I don't want to mess up

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi
    I am new to digital images.
    I just bought an epson 3200 photo scanner.
    I know it may not be the best in the world.
    But is is what I have. I am about to start to
    scan and archive all my analog photos.
    I have photos of every size, also negatives of
    every size and some slides. this scanner has many
    different slide-negative holders, etc for that.

    Because I will be scanning a few thousand images, I want to choose a good
    DPI to scan these in. I do not want to discover
    that I should have done something differently,
    After I scanned in hundreds of pictures.
    I just want to get the raw stock onto cd,s
    I can retouch, edit, crop, or whatever later on.
    Or maybe never.. But if I want to print, enlarge
    or whatever later on , I want to have a good quality
    scan to work with.

    My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    scanning as far as DPI goes.

    I would welcome any tips from the group.

    Thanks Mike
    Mike, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Mike

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in news:TxA0c.34563$-
    kc.rr.com:

    > My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    > for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    > for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    > scanning as far as DPI goes.

    Depends on what you intend to do.

    If you scan all your photos at 300dpi, you'll end up with good prints at
    1:1 size. However, if you intend on blowing up smaller prints, you may want
    to scan those prints at 600dpi or higher thus giving you more pixels to
    work with.

    Scanning is VERY tedious and time consuming. I pity you ; )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Mike

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Mike" <> stated that:

    >My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    >for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    >for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    >scanning as far as DPI goes.

    Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to your question, as it totally
    depends on what you want to do with each image. For a couple of
    examples; if you just want to be able to reprint scanned prints at about
    the same size on an inkjet printer, 200DPI @ 24 bits should be fine.
    OTOH, if you want to print enlargements from scanned slides or neg's,
    you would probably need to use the highest resolution that your scanner
    is capable of, which will result in really enormous file sizes.

    Lionel, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Mike

    Mark Herring Guest

    As others have said---it depends. You want a MINIMUM of 300PPI in the
    largest print you ever intend to make....

    Also---following the above statement, you'll need much more
    resolution for negs thatn for prints.

    If in doubt, scan at a higher resolution---memory is cheap.

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:15:39 -0600, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I am new to digital images.
    >I just bought an epson 3200 photo scanner.
    >I know it may not be the best in the world.
    >But is is what I have. I am about to start to
    >scan and archive all my analog photos.
    >I have photos of every size, also negatives of
    >every size and some slides. this scanner has many
    >different slide-negative holders, etc for that.
    >
    >Because I will be scanning a few thousand images, I want to choose a good
    >DPI to scan these in. I do not want to discover
    >that I should have done something differently,
    >After I scanned in hundreds of pictures.
    >I just want to get the raw stock onto cd,s
    >I can retouch, edit, crop, or whatever later on.
    >Or maybe never.. But if I want to print, enlarge
    >or whatever later on , I want to have a good quality
    >scan to work with.
    >
    >My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    >for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    >for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    >scanning as far as DPI goes.
    >
    >I would welcome any tips from the group.
    >
    >Thanks Mike

    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Mike

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Mark Herring <> stated that:

    >As others have said---it depends. You want a MINIMUM of 300PPI in the
    >largest print you ever intend to make....
    >
    >Also---following the above statement, you'll need much more
    >resolution for negs thatn for prints.
    >
    >If in doubt, scan at a higher resolution---memory is cheap.

    As are DVD-R platters.

    Lionel, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Lionel <> writes:

    > Kibo informs me that "Mike" <> stated that:
    >
    >>My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    >>for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    >>for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    >>scanning as far as DPI goes.

    > Unfortunately, there's no simple answer to your question, as it totally
    > depends on what you want to do with each image. For a couple of
    > examples; if you just want to be able to reprint scanned prints at about
    > the same size on an inkjet printer, 200DPI @ 24 bits should be fine.
    > OTOH, if you want to print enlargements from scanned slides or neg's,
    > you would probably need to use the highest resolution that your scanner
    > is capable of, which will result in really enormous file sizes.

    I'd amend that very slightly -- the highest *real optical* resolution
    that his scanner is capable of. Which, I'm sure, is what you mean;
    but it's quite likely *NOT* the highest resolution number exhibited in
    the interface; I very frequently see scanners let you let you select
    "resolutions" that have no bearing on reality at all. (Perhaps the
    Epson doesn't, but I've gotten in the habit of being careful when I
    use the phrase "highest resolution" with regard to a scanner in
    general.)
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Mike

    BillH Guest

    A good website to start with is:
    http://www.scantips.com/

    I also have the same scanner for archiving and for passing
    on to the kids of relatives. I am scanning at 48-bit (color)
    and 16-bit (b&w) so that I can adjust colors as best as
    possible. In general I'm scanning at a high dpi so that
    others can crop if they desire. The lowest I scan
    is 400 dpi (color) & 800 (b&w). For prints smaller
    than 4x6 I scan at higher dpi.

    BillH, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Mike

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am new to digital images.
    > I just bought an epson 3200 photo scanner.
    > I know it may not be the best in the world.
    > But is is what I have. I am about to start to
    > scan and archive all my analog photos.
    > I have photos of every size, also negatives of
    > every size and some slides. this scanner has many
    > different slide-negative holders, etc for that.
    >
    > Because I will be scanning a few thousand images, I want to choose a good
    > DPI to scan these in. I do not want to discover
    > that I should have done something differently,
    > After I scanned in hundreds of pictures.
    > I just want to get the raw stock onto cd,s
    > I can retouch, edit, crop, or whatever later on.
    > Or maybe never.. But if I want to print, enlarge
    > or whatever later on , I want to have a good quality
    > scan to work with.
    >
    > My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    > for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    > for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    > scanning as far as DPI goes.
    >
    > I would welcome any tips from the group.
    >
    > Thanks Mike

    For prints, 300dpi. For negatives and slides, the highest optical
    resolution available on your scanner.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Mike

    Ron Hunter Guest

    BillH wrote:

    > A good website to start with is:
    > http://www.scantips.com/
    >
    > I also have the same scanner for archiving and for passing
    > on to the kids of relatives. I am scanning at 48-bit (color)
    > and 16-bit (b&w) so that I can adjust colors as best as
    > possible. In general I'm scanning at a high dpi so that
    > others can crop if they desire. The lowest I scan
    > is 400 dpi (color) & 800 (b&w). For prints smaller
    > than 4x6 I scan at higher dpi.
    >
    > Mike wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>I am new to digital images.
    >>I just bought an epson 3200 photo scanner.
    >>I know it may not be the best in the world.
    >>But is is what I have. I am about to start to
    >>scan and archive all my analog photos.
    >>I have photos of every size, also negatives of
    >>every size and some slides. this scanner has many
    >>different slide-negative holders, etc for that.
    >>
    >>Because I will be scanning a few thousand images, I want to choose a good
    >>DPI to scan these in. I do not want to discover
    >>that I should have done something differently,
    >>After I scanned in hundreds of pictures.
    >>I just want to get the raw stock onto cd,s
    >>I can retouch, edit, crop, or whatever later on.
    >>Or maybe never.. But if I want to print, enlarge
    >>or whatever later on , I want to have a good quality
    >>scan to work with.
    >>
    >>My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    >>for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    >>for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    >>scanning as far as DPI goes.
    >>
    >>I would welcome any tips from the group.
    >>
    >>Thanks Mike

    You are wasting time and storage space. Read www.scantips.com for
    complete explanation.
    Ron Hunter, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Mike

    mark_digital Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am new to digital images.
    > I just bought an epson 3200 photo scanner.
    > I know it may not be the best in the world.
    > But is is what I have. I am about to start to
    > scan and archive all my analog photos.
    > I have photos of every size, also negatives of
    > every size and some slides. this scanner has many
    > different slide-negative holders, etc for that.
    >
    > Because I will be scanning a few thousand images, I want to choose a good
    > DPI to scan these in. I do not want to discover
    > that I should have done something differently,
    > After I scanned in hundreds of pictures.
    > I just want to get the raw stock onto cd,s
    > I can retouch, edit, crop, or whatever later on.
    > Or maybe never.. But if I want to print, enlarge
    > or whatever later on , I want to have a good quality
    > scan to work with.
    >
    > My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    > for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    > for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    > scanning as far as DPI goes.
    >
    > I would welcome any tips from the group.
    >
    > Thanks Mike

    Digitizing your photos is a good excuse to bring them out of storage and
    enjoy them.
    Wear cotton gloves while handling them.
    Decide on a naming convention for categorizing.
    Disposable whiffers for general dusting are excellent at cleaning fine
    particles from
    the scanner glass. They're very gentle.
    mark_digital, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Mike

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Most print scanners do a good job- I am sure your Epson will also.

    Decide what total resolution you want. How big is your hard drive, or
    do you intend to archive all files onto a CDROM?

    In any case, use something like 6 to 10 Mp total pixels in the image.
    Take an approximate square root of that, i.e., about 3 thousand or so.
    Divide that number by long side of prints you want to scan. Increase to
    next even number to set a ppi.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Mar 1, 2004
  12. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am new to digital images.
    > I just bought an epson 3200 photo scanner.
    > I know it may not be the best in the world.
    > But is is what I have. I am about to start to
    > scan and archive all my analog photos.
    > I have photos of every size, also negatives of
    > every size and some slides. this scanner has many
    > different slide-negative holders, etc for that.
    >
    > Because I will be scanning a few thousand images, I want to choose a good
    > DPI to scan these in. I do not want to discover
    > that I should have done something differently,
    > After I scanned in hundreds of pictures.
    > I just want to get the raw stock onto cd,s
    > I can retouch, edit, crop, or whatever later on.
    > Or maybe never.. But if I want to print, enlarge
    > or whatever later on , I want to have a good quality
    > scan to work with.
    >
    > My question to the group is, Is there a good setting
    > for all my scans, or must I change the scan settings
    > for each picture ? And what would be overkill for
    > scanning as far as DPI goes.
    >
    > I would welcome any tips from the group.
    >
    > Thanks Mike

    For ordinary prints, there is no gain from scanning at more than 250 or 300
    dpi. That will get all of the detail that can be on a paper print. Slides
    and negaitives call for more dpi in the scan.
    Marvin Margoshes, Mar 1, 2004