I don't like spiders and snakes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renee, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Renee, Apr 25, 2005

  2. Renee

    paul Guest

    Renee wrote:
    > Or buzzing things like bees But I never seem to mind Getting close to these
    >
    > http://photofan.multiply.com/photos/photo/9/1.jpg

    Always a joy to photograph! And as you say not easy to chase them around
    looking for a shot.

    I downloaded that first one & adjusted the brightness & contrast (er
    gamma levels & curves) to get a better exposure on the butterfly & the
    background went clean white except a bit of shadow under the bug. No
    problem losing that painted pool deck texture.

    paul, Apr 26, 2005

  3. Renee

    Renee Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Renee wrote:
    >> Or buzzing things like bees But I never seem to mind Getting close to
    >> these
    >>
    >> http://photofan.multiply.com/photos/photo/9/1.jpg

    > Always a joy to photograph! And as you say not easy to chase them around
    > looking for a shot.
    >
    > I downloaded that first one & adjusted the brightness & contrast (er gamma
    > levels & curves) to get a better exposure on the butterfly & the
    > background went clean white except a bit of shadow under the bug. No
    > problem losing that painted pool deck texture.

    Yes, I had a lot of trouble with my exposure. The subject and I were in the
    shade, the pool and deck reflected so much light that it kept coming out
    dark, and so I finally decided it looked best with a +2/3 EV using AEB. I
    also tried some other shots using a fast shutter because of all the
    movement, and as you see, those came out a lot darker. I know this kind of
    stuff comes easy to the pros and comes out a lot better using a pro camera.
    But I'm happy just to have gotten what I did.

    Are your adjustments an improvement? If so, I'd be very interested in
    getting that first one you fixed up. Do you have some place I can download
    it from?

    TIA

    Renee

    Renee, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Renee

    paul Guest

    Renee wrote:

    > "paul" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Renee wrote:
    >>
    >>>Or buzzing things like bees But I never seem to mind Getting close to
    >>>these
    >>>
    >>>http://photofan.multiply.com/photos/photo/9/1.jpg

    >>Always a joy to photograph! And as you say not easy to chase them around
    >>looking for a shot.
    >>
    >>I downloaded that first one & adjusted the brightness & contrast (er gamma
    >>levels & curves) to get a better exposure on the butterfly & the
    >>background went clean white except a bit of shadow under the bug. No
    >>problem losing that painted pool deck texture.

    > Yes, I had a lot of trouble with my exposure. The subject and I were in the
    > shade, the pool and deck reflected so much light that it kept coming out
    > dark, and so I finally decided it looked best with a +2/3 EV using AEB. I
    > also tried some other shots using a fast shutter because of all the
    > movement, and as you see, those came out a lot darker. I know this kind of
    > stuff comes easy to the pros and comes out a lot better using a pro camera.
    > But I'm happy just to have gotten what I did.
    >
    > Are your adjustments an improvement? If so, I'd be very interested in
    > getting that first one you fixed up. Do you have some place I can download
    > it from?

    http://www.edgehill.net/temp/
    Some purple (fringing?) effects on the antenae but overall kind of an
    'angel in the clouds' feeling.

    I'm not accustomed to using levels but this time I used levels to
    brighten up the midpoint (butterfly) then used curves to increase the
    contrast which blew the background out. I think it looks fine, no
    obvious purple fringe problems, I usually see awful things happening at
    the edge with something like that.

    paul, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Renee

    Renee Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Renee wrote:
    >
    >> "paul" <> wrote in message

    >>>Always a joy to photograph! And as you say not easy to chase them around
    >>>looking for a shot.
    >>>
    >>>I downloaded that first one & adjusted the brightness & contrast (er
    >>>gamma levels & curves) to get a better exposure on the butterfly & the
    >>>background went clean white except a bit of shadow under the bug. No
    >>>problem losing that painted pool deck texture.

    >> Yes, I had a lot of trouble with my exposure. The subject and I were in
    >> the shade, the pool and deck reflected so much light that it kept coming
    >> out dark, and so I finally decided it looked best with a +2/3 EV using
    >> AEB. I also tried some other shots using a fast shutter because of all
    >> the movement, and as you see, those came out a lot darker. I know this
    >> kind of stuff comes easy to the pros and comes out a lot better using a
    >> pro camera. But I'm happy just to have gotten what I did.
    >>
    >> Are your adjustments an improvement? If so, I'd be very interested in
    >> getting that first one you fixed up. Do you have some place I can
    >> download it from?

    > http://www.edgehill.net/temp/
    > Some purple (fringing?) effects on the antenae but overall kind of an
    > 'angel in the clouds' feeling.
    >
    > I'm not accustomed to using levels but this time I used levels to brighten
    > up the midpoint (butterfly) then used curves to increase the contrast
    > which blew the background out. I think it looks fine, no obvious purple
    > fringe problems, I usually see awful things happening at the edge with
    > something like that.

    It looks very good! Thank you, Paul!

    Had to keep switching between the two to see the difference. Your colors
    look more vibrant.

    I downloaded it but noticed it was only 640 x 480 and 50k. Do you have a
    higher res image I can somehow get from you?

    Also, I imagine adding some colorful, complementary backdrop to that all
    white background might really enhance photo. I'll have to play around with
    that one.

    Renee, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Renee

    paul Guest

    Renee wrote:

    > Also, I imagine adding some colorful, complementary backdrop to that all
    > white background might really enhance photo. I'll have to play around with
    > that one.

    http://www.edgehill.net/temp/more.htm

    : - )

    (ack, stop me)

    paul, Apr 26, 2005
  7. Renee

    paul Guest

    PS I got that blue from the shadows on the ground with the eyedropper tool.

    paul, Apr 26, 2005
  8. Renee

    Renee Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Renee wrote:
    >>
    >> Also, I imagine adding some colorful, complementary backdrop to that all
    >> white background might really enhance photo. I'll have to play around
    >> with that one.

    > http://www.edgehill.net/temp/more.htm
    >
    > : - )
    >
    > (ack, stop me)

    :-D - Wow, that's *my* butterfly!?! Thank you! The butterfly has a better
    color and blue looks very good with it. I also like what you did by shading
    the blue from light to dark. That's a nice effect.

    I've been wanting to pick up some colored Hanes for making myself some yard
    T-shirts. I thought I'd put some of my photos on them using transfer paper.
    Certainly not because they're particularly wonderful, but because I'd like
    to do something more with them than just store them on my hard drive. This
    one might be just the ticket. It'll help keep me motivated while I'm out
    picking garden weeds in the blazing sun this summer. I'll probably shape the
    blue background into an oval and put a fancy border on it. A butterfly would
    look good on a front shirt pocket, or blown up a little larger on the back.

    It looks really nice, Paul. But a couple of questions -- I know it wasn't
    perfect to begin with, but how ever did my right antennae get bent?
    ;-)
    Did you cut the image out and place it on top of the background, or did you
    use the paint bucket? If you used the paint bucket, could the effect have
    been cause by -- since mentioned there was a slight purple fringe around the
    antennae -- the blue bleeding into it when you poured the color? If you cut
    out the butterfly, would expanding the selection outward a tiny bit have
    made a difference. I know some programs have that feature to expand or
    contract a selection by so many pixels. But I guess if you expanded the
    selection outward a little more you might wind up with a white edge in some
    places. Sorry -- don't mean to be rambling. I don't use photo editing
    programs that much so I'm pretty curious about it. Not that any of this
    matters -- I think it looks great and like it just the same.

    :)

    Renee

    Renee, Apr 26, 2005
  9. Renee

    paul Guest

    Renee wrote:

    > a couple of questions -- I know it wasn't
    > perfect to begin with, but how ever did my right antennae get bent?
    > ;-)

    I didn't do it <g>

    > Did you cut the image out and place it on top of the background, or did you
    > use the paint bucket? If you used the paint bucket, could the effect have
    > been cause by -- since mentioned there was a slight purple fringe around the
    > antennae -- the blue bleeding into it when you poured the color?

    Yep, I just used the magic want (same effect as paint bucket) repeatedly
    on remaining bits & the butterfly has a black trim so it nevers spilled
    over. There is still a bit of white trim remaining. The background was
    done with layers but you could prepare the background in one image,
    select the butterfly & paste onto the background. Paint-bucket pure
    white then magic wand that & invert the selection or delete & copy the
    remainder. What program do you have?

    > If you cut
    > out the butterfly, would expanding the selection outward a tiny bit have
    > made a difference. I know some programs have that feature to expand or
    > contract a selection by so many pixels.

    Yep, that might help & your concern below might also be a problem. I did
    it pretty quick & the picture was easy to work with!

    paul, Apr 27, 2005
  10. Renee

    Renee Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Renee wrote:
    >
    >> a couple of questions -- I know it wasn't perfect to begin with, but how
    >> ever did my right antennae get bent?
    >> ;-)

    > I didn't do it <g>

    Hmmm, so say you . . . well I'm going to fixed my broken antennae now.

    :)

    >What program do you have?

    I have so many of them I can't keep track -- one each came with my new and
    old desktops, another with my laptop, one from my husband's computer, one
    each from my new and old printers, one each from my new and old cameras, and
    a variety of other shareware ones I've picked up along the way. I want to
    start using PS regularly, and I keep PSP around because it has a good noise
    and chromatic aberration correction feature. I should just uninstall most of
    them but every once in a while I find some redeeming quality in them that
    could come in handy some time.

    Renee

    Renee, Apr 28, 2005