have the OS and driver cd's from Dell.

    What the heck am I doing wrong?

    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Kyle

    K M, Sep 21, 2004

  2. K M

    colin Guest

    K M <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to
    >
    > I am trying to help a friend...(should have ran away...Ha! Ha!)
    >
    > The laptop stopped recognizing the hard drive, I reformatted and was
    > successful. I have the original OS xp-home cd from Dell. I cannot install

    it
    > from a DOS prompt. So..in my infinite wisdom I decided to load a copy of

    98
    > for pc's without windows. My thought was to load 98, and then install the

    xp
    > cd...
    >
    > 98 installed but I cannot see the cd drive (D:) If I boot from a startup
    > disk and select "start with cd rom support" I can then access the cd rom
    > drive, but still cannot install xp from a dos prompt.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > Why can't I see the cd drive in 98? and I can access it in DOS?
    >
    > How can I install xp? (and no it won't boot from the cd...I have tried and
    > tried)
    >
    > I have the OS and driver cd's from Dell.
    >
    > What the heck am I doing wrong?
    >
    > THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Kyle

    Has your laptop got a floppy drive?
    If so, you could download and create the 6 disk boot floppies to install xp.

    Winxp_en_hom_bf.exe

    Boot disk for Windows XP Home. To use it download the file to your hard
    drive, make sure you have 6 blank floppy disks ready then double click on
    the file to make a boot disk set. ** THIS FILE WILL NOT WORK FOR WINDOWS XP
    Pro **

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/WinXPHome/Install/310994/WIN98MeXP/EN
    -US/WinXP_EN_HOM_BF.EXE

    colin, Sep 21, 2004

  3. K M

    Dave Guest

    Try this: go into the set up when booting and change the boot order so it
    will boot from the cd drive first. Reformat the hard drive. Put the xp cd
    into the cd drive and re-boot the computer. It should install then.

    Dave, Sep 21, 2004
  4. K M

    Payne747 Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Try this: go into the set up when booting and change the boot order so it
    > will boot from the cd drive first. Reformat the hard drive. Put the xp cd
    > into the cd drive and re-boot the computer. It should install then.
    > "K M" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am trying to
    >>
    >>I am trying to help a friend...(should have ran away...Ha! Ha!)
    >>
    >> The laptop stopped recognizing the hard drive, I reformatted and was
    >>successful. I have the original OS xp-home cd from Dell. I cannot install

    > it
    >
    >>from a DOS prompt. So..in my infinite wisdom I decided to load a copy of

    > 98
    >
    >>for pc's without windows. My thought was to load 98, and then install the

    > xp
    >
    >>cd...
    >>
    >> 98 installed but I cannot see the cd drive (D:) If I boot from a startup
    >>disk and select "start with cd rom support" I can then access the cd rom
    >>drive, but still cannot install xp from a dos prompt.
    >>
    >>My questions are:
    >>
    >>Why can't I see the cd drive in 98? and I can access it in DOS?
    >>
    >>How can I install xp? (and no it won't boot from the cd...I have tried and
    >>tried)
    >>
    >>I have the OS and driver cd's from Dell.
    >>
    >>What the heck am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >>THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >>Kyle

    Whatever you do, installing Windows XP over 98 is a big no. Causes way
    to many problems. Chances are your OS media\CD Drive\Boot sequence is
    faulty since Widnows XP DOES boot from CD.

    Payne747, Sep 21, 2004
  5. K M

    K M Guest

    I understand what you are saying, but...I am using a Dell cd that contains
    the OS. Should this still hold true as far as booting? I did change the boot
    sequence in the BIOS. I'll give it a shot again, but it does not seem to
    want to fire up. As I stated, when I boot to 98, it does not show the cd
    drive. Just A & C...So should the xp cd still boot if 98 doesn't think that
    it is there?

    I do appreciate your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Kyle

    K M, Sep 22, 2004
  6. K M

    colin Guest

    K M <> wrote in message
    > I understand what you are saying, but...I am using a Dell cd that contains
    > the OS. Should this still hold true as far as booting? I did change the

    boot
    > sequence in the BIOS. I'll give it a shot again, but it does not seem to
    > want to fire up. As I stated, when I boot to 98, it does not show the cd
    > drive. Just A & C...So should the xp cd still boot if 98 doesn't think

    that
    > it is there?
    >
    > I do appreciate your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Kyle
    > "Payne747" <> wrote in message
    > > Dave wrote:
    > >> Try this: go into the set up when booting and change the boot order so

    it
    > >> will boot from the cd drive first. Reformat the hard drive. Put the xp

    cd
    > >> into the cd drive and re-boot the computer. It should install then.
    > >> "K M" <> wrote in message

    install

    > >> it

    of

    > >> 98

    the

    > >> xp

    rom

    If you really have to try to install xp from your 98 os, you could boot 98
    with the following:

    <autoexec.bat>
    MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

    <config.sys>
    DEVICE=CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

    Correct the `above` for the real location of mscdex.exe and a generic
    ide/or otherwise cdrom driver.

    note: you may get compatibility warnings in your device manager, but you
    should be able to install xp reguardless.

    colin, Sep 22, 2004
  7. K M

    Payne747 Guest

    colin wrote:
    > K M <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I understand what you are saying, but...I am using a Dell cd that contains
    >>the OS. Should this still hold true as far as booting? I did change the

    > boot
    >
    >>sequence in the BIOS. I'll give it a shot again, but it does not seem to
    >>want to fire up. As I stated, when I boot to 98, it does not show the cd
    >>drive. Just A & C...So should the xp cd still boot if 98 doesn't think

    > that
    >
    >>it is there?
    >>
    >>I do appreciate your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>
    >>Kyle
    >>"Payne747" <> wrote in message

    > it

    > cd

    > install

    > of

    > the

    > rom

    > If you really have to try to install xp from your 98 os, you could boot 98
    > with the following:
    >
    > <autoexec.bat>
    > MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
    >
    > <config.sys>
    > DEVICE=CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
    >

    > Correct the `above` for the real location of mscdex.exe and a generic
    > ide/or otherwise cdrom driver.
    >
    > note: you may get compatibility warnings in your device manager, but you
    > should be able to install xp reguardless.

    Check to see if your BIOS detects the CD drive, if not then most
    definetly a screwed CD drive. They only cost about £15 - £20 now.

    --
    Payne747
    http://www-the-serpent.co.uk

    Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.

    Payne747, Sep 23, 2004
  8. K M

    ProfGene Guest

    When you had the fresh reformat, couldn't you boot to the XP cdrom install
    it by setting the bios to boot to the cdrom drive as first choice? If the
    bios does not allow this can't you use a startup disk to activate the cdrom
    install disk?

    ProfGene, Sep 25, 2004