I.E wants to send a report.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Occasionally when opening a webpage with
    I.E. 6.# I see a box that wants to send a
    report to Microsoft.
    This doesn't occur on all webpages opened,
    I think it might be pages using a particular type
    of script?

    I also have a second PC that performed
    perfectly until the other night when the same
    report box appeared when trying to open a
    webpage.
    I had loaded Msasync for my PDA on this
    second machine prior to the error occurring.
    And thinking back the error didn't happen on
    the main PC before Msasync was installed
    either.

    I've tried uninstalling the software without
    success and also scanned the registry for any
    obvious entries to delete, no luck. Also tried
    reinstalling I.E. to no avail.

    Anyone any experience on this and a possible
    cure?
    Nick, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Nick

    Tony Cortese Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:57:17 GMT, Nick wrote:

    > Occasionally when opening a webpage with
    > I.E. 6.# I see a box that wants to send a
    > report to Microsoft.
    > This doesn't occur on all webpages opened,
    > I think it might be pages using a particular type
    > of script?
    >
    > I also have a second PC that performed
    > perfectly until the other night when the same
    > report box appeared when trying to open a
    > webpage.
    > I had loaded Msasync for my PDA on this
    > second machine prior to the error occurring.
    > And thinking back the error didn't happen on
    > the main PC before Msasync was installed
    > either.
    >
    > I've tried uninstalling the software without
    > success and also scanned the registry for any
    > obvious entries to delete, no luck. Also tried
    > reinstalling I.E. to no avail.
    >
    > Anyone any experience on this and a possible
    > cure?

    There's a service I forgot what it's called, reporting service?, which you
    can disable. Hopefully it truns off all requests for sending error requests
    to MS.

    --
    Tony Cortese
    Tony Cortese, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Nick

    DC Guest

    Spiner's Lover. wrote:

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >> [...]

    > It's Microsofts own error reporting tool, if there is a problem this pops up
    > & asks if you'd like to send them a report, I'd love to know how to disable
    > it as I think it creates more problems/crashes than it's supposed to help
    > with.

    http://www.google.ca/search?q=disable error reporting windows xp

    Not surprisingly, this was the first Google hit:
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html

    Impressive search engine, that Google. You should try it.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 23, 2004
  4. "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Occasionally when opening a webpage with
    > I.E. 6.# I see a box that wants to send a
    > report to Microsoft.
    > This doesn't occur on all webpages opened,
    > I think it might be pages using a particular type
    > of script?
    >
    > I also have a second PC that performed
    > perfectly until the other night when the same
    > report box appeared when trying to open a
    > webpage.
    > I had loaded Msasync for my PDA on this
    > second machine prior to the error occurring.
    > And thinking back the error didn't happen on
    > the main PC before Msasync was installed
    > either.
    >
    > I've tried uninstalling the software without
    > success and also scanned the registry for any
    > obvious entries to delete, no luck. Also tried
    > reinstalling I.E. to no avail.
    >
    > Anyone any experience on this and a possible
    > cure?

    It's Microsofts own error reporting tool, if there is a problem this pops up
    & asks if you'd like to send them a report, I'd love to know how to disable
    it as I think it creates more problems/crashes than it's supposed to help
    with.

    Virginia.
    --
    Remove the word 'Brent' to reply.
    Spiner's Lover., Aug 23, 2004
  5. Nick

    Virginia. Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Spiner's Lover. wrote:
    >
    > > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    > >> [...]

    > > It's Microsofts own error reporting tool, if there is a problem this

    pops up
    > > & asks if you'd like to send them a report, I'd love to know how to

    disable
    > > it as I think it creates more problems/crashes than it's supposed to

    help
    > > with.

    > http://www.google.ca/search?q=disable error reporting windows xp
    >
    > Not surprisingly, this was the first Google hit:
    > http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html
    >
    > Impressive search engine, that Google. You should try it.
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

    I *have* used Google search & Microsofts own help section but I couldn't
    find anything for my OS Win 98 SE, it only gives Win XP; I don't have an
    advanced tab listed under system so couldn't use their help.

    Virginia.
    Virginia., Aug 24, 2004
  6. Nick

    DC Guest

    Virginia. wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Spiner's Lover. wrote:

    >> > "Nick" <> wrote in message

    >> > It's Microsofts own error reporting tool, if there is a problem this

    > pops up
    >> > & asks if you'd like to send them a report, I'd love to know how to

    > disable
    >> > it as I think it creates more problems/crashes than it's supposed to

    > help
    >> > with.

    >> http://www.google.ca/search?q=disable error reporting windows xp

    >> Not surprisingly, this was the first Google hit:
    >> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html

    >> Impressive search engine, that Google. You should try it.

    > I *have* used Google search & Microsofts own help section but I couldn't
    > find anything for my OS Win 98 SE, it only gives Win XP; I don't have an
    > advanced tab listed under system so couldn't use their help.

    Well, mentioning your OS would have been helpful then. I've never heard
    of error reporting from IE/Win98se, so I immediately assumed XP.

    You'll get more accurate assistance if you include such relevant info in
    your question, next time.

    Have a look at this:

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Sorry I couldn't help further. Good luck.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Nick

    Guest Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Virginia. wrote:
    >
    > > "DC" <> wrote in message

    > > pops up

    > > disable

    > > help

    > >> http://www.google.ca/search?q=disable error reporting windows xp

    > >> Not surprisingly, this was the first Google hit:
    > >> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/tune-08.html

    > >> Impressive search engine, that Google. You should try it.

    > > I *have* used Google search & Microsofts own help section but I couldn't
    > > find anything for my OS Win 98 SE, it only gives Win XP; I don't have an
    > > advanced tab listed under system so couldn't use their help.

    > Well, mentioning your OS would have been helpful then. I've never heard
    > of error reporting from IE/Win98se, so I immediately assumed XP.
    >
    > You'll get more accurate assistance if you include such relevant info in
    > your question, next time.
    >
    > Have a look at this:

    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > Sorry I couldn't help further. Good luck.
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

    I actually didn't ask the question originally, I merely replied to the
    original question by saying this too was affecting my computer, yes with
    hindsight I should've mentioned that I wasn't running XP & I apologise for
    that.
    The error reporting comes as part of IE 6 sp 1 I believe, in any case after
    downloading this update the error reporting pop-up began.

    Virginia.
    Guest, Aug 25, 2004
  8. Nick

    imacaulay Guest

    only sugguest is under the run box

    msconfig thing it is under the services called error reporting. Turn the box
    check mark off then reboot. See if that turns the feature off.

    Found there is a referance to it under there I think I have turned it off.
    if it is a scripting one under advanced in settings in ie turning off that
    box as well should stop those.

    imacaulay, Aug 26, 2004
  9. Nick

    Guest Guest

    "imacaulay" <> wrote in message
    > only sugguest is under the run box
    >
    > msconfig thing it is under the services called error reporting. Turn the

    box
    > check mark off then reboot. See if that turns the feature off.
    >
    > Found there is a referance to it under there I think I have turned it off.
    > if it is a scripting one under advanced in settings in ie turning off that
    > box as well should stop those.
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DC" <> wrote in message

    this

    > >> Well, mentioning your OS would have been helpful then. I've never

    heard
    > >> of error reporting from IE/Win98se, so I immediately assumed XP.
    > >>
    > >> You'll get more accurate assistance if you include such relevant info

    in
    > >> your question, next time.
    > >>
    > >> Have a look at this:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>

    > >> Sorry I couldn't help further. Good luck.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    > >>
    > >> Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

    > > I actually didn't ask the question originally, I merely replied to the
    > > original question by saying this too was affecting my computer, yes with
    > > hindsight I should've mentioned that I wasn't running XP & I apologise

    for
    > > that.
    > > The error reporting comes as part of IE 6 sp 1 I believe, in any case
    > > after
    > > downloading this update the error reporting pop-up began.
    > >
    > > Virginia.

    Thanks for the suggestions, I've searched under the mscofig & there is no
    services tab nor any sign of a box to uncheck.
    As for the scripting box under ie, it's already turned off.

    It seems Win 98 users are stuck with it.

    Virginia.
    Guest, Aug 26, 2004